Vegetarian Hummus Burgers

by Maggie on November 3, 2011

These Hummus Burgers happen to be our new favorite veggie burger.  And they’ll soon be yours too!

I don’t know about you, but I could go through a bowl of hummus in one sitting (just ask my Mom and my friend Heidi; I always steal their hummus).

My kids will happily eat plain old chick peas, and even the odd dollop of hummus.  This makes me very happy because chick peas are super nutritious.  Did you know they’re extremely high in insoluble fiber?  Which means they can help lower cholesterol and blood sugar levels.  Being so high in fiber, they can also help lower your chances of colon problems; specifically colon cancer.

We find eating healthier through the holidays is easy, as long as you have healthy and delicious food to bring traveling and party-hopping.

Have you ever noticed how people ALWAYS go for your healthy additions to the potluck table?  I take that as a huge compliment (as long as there’s enough left for me and my family).

Hummus Burgers –Naturally gluten-free and vegan

These gluten-free and vegan Hummus Burgers are the perfect addition to any holiday party menu.

½ cup chopped leeks

1 large clove of garlic

2 cups cooked chick peas

¼ tsp freshly ground pepper

½ tsp sea salt or Herbamare

2-3 tbsp chopped cilantro

½ tsp paprika

½ tsp cumin

3 tbsp lemon juice

4 tbsp tahini

1 tbsp ground chia combined with ¼ cup water

Grease or line a baking sheet with parchment.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Add all of the ingredients to the bowl of your food processor.  Pulse until well combined.  Place mixture in the refrigerator for at least twenty minutes.

Remove from the fridge and shape into desired patties.  Mixture will be fairly wet so I usually oil my hands when shaping patties.  Place on prepared baking sheet.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.  Flip and cook for another 10 minutes.  Alternatively you could dehydrate these burgers at 115 degrees for 2 hours.  Flip and dehydrate until firm (usually another 2 hours).

Yield: 8 veggie burgers

This recipe is linked up to:
Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free November 3, 2011 at 9:58 am

Umm…yes please. I am on my way to your house right now. Hummus burgers sound like they would be RIGHT up my alley!!

Maggie November 3, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Okay Kim! I would LOVE to have you over for some Hummus Burgers! Next time you’re in Canada? xo

Hallie @ Daily Bites November 3, 2011 at 10:18 am

Anything with the word hummus makes me happy. :) Burgers and hummus in one recipe title? I’m in!

Maggie November 3, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Me too Hallie! Hummus rocks.

Archena November 3, 2011 at 10:57 am

Nice recipe, will be trying soon, I have been using Google Reader and until now just sharing and commenting via Reader. Now that Google Reader has been updated, you will just see more of my comments here :)

Maggie November 3, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Hi Archena – Yay for Google Reader updates! I’m so glad we’ll be hearing from you! Thanks :)

Sina November 3, 2011 at 2:20 pm

do you think we can substitute flax seeds for the chia seeds?

Maggie November 3, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Hi Sina – I definitely think you can sub flax seeds for the chia! I think you need to use more flax though, try two and a half tablespoons! Let me know how it goes. Have a fabulous evening!

Kristin @ Peace, Love and Muesli November 3, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Leeks you say. I do like leeks :)

Maggie November 3, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Me too Kristin, me too. They’re local right now and that makes me even happier.

Joy November 3, 2011 at 4:15 pm

I would love to try the recipe, but don’t have any ground chia. Any ideas for a substitute? Thank you!!

Maggie November 3, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Hi Joy! Can you eat eggs? I used the chia as a binder, essentially replacing the equivalent of one egg. If you have ground flax you could try two and a half tablespoons in about three-four tablespoons of water. Good luck, and enjoy!

Maggie November 3, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Joy I should add this – when I was developing the recipe I didn’t add chia. It worked but it just wasn’t as moist. So my next revision involved adding ground chia and they were perfect. So feel free to try it without the chia/flax/egg and maybe add a little more tahini or some applesauce? Even pumpkin? Recipe development could go on and on :)

Danielle November 3, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Haha of course you made a hummus burger! Too funny. I’m going to make them tomorrow. They sound deeeee lish.

Maggie November 6, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Thanks Yellie! Did you love them?

Gigi November 3, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Maggie,

Remember the fantastic vegan bean & rice burgers you posted in the spring? I loved those, and these, well… I bet I could out-eat you in the hummus department! The kiddos say it’s an addiction. ;)

I love this recipe and you’re right about staying healthy throughout the holidays… Keeping delish eats like these hummus burgers around is a tasty way to stay on track!

xoxo,
Gigi ;)

Maggie November 6, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Hi Gigi – Yes, of course I remember those burgers! Yep, no nuts in these so they’re good right? I am craving hummus right now! Thanks for the love! xo

Alisa Cooks November 4, 2011 at 10:27 am

These look amazing Maggie! I wonder if one could cheat and actually use premade hummus :)

Maggie November 6, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Thank you Alisa! I bet you could cheat :)

Cara November 5, 2011 at 8:15 am

My husband would gladly challenge you to a hummus eating contest :) We both love it but he is constantly professing his love… it’s pretty funny! These sound great, and surely what *I* would be devouring at any holiday gathering!

Maggie November 6, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Okay Cara, tell you’re hubby it is on! Thanks :)

Lexie November 6, 2011 at 12:46 pm

These look delish! Been looking for more meatless dinner ideas. Thanks!

xoLexie

Maggie November 6, 2011 at 3:54 pm

You’re welcome Lex! xo

Vicky November 8, 2011 at 12:16 pm

These sound lovely!

Maggie November 8, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Thanks Vicky!

Diana G November 9, 2011 at 9:23 am

this sounds like a great book! Always looking for easier and faster ways to make GF meals. thanks.

Maggie November 10, 2011 at 2:01 pm

You’re welcome Diana!

glutenfreeforgood November 9, 2011 at 2:27 pm

I’m a big fan of veggie burgers and the mix of hummus and leeks sounds interesting, especially since I’ve been bombarded with leeks in my CSA share lately. I actually prefer something like this to a regular hamburger and I’m not a vegetarian (close, and very picky, but I’m not there). I just like veggie burgers! This one will be on the menu at my house soon. Thanks! It looks divine.

Melissa

Maggie November 10, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Melissa, you’re lucky. Leeks are one of my favorite fall veggies. I hope you love these.

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats November 10, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Oh yum. I may get over my laziness and actually buy leeks (I always find cleaning them to be a chore) and make these. Or use red onions and scallions instead, but I suspect the leeks give this a special flavor. I love leeks too – must get over laziness :)

Maggie November 11, 2011 at 5:05 am

Hey Valerie – I always cut the ends off my leeks, slice them down the middle and rinse away. It’s so worth it :) But I think red onions or scallions would work too!

Leah Howard January 14, 2014 at 11:10 am

do you recommend using chickpeas from a can or cooking them from dry beans first. does it change the taste or texture? also i did not grind my chia seeds. is this essential?

Maggie January 15, 2014 at 8:50 am

Hi Leah,
You could use either, I just find that cooking from dry beans is trickier because you have to make sure they’re all soft. I think it’s important to grind the seeds, then they’re finer in the burgers, otherwise you have seeds in your burgers. Up to you though!
Enjoy.