Homemade Roasted Sweet Potato and Squash Salad Dressing

by Maggie on January 13, 2012

The best thing about homemade salad dressing is you get to choose your oil, eliminating unnecessary oils found in store-bought dressings, like soybean oil. Why do they need to put soybean oil in so many sauces and dressings?

I like to use hemp oil, flax oil, or olive oil in my salad dressings. These oils provide flavor, antioxidants, protein, vitamins, and so much more.

When buying oils, I look for organic cold-pressed oils; they’re less processed and higher in all the good stuff, like Vitamin E.

Why is Vitamin E so good for you?

Vitamin E’s key function is to modify and stabilize blood fats so that the blood vessels, the heart, and the entire body are protected from free-radical injury.

The best sources of Vitamin E are the oils found in grains, seeds, nuts, and vegetables. For vitamin E to be preserved though, extraction of the oils must be done naturally.  Cold-pressing is the way to go, rather than via heat or chemical extraction.

Roasted Sweet Potato and Butternut Squash

This recipe makes a great side dish, but try to save it for the salad and the salad dressing!

2 cups sweet potato peeled and chopped into small chunks

3 cups butternut squash, peeled and chopped into small chunks

2-3 cloves of garlic, cut into chunks

2-3 tbsp cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil

salt and pepper to season

1 tbsp balsamic vinegar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a 9×11 pan.
Combine all of the ingredients in the prepared pan. Cover with tinfoil and bake for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, stir squash and sweet potato. Return to oven and bake for another 20-25 minutes. Let cool.

Set aside ½ a cup of roasted vegetables for salad dressing (see below).  Toss remaining roasted vegetables with a green salad.

Roasted Sweet Potato and Squash Vinaigrette

I like to make my dressings ahead of time so the flavors have a chance to marry.

¼ cup water

1 tbsp raw apple cider vinegar

2 tbsp balsamic vinegar

½ cup roasted sweet potatoes and butternut squash

1 large clove of garlic, chopped fine

½ tsp dried oregano

½ tsp dried basil

1 tsp grainy Dijon mustard

1/8 tsp powdered stevia

3 tbsp cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil or flax oil

salt and pepper to taste

Combine all of the ingredients in your blender or food processor. Serve immediately on a beautiful green salad, or store in the fridge until ready to use.

Don’t forget to get your Go Ahead Honey, It’s Gluten-Free post to me – the theme this month is Foods That Heal. I need your submission by January 26th.  I already have some fabulous recipes coming in!

This recipe is linked to Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays

Cara January 13, 2012 at 11:33 am

Maggie, I *love* this. I will put roasted squash just about anywhere I can, but never thought to puree them into a dressing. Genius! I love that it cuts down on oil so much too.

Amber January 13, 2012 at 11:57 am

Looks amazing, Maggie! Can’t agree more about making salad dressings!

Great job.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Hugs,
-Amber

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free January 13, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Yum. Yum. Yum. Yum. I cannot even begin to say that enough about this dressing. I will be making it later. This is just a brilliant idea. I totally mean that. The flavors combined have to be amazing, Maggie! xo

Wendy @ Celiacs in the House January 13, 2012 at 2:12 pm

I was reading this and thinking of Kim’s dip recipe this week and that you two were brilliant. Then I scrolled down to comment and there she was. Is this some kind of sweet potato conspiracy you too? It’s a delicious plot!

Alisa January 13, 2012 at 2:17 pm

This is my kind of recipe Maggie! I’m so addicted to roasted sweet potatoes and squash right now and love the sound of the dressing.

Octavia January 13, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Hello Maggie,
I am not one who leaves a comment about how wonderful your site is but this time you have out done yourself with this simple but healthy dish! I was delighted to have both the butter nut squash and the sweet potato on hand! I cooked this dish today and girlfriend, this is a keeper! Thank you so much for your healthy recipts. I am a vegan, along with being gluten intolerate so finding recipts that are good tasting as well as being healthy is a delight! Again, thank you so much!!!! God Bless you

Ricki January 13, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Such a great idea! I love using veggies in dressings. . . and this one sounds superb. But you’re right–it might be hard to save the roasted sweet potato/squash for the salad & dressing! ;-)

Laura @ Gluten Free Pantry January 13, 2012 at 3:38 pm

I love making my own salad dressings. I never thought to use sweet potato and squash in my dressings-brilliant idea!

Annie January 13, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Its funny being on an anti candida diet in the winter…it makes you realize how much you love root veggies! This looks so good…I’ll definitely saving one of my (very few!) carb servings for trying this soon.

PS Thanks for the tip about Diet, Dessert and Dogs! Looks like it’ll be a great resource.

Iris January 13, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Thank you for this, Maggie! I can’t wait to try this out!

glutenfreeforgood January 14, 2012 at 5:25 pm

The colors in this photograph are absolutely beautiful. You can just see the healing power in the food. I love the idea of blending the vegetables in the dressing. You are definitely a girl after my own heart (err, stomach). =)

Shirley @ gfe January 14, 2012 at 7:44 pm

That is a gorgeous photo, Maggie! I’m all for this idea. I’ve been relying heavily on sweet potatoes lately for that natural sweetness they give. ;-)

Sara @ Plant Powered Mom January 15, 2012 at 9:20 am

A new salad dressing recipe to try – yay! Love the idea of using sweet potato and squash in the dressing, I never would have thought of that. I’ll definitely try this one out.

Alta January 15, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Maggie – so I am headed over to have dinner with the family and I’m bringing a salad with this dressing! I can already tell it’s going to be great – the dressing is so creamy and delicious, and I already love roasted butternut and sweet potato. Having a mixed greens salad with the roasted veggies, thinly sliced radicchio, and jicama cut into matchsticks, plus this dressing. Yippee!

Gena January 16, 2012 at 12:50 pm

I made a b-nut salad dressing once and adored it. This is inspiration to revisit it! Thank you.

Yui May 7, 2012 at 9:40 pm

I always love to have roasted sweet potatoes. When I want to have something sweet and savor at the same time, this is the dish I made. Thanks for the recipe.
How to Make Sweet Potato Fries

Karen February 24, 2013 at 2:37 pm

The dressing looks delicious. I had some leftover baked yam and wanted to use it in a salad dressing but didn’t know where to begin. I was so happy to find your recipe! Dressings made from scratch are so much better than bottled and this one will be so much healthier without all the extra oils, thickeners, stabilizers, and sugar.