Pumpkin Pie Smoothie

by Maggie on October 6, 2011

As most of you know, I love my afternoon smoothies. Creamy, delicious, date-sweetened heaven. Lately I’ve been drinking lots of these, but it’s time for a change. Enter the Pumpkin Pie Smoothie.

Play around with the flavors. Feel free to add some nutmeg, or use a pumpkin pie spice mix. I’m not a lover of nutmeg so I didn’t add any.

Pumpkin Pie Smoothie

• 3 dates, pitted and soaked
  • 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (any non-dairy milk will do)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
  • ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 3 tablespoons pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
  • 2 tablespoons almond or sunflower seed butter
  • a small handful of cashews, soaked for at least an hour and rinsed (optional but adds creaminess)
  • 1 tablespoon ground chia seeds
  • 2-3 ice cubes (optional)

1. Place dates in a bowl and cover with water.  Soak for at least 15 minutes (boiling water speeds up this process).
2. Place all of the ingredients in your blender and blend away.
3. Serve with a dollop of Shirley’s dairy-free whipped cream .

Yield: 1 smoothie

It’s pumpkin season!

Gluten-Free & Vegan Pumpkin Bread
Lexie’s Kitchen’s Pumpkin Pie
Daily Bites’ Maple-Pumpkin Pudding
Alisa Cooks’ Pumpkin-Cornbread Muffins

(I had to include a picture with Livvie’s first Art School craft!)

This recipe is linked to:
Allergy Friendly Friday
Diet, Dessert, N Dogs’ Wellness Weekend
Slightly Indulgent Tuesday

Shirley @ gfe October 6, 2011 at 8:43 pm

I love this recipe, Maggie! Isn’t it funny how you can make a Pumpkin Pie Smoothie, I can make a Pumpkie Pie Smoothie, blogger friend Susie Q makes a Pumpkin Pie Smoothie, and they are all drastically different, but all very good? Always love seeing what you come up with, dear. :-) And thanks so much for the link love, too, dear!

xoxo,

Desiree Fawn October 6, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Oh my word, I HAVE to try this!

Kristin @ Peace, Love and Muesli October 6, 2011 at 8:52 pm

Yeah! I’m going to make it tomorrow for our breakfast.
Good idea to add vanilla.

Ricki October 6, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Sounds scrumptious! I love pumpkin, too–I know I’d really like this! And wow, that Livvie is incredibly talented :D

Carol, Simply...Gluten-free October 7, 2011 at 7:48 am

Sounds lovely! And so perfect for the season :) Happy Friday.
c

Amy @ Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free October 7, 2011 at 7:49 am

I’m going to make one of these later today….yum!

Amy @ Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free October 7, 2011 at 7:51 am

PS – I can’t believe you don’t like nutmeg!! It’s one of my favorites. :) xoxo

KellyBelly October 7, 2011 at 10:56 am

Hi
Great to see this post this morning. I have part of a butternut squash sitting on my counter that I will use in place of pumpkin. My vita-mix will blend it smooth w/o even have to cook it first. Love the raw concept!
thanks

Betsy October 7, 2011 at 11:13 am

Nom nom nom nom nom!!!!

Alta October 7, 2011 at 11:16 am

This sounds so tasty. I would still be missing coffee even if I’d given it up for that long too! I gave it up for a solid month while on a candida cleanse. The smell of it would make me wistful. And while I love herbal teas, they’re not coffee. But I do love that you have a smoothie routine! I could really get into this one.

Danielle October 7, 2011 at 11:31 am

Oh wow, I have 2 pie pumpkins on my counter to cook this weekend, We will be making this for SURE! I forget about dates for sweetening.

Heather @Gluten-Free Cat October 7, 2011 at 4:10 pm

If I didn’t already have dinner plans, I would make this right now!!! Tomorrow. Breakfast. I’m there. Yummmmmy!!!

christine October 8, 2011 at 9:42 am

Mmm, that sounds seriously good – bit heavier on the calories than my regular breakfast smoothies, but what the heck, indulgence is a good thing – right? :)

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free October 8, 2011 at 8:50 pm

This looks awesome! I soo know how much I would love this. I make pumpkin pie “milk” shakes for dessert sometimes, and this would be a fun treat for breakfast too!! Yum! And I have to say I am a naughty one and although I have given up a lot of vices, the coffee is simply one I have yet to let go (I just tell myself that the fact that it is Organic and Fair Trade has to count for something, LOL)!

Kim @ Welcoming Kitchen October 8, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Yum! Thanks for the great idea for a different take on a smoothie. We’ve been in a berry/mango/kale rut, and I know my boys and I will love this version.

Veggie V! @Veggie V's Vegan Adventure October 10, 2011 at 5:41 pm

I just posted a Pumpkin Pie Smoothie too, and it’s way different than yours. I was thinking how weird/cool it is that we can all have so many versions of the same thing when I read someone else’s post who expressed my exact sentiments. ha ha ha. Love it!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy October 12, 2011 at 12:41 pm

I can’t wait to try this! Thanks!

Sharon October 16, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Oh this sounds so yummy! I’m so restricted on what I can eat but have completely forgotten pumpkin, thanks for the reminder especially now that “pumpkin season” is here!