Savory Almond Bean Burgers

by Maggie on September 22, 2011

I have some exciting news to share – I am heading back to school. As of this week I am a student again (what have I done?).

I’m enrolled in the Registered Holistic Nutritionist program at The Canadian School of Natural Nutrition.

I’ve been passionate about food and nutrition for a very long time so this is a natural next step for me.

I will definitely continue to share lots of deliciously healthy recipes with all of you (topped with a bit more nutritional information perhaps).

Speaking of deliciously healthy, I can’t wait to share these veggie burgers with you. I’ve been working on them for a few weeks and I think you will love them! They’re jam-packed with nutritional yumminess.

Although homemade veggie burgers seem like a lot of work, they’re so worth it and I find it quite easy to throw a bunch of ingredients in the food processor, shape some patties and go!

These gluten-free and egg-free veggie burgers go so well topped with some dairy-free tzatziki or homemade guacamole (and a side of sweet potato fries of course).

Savory Almond Bean Burgers

1 large clove of garlic

1 small onion

1 handful of kale or spinach

2 tbsp fresh basil

I can of black beans or chickpeas (approximately 2 cups)

1 cup raw almonds (I like to soak ours overnight for easier digestion)

1 cup almond flour (see below for a nut-free version)

1 tsp sea salt

½ tsp ground pepper

1 cup grated zucchini

1 tbsp ground chia mixed with ¼ cup water

2 tbsp coconut aminos or tamari sauce

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a cookie sheet or pizza stone.

Pulse garlic, onion, greens, basil, beans, and almonds in the bowl of your food processor. Remove and place in a large bowl. Stir in almond flour, salt and pepper, and zucchini.

In a small bowl, make chia egg and let sit for two minutes. Stir in coconut aminos or tamari sauce. Add wet ingredients to the large bowl and stir to combine. I usually use my hands for this part to ensure even distribution of ingredients.

Refrigerate 30 minutes. You can skip this step if you don’t have time, it just means the patties might not form as well.

Remove from fridge and form into patties that are approximately 4 inches wide. Place on prepared cookie sheet and cook at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Flip burgers after 15 minutes.

Serve burgers on a glorious gluten-free bun, or a crunchy pile of greens tossed with lemon and olive oil.

Yield: 8-10 burgers

We recently got our hands on an Excalibur Food Dehydrator and here’s how we dehydrate the burgers: Dehydrate veggie patties for 3 hours at 110 degrees. Flip and dehydrate until firm.

Want a nut-free version? Use certified gluten-free oat flour to replace the almond flour and sunflower or pumpkin seeds to replace the almonds.

I served these veggie burgers at a birthday party and they got gobbled up so fast that the vegetarians almost missed out on them! That’s a good sign, don’t ya think?

This post is linked to:

Wellness Weekend
Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays

Ange@Hol:Fit September 22, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Hey – congrats on enrolling! I’m also attending and I’m about 1 year in to my studies – I love it and know you will too!
Ange

Maggie September 23, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Thanks Ange! It’s great to meet another CSNN student :)

Hallie @ Daily Bites September 23, 2011 at 9:09 am

I love bean burgers, even cold from the fridge as a snack with salsa on top. These look satisfying and easy to making…with no stovetop flipping required. That’s always a plus! :)

Maggie September 23, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Thanks Hallie. I love bean burgers too. They’re such an easy grab.

Desiree Fawn September 23, 2011 at 9:12 am

Awe, yay! I’m so excited for you!!

Maggie September 23, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Ahhh, thanks Des!

Ricki September 23, 2011 at 10:25 am

Oooh, yum!! And huge congrats for starting the program, Maggie–you will love it! :D

Maggie September 23, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Thank you Ricki – and thanks for being a mentor and an inspiration to me. I appreciate your support. xo

Shirley @ gfe September 23, 2011 at 10:47 am

Congrats, Maggie! That’s wonderful for you, your family, and all of us as you’ll be more of an amazing resource than ever and you’ll really know the science behind your food and recipes. :-)

I have to agree with you on veggie burgers. They couldn’t be easier and as always when we make items that we *could* buy, we get to know and control what’s in them–love that! These almond bean burgers look fantastic. I could definitely go for one with the guac on top. ;-)

Maggie September 23, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Thank you so much Shirley! I am so excited for all the reasons you listed! I’m a guac lover too :)

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free September 23, 2011 at 11:06 am

Maggie, CONGRATULATIONS on going back to school!! You are going to have so much fun! I cannot wait to hear about all of the wonderful things that you are learning!!
ANd these burgers sound amazing! I have never thought about using almonds in them! That photo is gorgeous, by the way, with all of those yummy fresh ingredients!

Maggie September 23, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Hi Kim – Thank you soooo much! I am really excited about everything! As for the burgers, the almonds are awesome because they add such a great crunch. xo

Zoe September 23, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Congrats, Maggie! :) It sounds like fun!

Maggie September 23, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Thanks Zoe. I am pretty pumped!

Lindsey September 23, 2011 at 1:35 pm

So excited to hear about your new endeavour…and, this recipe looks delish! XO

Maggie September 26, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Thanks Linds! Let me know if you try them. And! We desperately need a skype date :)

Alisa Cooks September 23, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Congratulations Maggie! This is awesome news!!

Maggie September 26, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Thanks Alisa. It’s been a long time coming so I am really happy and excited.

Stephanie Sullivan September 23, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Ok, almost got tears when I read this. So proud of you! You are awesome!

Maggie September 26, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Ah Steph, thank you so much. Your excitement and almost-tears mean so much to me. xoxoxo

Annie September 23, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Congrats Maggie! These burgers look awesome…I think we might have to try them this weekend. Question though, what do you do with the burgers once they are dehydrated?

Maggie September 24, 2011 at 8:45 am

Thanks Annie. You eat them after you dehydrate them :) YUM!

Carol, Simply...Gluten-free September 26, 2011 at 8:45 am

These look amazing!

Maggie September 26, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Thanks Carol :)

Lexie September 27, 2011 at 10:19 am

Maggie, congratulations on your decision. I a sure it will be life altering!! I look forward to learning lots from you!!!

xoLexie

Maggie September 27, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Thanks Lexie! I am loving it so far! xo

Marnetta September 30, 2011 at 8:32 am

These burger look fantastic. I can’t wait to try them. I love black beans so I’m sure this will become one of my favorites. I am a vegetarian and also have been gluten free for about a year. It’s hard sometimes to come up with recipes that have good and different flavors. I like this one to because it has lots of different veges in it that I wouldn’t of thought of putting in a burger. Can’t wait to try them!

Sina September 30, 2011 at 10:54 am

love this recipe. one question. is almond flour the same thing as almond meal (ground up almonds?)

Stephanie Sullivan October 1, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Made these last week. Loved them! Even Wawa boy ate two! So good over a lunch salad the next day. Yum! I used walnuts instead of almonds. Question-is there a difference between almond meal and almond flour?

Maggie October 2, 2011 at 3:42 pm

What Steph? Even Wawa boy liked them? Yahoo. I’m surprised he didn’t tweet me about it. Haha. Thanks for telling me, I am so trying them with walnuts! Nope, no difference between almond meal and almond flour. Miss you. xo

Annie October 2, 2011 at 9:02 pm

These are INSANELY good Maggie. We made them the other day for a couple of other meat eaters and we all loved them. Making them for the second time tomorrow for a veggie friend who is sure to be blown away! We didn’t have kale or basil so I upped to zucchini and added some dijon. Thanks so much for this recipe! What a good way to get some more beans and nuts into our diet.

Maggie October 3, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Annie you rock, thank you so much for ALWAYS coming back to tell me how the recipes you try turn out. I’m so glad you loved them. Get some kale girl :) xo

christine October 20, 2011 at 2:22 pm

these look really good – I love veggie burgers cold, too, they make a great sandwich filling, or wrapped in lettuce leaves for crunch – they remind me of my “green burgers”:)

Jan Kent January 21, 2013 at 4:29 am

Wow! These look really tasty. Here is snowy Scotland we need something easy and nutritious to help with the Winter blues and these look just the job. May have to substitute some ingredients as we are snowed in at the moment but am giving these a go today. Thank you. xx

Maggie January 21, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Oh Jan, being snowed in sounds so lovely. I kind of wish we were snowed in :) I hope everyone is warm and safe. I hope you loved them.
Thank you!