Rustic Salad Dressing (and Holiday Entrees & Sides)

by Maggie on December 1, 2011

Rustic Salad Dressing She Let Them Eat Cake.Com

I am well known in dinner and lunch circles for my salads. I love bringing a beautiful, bright, and nutritionally packed salad to share with my friends and family.  It’s the perfect side dish for any meal.

I’ve been re-reading Dr. Joel Fuhrman’s book Eat to Live: The Amazing Nutrient-Rich Program for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss, Revised Edition and I am loving it! His latest book, Super Immunity: The Essential Nutrition Guide for Boosting Your Body’s Defenses to Live Longer, Stronger, and Disease Free is on my Christmas list.

Dr. Fuhrman has inspired me to pack even more nutritionally dense foods into my family at every meal. So a jam-packed salad is a perfect way to do it.  My kids aren’t big on salads yet so I just put a small serving on their plates and hope for the best (how do you get your kids to eat salads?).

Here’s what we love on our salads these days (next to an amazing dressing of course):

Roasted or raw beets (shredded if raw)

Chopped purple cabbage

Raw or roasted nuts and seeds

Avocado

Sprouts

Sun-dried tomatoes

A mix of greens: usually kale and romaine

Grated carrots or sweet potato

Cooked or sprouted beans

Roasted root vegetables

Leftover cooked quinoa

Craving a salad yet?

I created this salad dressing using my favorite soy-sauce or tamari substitute. Coconut Aminos is a delicious alternative for those of us who are sensitive or allergic to soy products. I buy mine online through Upaya Naturals.

I also included lots of apple cider vinegar after reading about the amazing health benefits at Cook It Allergy Free.

Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free Rustic Dressing

2 cloves finely chopped or minced garlic
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
6 tablespoons Coconut Aminos
1/8 teaspoon of stevia
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
sea salt and pepper to taste

1. Combine the garlic, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard and Coconut Aminos in a glass jar.
2. Stir in stevia and then taste. Add more stevia if you’d like a sweeter dressing.
3. Add olive oil and stir until well combined. Season with sea salt or herbamare and freshly ground pepper.
4. Toss into salad and enjoy. This dressing will taste even better the next day.

Yield: Enough for one big salad

Hallie @ Daily Bites December 1, 2011 at 8:30 am

Your salad ideas are so inspiring, Maggie! I could eat one for every meal, but it’s great to get new ideas once in a while. :)

Maggie December 1, 2011 at 6:31 pm

Thanks Hallie. I love that we both made salads, great minds! You’re looks awesome and have given me some inspiration too.

Alta December 1, 2011 at 8:39 am

This sounds so good. We eat a big salad as a meal twice a week (once for dinner, and then I pack some for lunch the following day) but I tend to get lazy. Hubby only likes ranch, and so I’m kind of left on my own, so often my dressing is simply olive oil and vinegar. Once in a while I’ll whisk together ACV, honey, and dijon for honey mustard. I rarely make anything more complicated unless there are others to serve. This dressing recipe sounds so tasty and delicious, I think I need to treat myself to a great dressing more often!

Maggie December 1, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Thanks Alta! I am impressed with your twice a week salad dinners! I get lazy sometimes so you’ve encouraged me! I am ALL about the dressing. I am going to try your honey dijon version. Sounds great. Now I’m off to check out your sweet potato creation!

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free December 1, 2011 at 9:59 am

Maggie, I could eat salads at every meal, just like Hallie. What a wonderful list of salad ideas and an awesome dressing. I just got the Super Immunity book not too long ago. It is sitting on my nightstand ready for a read! ;) I read Eat to Live a while ago and LOVED LOVED It!!

And just keep putting small piles on those kiddos plates. That is what I did. And now they both just eat their piles without even asking or complaining. Adding yummy ingredients to the salads and delicious dressings like this always helps for them to eat them as well. They love when I have avocados, pine nuts or pistachios, and fresh grapes in their salads. LOL. I also noticed that when we started growing some greens of our own, they were even more willing to eat them.

Maggie December 1, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Kim I was hoping you’d chime in with some kid-friendly salad tips! Thank you so much. I can’t wait to hear how Super Immunity is. I hope it’s not Eat To Live repackaged!

Heather McNair Horsey December 1, 2011 at 12:13 pm

You certainly know how to make a salad sing! Love this!

Maggie December 1, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Thank you Heather – you had a version of this salad – the dressing at least! Thanks so much for the note. I was actually on your site today! Synchronicity!

julie/just precious December 1, 2011 at 1:23 pm

That looks and sounds SO good. I will have to make it soon!

Maggie December 1, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Thanks Julie. I hope you love it!

Mac December 1, 2011 at 1:58 pm

hey, what are coconut aminos?
m

Maggie December 1, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Hi Mac – Here’s the link I included in the post – http://www.coconutsecret.com/aminos2.html . They can probably tell you better than me :) I LOVE it because I’m sensitive to soy so I can’t use wheat-free tamari without some discomfort. The taste is definitely different, but it really does the trick!

Alisa December 1, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Rustic-style is my kind of dressing! Looks good Maggie :)

Maggie December 1, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Thanks Alisa!

Lexie December 1, 2011 at 8:01 pm

I can never have enough salad dressing recipes! This one looks perfect. xoLexie

Maggie December 2, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Me too Lex! We’ve had this one gazillion times while I was developing it :) I need a new one now!

Anna@GreenTalk December 1, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Maggie, hubby is sensitive to raw garlic. Do you think I can double the garlic and cook some?

Maggie December 2, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Hey Anna@GreenTalk I think roasted garlic would be amazing in this dressing. Would that work? I’m sure pan-cooked would work too. Let me know what you do!

Stephanie Sullivan December 1, 2011 at 8:44 pm

We have big salad night here. I make a salad buffet (just piles and piles of ingredients on the cutting board) and give everyone a bowl. Sydney seems to eat more when she makes her own little salad. She is also a fan of my “black” dressing – olive oil, sea salt, honey and balsamic! I make her own little dipping bowl. Love salads!

Maggie December 2, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Fabulous idea Stephanie! I LOVE it. I’m totally going to try this with my kiddos. Thanks for the new salad dressing recipe. By the way, when’s the Sullivan-Witty blog going to be up and running :) xo

Maggie December 2, 2011 at 3:40 pm

While I’ve got your ear Steph! Do you have flax oil? Use 1/2 olive and 1/2 flax oil next time. She’ll get some essential fatty acids while she’s dipping away! xo

Cara December 1, 2011 at 9:06 pm

I’ve been meaning to try coconut aminos!

Maggie December 2, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Hey Cara, definitely get some coconut aminos. I love it!

Carol, Simply Gluten-free December 2, 2011 at 7:41 am

I am a big salad lover – this sounds fab!!!

Maggie December 2, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Thank you Carol!

eva adler December 2, 2011 at 7:42 am

this looks delicious! cant wait to run out and get some coconut aminos and try this one

Maggie December 2, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Hi Eva – Enjoy! Let me know what you think once you get your coconut aminos!

Wendy @ Celiacs in the House December 2, 2011 at 9:50 am

Now I’m going to have to go make a salad with your dressing for lunch. Great salad ideas and if that Miss Kim keeps up with the apple cider vinegar converts, we need to invest in the company or start one of our own.

The Healthy Apple December 2, 2011 at 3:03 pm

These pictures are beautiful, Maggie; love this post. I can’t wait to try this dressing over the weekend; thank you.
xoxo
Love you!!

Sharon December 4, 2011 at 1:42 pm

This dairy-free ice cream looks amazing. Also happy to see your Rustic Dressing with coconut aminos. Can’t wait to try it!

Maggie December 4, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Thanks Sharon. I hope you love both recipes!

Linda S. December 5, 2011 at 10:11 am

I shared this on facebook. :)

Linda S. December 5, 2011 at 10:11 am

This sounds delicious, thank you so much for sharing!

Samantha December 5, 2011 at 10:26 am

This recipe looks amazing. I’ve been looking for a dairy free ice cream so I will definitely give this a try.