Vegetarian Hummus Burgers

by Maggie on November 3, 2011

Make sure you subscribe to my newsletter to get your copy of 10 Easy Recipes For The Gluten-Free Beginner.

These Hummus Burgers happen to be our new favorite veggie burger.  And they’ll soon be yours too!

I don’t know about you, but I could go through a bowl of hummus in one sitting (just ask my Mom and my friend Heidi; I always steal their hummus).

My kids will happily eat plain old chick peas, and even the odd dollop of hummus.  This makes me very happy because chick peas are super nutritious.  Did you know they’re extremely high in insoluble fiber?  Which means they can help lower cholesterol and blood sugar levels.  Being so high in fiber, they can also help lower your chances of colon problems; specifically colon cancer.

We find eating healthier through the holidays is easy, as long as you have healthy and delicious food to bring traveling and party-hopping.

Have you ever noticed how people ALWAYS go for your healthy additions to the potluck table?  I take that as a huge compliment (as long as there’s enough left for me and my family).

Hummus Burgers –Naturally gluten-free and vegan

These gluten-free and vegan Hummus Burgers are the perfect addition to any holiday party menu.

½ cup chopped leeks
1 large clove of garlic
2 cups cooked chick peas
¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
½ teaspoon sea salt or Herbamare
2-3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
½ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon ground cumin
3 tablespoons lemon juice
4 tablespoons tahini
1 tablespoon ground chia combined with ¼ cup water

1. Grease or line a baking sheet with parchment.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Add all of the ingredients to the bowl of your food processor.  Pulse until well combined.  Place mixture in the refrigerator for at least twenty minutes.
3. Remove from the fridge and shape into desired patties.  Mixture will be fairly wet so I usually oil my hands when shaping patties.  Place on prepared baking sheet.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.  Flip and cook for another 10 minutes.  Alternatively you could dehydrate these burgers at 115 degrees for 2 hours.  Flip and dehydrate until firm (usually another 2 hours).

Yield: 8 veggie burgers

berryliciousbanner600x122

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free November 3, 2011 at 9:58 am

Umm…yes please. I am on my way to your house right now. Hummus burgers sound like they would be RIGHT up my alley!!

Hallie @ Daily Bites November 3, 2011 at 10:18 am

Anything with the word hummus makes me happy. :) Burgers and hummus in one recipe title? I’m in!

Archena November 3, 2011 at 10:57 am

Nice recipe, will be trying soon, I have been using Google Reader and until now just sharing and commenting via Reader. Now that Google Reader has been updated, you will just see more of my comments here :)

Sina November 3, 2011 at 2:20 pm

do you think we can substitute flax seeds for the chia seeds?

Kristin @ Peace, Love and Muesli November 3, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Leeks you say. I do like leeks :)

Joy November 3, 2011 at 4:15 pm

I would love to try the recipe, but don’t have any ground chia. Any ideas for a substitute? Thank you!!

Danielle November 3, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Haha of course you made a hummus burger! Too funny. I’m going to make them tomorrow. They sound deeeee lish.

Gigi November 3, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Maggie,

Remember the fantastic vegan bean & rice burgers you posted in the spring? I loved those, and these, well… I bet I could out-eat you in the hummus department! The kiddos say it’s an addiction. ;)

I love this recipe and you’re right about staying healthy throughout the holidays… Keeping delish eats like these hummus burgers around is a tasty way to stay on track!

xoxo,
Gigi ;)

Alisa Cooks November 4, 2011 at 10:27 am

These look amazing Maggie! I wonder if one could cheat and actually use premade hummus :)

Cara November 5, 2011 at 8:15 am

My husband would gladly challenge you to a hummus eating contest :) We both love it but he is constantly professing his love… it’s pretty funny! These sound great, and surely what *I* would be devouring at any holiday gathering!

Lexie November 6, 2011 at 12:46 pm

These look delish! Been looking for more meatless dinner ideas. Thanks!

xoLexie

Vicky November 8, 2011 at 12:16 pm

These sound lovely!

Diana G November 9, 2011 at 9:23 am

this sounds like a great book! Always looking for easier and faster ways to make GF meals. thanks.

glutenfreeforgood November 9, 2011 at 2:27 pm

I’m a big fan of veggie burgers and the mix of hummus and leeks sounds interesting, especially since I’ve been bombarded with leeks in my CSA share lately. I actually prefer something like this to a regular hamburger and I’m not a vegetarian (close, and very picky, but I’m not there). I just like veggie burgers! This one will be on the menu at my house soon. Thanks! It looks divine.

Melissa

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats November 10, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Oh yum. I may get over my laziness and actually buy leeks (I always find cleaning them to be a chore) and make these. Or use red onions and scallions instead, but I suspect the leeks give this a special flavor. I love leeks too – must get over laziness :)

Leah Howard January 14, 2014 at 11:10 am

do you recommend using chickpeas from a can or cooking them from dry beans first. does it change the taste or texture? also i did not grind my chia seeds. is this essential?