Easy Sweet Potato & Chickpea Spread

by Maggie on September 7, 2011

I’ve been reading Dr. Joel Fuhrman’s books Disease-Proof Your Child: Feeding Kids Right
and Eat To Live.

Pete and I love Dr. Fuhrman’s philosophy on food, so we’ve taken his words and implemented them into our diet.

Basically: eat more greens, veggies, and legumes. I’m down with that!

Speaking of legumes, we’ve recently won our five-year old over to the chickpea side. Woo hoo! He loves to nibble on chickpeas. He loves to dip his crackers and veggies in hummus. He loves curry and rice with chickpeas.

Naturally I’ve been buying up chickpeas like they’re going out of style. My hope is they’ll open the gate to all kinds of bean-love for him.

This spread is another garden-inspired recipe. Basil, garlic, and sweet potatoes this time. But you could definitely switch out the sweet potato for butternut squash. Or even carrots. And if you’re a beet lover, beets. The possibilities are endless.

Sweet Potato Spread

½ cup roasted sweet potato
1 cup of cooked chickpeas
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tbsp basil
1 clove of garlic
salt and pepper to taste

Add all of the ingredients, except salt and pepper, to the bowl of your food processor and puree until it reaches desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper.

I like my spread on a wrap or on crackers. It’s pretty thick but it also goes well with other garden-fresh veggies – carrots, peppers, or broccoli.

I have another sweet potato spread you’ll love:
Sweet Potato and Caramelized Onion Spread

And here’s my favorite frosting recipe that uses sweet potato. It comes from Diet, Dessert, and Dogs.
Chocolate “Buttercream” Frosting

And this is a must-try chili recipe from Daily Bites:
Autumn-Harvest Chili

This post is linked to:
Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays
Wellness Weekend

Hallie @ Daily Bites September 7, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Sweet potatoes & chickpeas…two of my favorite foods in one recipe! I love making the Sweet Potato Hummus from Power Foods (by the editors of Whole Living Magazine), but your recipe looks even easier. :)

Maggie September 8, 2011 at 7:44 am

Me too Hallie! I couldn’t live without these ingredients :) Let me know how you like it.

Ricki September 7, 2011 at 7:05 pm

That spread sounds fantastic! And so glad Callum is enjoying it, too. :)
Thanks so much for the link to the frosting–one of my faves, too!

Maggie September 8, 2011 at 7:44 am

Thanks Ricki. You’re welcome – I LOVE that frosting. It fools them every time :)

Caitlin September 7, 2011 at 8:33 pm

combining two of my favorite things- chickpeas and sweet potato! it looks delicious and i love that there is no oil in it!

Maggie September 8, 2011 at 7:45 am

Hey Caitlin – it seems the general consensus is chickpeas and sweet potato ROCK :)

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free September 8, 2011 at 9:32 am

This is a brilliant idea! I guess I would have never thought about combining sweet potatoes with chickpeas. But what a great combo!! My kids love sweet potatoes so I can get away with adding them to just about anything. Love this one!! And now I will also have to try that sweet potato frosting of Ricki’s!!

Maggie September 9, 2011 at 7:26 am

Thanks Kim! I wish my kids were more open to sweet potatoes. For now I have to hide them in things like this!

Shirley @ gfe September 8, 2011 at 10:40 am

Yippee on the chickpea love! (You know I’m a big fan.) And woohoo on that combo–brilliant! Your photos are awesome, Maggie. They pop off the page. :-)

Maggie September 9, 2011 at 7:27 am

Thanks Shirley – yes, I know all about your chickpea love :) Thank you for the compliments about my photos! Fall makes it easy to make your photos pop!

christine September 8, 2011 at 10:57 am

Wow – I adore chickpeas – so glad Callum does:) – and am going to grow sweet potatoes in the garden next year, so guess what I’ll be making? No, there’s no prize for guessing! Great recipe:)

Maggie September 9, 2011 at 7:27 am

Hey Christine – Growing sweet potatoes in your own garden is a great idea! I think I’ll have to try it too.

Jessica September 8, 2011 at 12:05 pm

OK…now I’m CONVINCED that someone is reading my mail! I’ve heard about veggies today left and right! I just so happen to have all of these ingredients! This would make a wonderful addition to my site, as well as a great snack for the kids. Mind if I link to your recipe and post my own pick? Thanks!

Maggie September 9, 2011 at 7:28 am

Hi Jessica – Feel free to link to my recipe! Thanks for asking. Can’t wait to see the pics!

Alisa Cooks September 8, 2011 at 12:16 pm

This looks so wonderful Maggie! I love all of the ingredients. I’ve been trialing the bean spreads, and admit I like them less beany. I think I’ll try this heavier on the sweet potato :)

Maggie September 9, 2011 at 7:29 am

Thanks Alisa! Let me know how your version turns out!

Annaliese Lemmon September 8, 2011 at 3:39 pm

This recipe looks really interesting. I wonder if my gluten and dairy allergic son would go for it.

Maggie September 9, 2011 at 7:29 am

Thank you Annaliese. I hope your son does like it!

Erin Elberson Lyon-GF Fitness September 8, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Maggie,
Sounds delish! I am thinking it would be fan-freaking-tastic as a crudite dip :) Weekend project!

Maggie September 9, 2011 at 7:30 am

Thanks so much Erin – and thanks for linking to the recipe on your facebook page :)

cathy September 9, 2011 at 10:34 am

I was wondering what it was in the picture that you put the spread on? They look delicious also!

Maggie September 11, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Hi Cathy – Those are Mary’s Gone Crackers
crackers. Have you tried them? They go so well with savory dips, especially pesto!

Carol, Simply...Gluten-free September 12, 2011 at 9:52 am

Yum!, love that flavor combo – brilliant!!!

Maggie September 13, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Thanks Carol!

Kim, Welcoming Kitchen September 14, 2011 at 10:53 am

I love the idea of chickpeas as a “gateway” bean! They definitely are one of the preferred beans of choice of my guys, too.

Maggie September 16, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Hey Kim – It’s always good to hear what other kids are eating too :) Makes us feel more normal! Heehee. Thanks for stopping by.

The Starving Student September 20, 2011 at 7:34 am

I love this take on hummus with the addition of the sweet potato!

Maggie September 20, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Thanks, perfect for the starving student, right? :)

Amy September 25, 2011 at 10:50 pm

Sweet potato is one of my favourite foods!

FYI, you may be interested in found online while searching on youtube that currently exists and is said to cure celiacs & gluten intolerance: http://wp.me/p1244N-6k

Be sure and check it out!