Dairy-Free Strawberry Ice Cream

by Maggie on August 5, 2011

One of my favorite brands of ice cream used to be Häagen Dazs.  Strawberry ice cream?  Yes please!

But we’ve been living dairy-free for over a year now and I have to tell you, ice cream tastes even better without the dairy!

Maybe it’s because I know it won’t give us a tummy ache.  Or maybe it’s because homemade ice cream can’t be beat!

And don’t worry, homemade ice cream is much easier than you think.

So move on over Häagen Dazs.

Dairy-Free Strawberry Ice Cream

1 cup raw Cashews soaked for at least an hour and rinsed2 chilled cans full fat coconut milk
¼ – ½ cup Agave Syrup or Maple Syrup
1 cup fresh strawberries (plus more for later use)

1. Place cashews in a bowl and cover with water.  Let soak for at least an hour.  Drain and rinse well.
2. Add all of the ingredients to your blender or food processor and mix until well blended (you could also use an immersion blender).
3. Chill this mixture for at least 30 minutes.
4. Remove from fridge and pour into your ice cream maker and follow your ice cream maker’s instructions.  About mid-way through your maker’s ice cream cycle, stir in approximately half a cup of sliced strawberries.  This way the berries won’t get crushed.
5. Serve immediately.  Once stored in the freezer, homemade dairy-free ice cream tends to harden and must thaw for at least 15 minutes before scooping.

Here’s the  Ice Cream Maker I use and it is so very easy.

Makes approximately 4 cups of delicious homemade ice cream.

Not sure if you want to invest the time to make ice cream? Check the label of your favourite brand.  I bet homemade ice cream has fewer ingredients!

Shirley, from Gluten-Free Easily shares a great tip – always store 2 cans of coconut milk in the fridge, that way you can have ice cream whenever you want!

More dairy-free ice cream recipes:

Chocolate Peanut-Butter Ice Cream
Vanilla Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

berryliciousbanner600x122

Heather Brandt August 6, 2011 at 10:37 am

Does coconut cream work in any ice cream recipes?

Maggie August 7, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Hey Heather – It’s worked in all of the recipes I’ve tried. It’s pretty amazing actually!

Martina August 6, 2011 at 10:47 am

Hi Mags!

Ummm, yummmm! I don’t have an ice cream maker, but this has made me thing that it’s a worthwhile investment! Have you tried the frozen banana ice cream? Literally just food process chopped frozen bananas, then some fixin’s, refreeze for a bit and voila! My personal fave is almond butter, maple syrup and choc chips!

Maggie August 7, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Thanks MartLav! We have tried frozen banana ice cream but I’m going to have to give your variation a try. YUM!

Shirley @ gfe August 6, 2011 at 11:45 am

I sooo agree on homemade dairy-free ice cream, Maggie! It tastes fantastic and you still feel great after you eat it. :-) Your strawberry ice cream looks perfect! I love that you use a Donvier ice cream maker, too. I haven’t heard anyone mention one of those in a very long time.

And tanks for sharing my tip, dear! I know that if I forget to restock the fridge and there’s no coconut milk in there, I’m a very unhappy camper. It doesn’t happen very often any more because I’ve gotten into the habit. ;-)

Happy Ice Cream Saturday, Maggie! I just made the concoction for Roasted Banana Rum Ice Dream from the Ice Dream Cookbook. Now I have to wait for it to chill before churning. ;-) xo

Maggie August 7, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Thanks Shirley. And another thing we agree on :)
I am happy to share your tip – I rely heavily on that tip!
I bet your ice cream was delish! Roasted banana? Oh my goodness!
xo

Ricki August 6, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Looks amazing, Maggie! And so funny–I just posted about ice cream as well! (And how I used to hate strawberry flavor. . . but now I think I’d absolutely love this). Dairy-free definitely is better! (And thanks for submitting to WW this week). :D

Maggie August 7, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Thanks Ricki – Caramel ice cream is one of my favourite flavors so I can’t wait to check out your recipe!

Cassidy August 6, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Looks delicious! A friend of mine is having a homemade ice cream party in a few weeks and I’ve been looking for a dairy free recipe – thanks :)

Maggie August 7, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Cassidy that is such a FUN party idea. Let me know how it goes!

spencer jackson August 10, 2011 at 8:33 am

That icecream looks amazing, I haven’t seen dairy free icecream in Norwich UK.

Looks tasty.

Yummy yummy

Maggie August 10, 2011 at 10:58 am

Thanks Spencer! Well I guess you’ll just have to make your own dairy-free ice cream. Now I’m off to check out your site!

glutenfreeforgood August 12, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Well, I must get on this cashew cream bandwagon! Your simple, but amazing looking ice cream sounds perfect for a dairy-free delight. And there’s nothing better than homemade ice cream during these warm summer months, which are coming to an end. What happened to summer? Okay, off to make some ice cream. I have everything except the strawberries. BUT, I do have blueberries. =)

Thanks!

Maggie August 14, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Melissa! You definitely need to get on the cashew cream bandwagon. It’s AMAZING! I know, the mornings here are getting cooler. I’m not sure I like it! Here’s hoping it’s a loooong summer. Blueberry ice cream? That sounds divine!

Carol August 14, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Yup….yummmm and so incredible simple! Everybody loves cream around here, and I love this recipe because I know I’m giving them something healthy and they don’t even know it. :-))

Maggie August 14, 2011 at 2:15 pm

My sentiments exactly Carol! I love giving my family healthy treats!

Alta August 15, 2011 at 2:33 pm

I love making dairy-free ice cream – I usually do it without egg yolks, like you did here, so it’s super-easy! This sounds perfect.

Kristin Overton March 25, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Just made this- yum! I didn’t puree it for long enough (maybe not fast enough) so I had bits of cashew in the ice cream. Gave it a unusual texture, but not bad for our first homemade ice cream adventure! We did without the 4-6 hour freezing (although I was prepared to stay up until 1:30 am for it!) and had it soft serve style with much success.

Maggie March 27, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Hi Kristin – Now you have me craving ice cream! I’m thrilled that you started your homemade ice cream adventures with me :) Keep me posted on round two! You need to try the peanut butter and chocolate one if everyone can tolerate it. Sooooo dangerous!

BrentB July 10, 2012 at 9:48 am

My kids will be visiting me soon and I would like to make some ice cream for them. They need to be gluten-, dairy-, egg-, sugar-free. I’m concerned about the agave being too much for them. Can this be made using Nutrasweet? I know it isn’t the best thing in the world but the nutritionist has them using this because Splenda gives them gas problems.

Maggie July 10, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Hi Brent – Could you use maple syrup? Sorry, I have no idea if the nutrasweet would work since I don’t use it. Artificial sweeteners are not good for anyone. What about stevia? I think liquid stevia would work – probably 1/2 teaspoon. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions. Enjoy your visit with your kids!