Creamy Carrot Salad Dressing

by Maggie on September 1, 2011

Have you seen the colors at the farmer’s markets lately?

Pete and I have been on a bit of a colorful salad kick. We throw anything and everything into a bowl to create what we call quick-meal salads. No recipe required!

Here are some of our favorite salad ingredients:

kale

romaine

chopped cabbage

cultured vegetables

nuts and seeds

grated carrots, beets or sweet potato

fresh berries

avocado chunks

sprouts

cooked beans

cucumber and tomato chunks

Pair your salad with a side of sweet potato fries and you have an amazing lunch or a light dinner.

Salad dressings are so easy to whip up. It would take you longer to drive to the store to buy one!

This is our new favorite dressing recipe. You could even use this (because it’s thick) as a dip for veggies or in a wrap. My kids love to dip and this is one way to get some more nutritious goodness into their growing bodies.

We used to sweeten our salad dressings with maple syrup, and while we still do that from time to time, we have been using medjool dates instead.  Mother Nature’s candy!

Creamy Dairy-Free Salad Dressing

2-3 chopped carrots (you could also use sweet potatoes)
half an avocado
1 medjool date, soaked and pitted
3/4 cup water
2 tbsp flax oil
1 clove chopped garlic
1 1/2 tbsp dijon mustard (we use grainy Dijon)
a shake of dulse (optional)
1/2 tsp Herbamare or sea salt
1 quarter of a lime, juice only

Place all of the ingredients in your blender (you might want to chop your veggies first – depending on the strength of your Blender).  Blend until creamy, we like to leave some tiny carrot, garlic and date chunks.  If you find it too thick, add more water.

Toss into salad and enjoy.   This dressing will taste even better the next day.

Yield: Enough for one big salad

More yummy salad dressing ideas:

Roasted Beet and Quinoa Salad
Maple Balsamic Dressing
Caesarish Salad Dressing

This post is linked to:
August’s Go Ahead Honey It’s Gluten-Free event.  Shirley’s theme is Dishes So Simple, No Recipe Required

Zoe September 1, 2011 at 7:43 pm

It looks fantastic, Maggie! :) The colours are amazing. Thanks for the link love!

Ricki September 1, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Sounds great, Maggie! And thanks for the link love. :)

Tia @ Glugle Gluten-Free September 1, 2011 at 10:58 pm

I love just throwing some stuff together in a blender for salad dressing. I did cherries, coconut vinegar and olive oil last month. Yours sounds very tasty. I need to check out these dates that I keep reading about. Hmmm. Such a good idea. I’m trying to give up sugar. It’s not easy. And I’m jealous of your farmer’s market excursions. I just haven’t gotten back into the habit after Max. It’s hard when the boys don’t like crowds. At all.

xoxo,
Tia

Cara September 2, 2011 at 8:27 am

oh wow, this sounds fanstastic! With some ginger, I bet it would be like the carrot dressing you can get in Japanese restaurants :)

Heidi Oran September 2, 2011 at 9:10 am

Looks yum. I think I’ll try it soon. Any suggestions on what to use for thickness/creaminess other than avocado since I’m allergic? Probably be great without it too but I’m curious.

dori September 2, 2011 at 10:34 am

Where can you buy medjool dates? I live in a very small town and 1oo miles from Trader Joes or Whole foods. The only thing I find locally is california dates, stocked where the raisins are, and I’ve had NO luck using these.
Thanks

Heidi Oran September 2, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Great idea Maggie. I think I may try this today actually ;) xo

Carol, Simply...Gluten-free September 2, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Mmmmm, looks and sounds delish. It is still so hot here I am loving salads.

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free September 2, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Oh my. I am so making this! What a delicious dressing. And Cara is right, a little ginger and it would be an Asian dressing! =)

gfe--gluten free easily September 3, 2011 at 7:17 am

Great post, Maggie! Sometimes we forget how many wonderful variations there can be to salads and just how delicious they can be. You are so right about the ease of making salads and salad dressings. Thanks so much for linking up to Go Ahead Honey! I love all your photos, but that last one looks like contemporary art to me–art I can eat … perfect! ;-)

glutenfreeforgood September 6, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Maggie,

I love the looks of your salad and the sound of your dressing. We do the same thing. Grated raw beets, zucchini, cabbage, whatever I have on hand goes into making a salad. I use Mejool dates for so many things (I love them added to smoothies), but it never dawned on me to add them to salad dressing recipes. You’re a gluten-free genius! =)

Melissa