How To Make Almond Milk

by Maggie on July 5, 2011

Lately I’ve been making homemade nut milk every morning.   Between smoothies and granola, we tend to use it up pretty fast.  We’re the kind of cereal eaters who like lots of cold milk.

Six months ago I never would’ve imagined making my own nut milk.  However, it is really and truly quite simple.  I’ve only added five minutes to my morning routine – roll out of bed, sneak downstairs so my sleeping babes don’t wake up, make green smoothies, whip up some nut milk (I soak the nuts overnight), and hit the road for a morning run.  All before 7am.

I move really fast in the morning.  And I am the queen of multi-tasking.  Maybe one day I will make a video of this super-fast morning routine for you.

By the way, you don’t even need a super-duper high-speed blender to make your own nut milk.

I had three people test the recipe.  My Mom and my friend Heidi used their regular old blenders (I’m pretty sure my Mom had to dust hers off).   My friend Danielle used her Magic Bullet – yes, you can make homemade almond milk with a magic bullet (she halved the recipe).

I’ve used this basic recipe to make almond, cashew, and pecan milk.

Homemade Nut Milk

1 1/2 cups raw almonds (soak them over night and you can take the skin off after soaking for easier digestion if you feel so inclined)
4 1/2 cups filtered water
1 date soaked and pitted (optional)
1 pinch of sea salt
1/2 teaspoon or more of pure vanilla (optional)

1. Soak 1 and a 1/2  cups of raw almonds overnight (or 6-8 hours) in a container with a lid.  Add enough water to cover the almonds by 1-2 inches.
2. Drain the soaked almonds and rinse well.
3. Put 4 and a 1/2 cups of water in your blender.  Add almonds, date and a pinch of sea salt (feel free to add some vanilla too).  I like to soak my dates as it makes life a little easier for the blender.  I always have a few soaked dates in the fridge.
4. Blend on desired setting.  I use the Whole Juice setting on my Blendtec and run it twice.
5. Place nut milk bag into a large pitcher or jug.  I secure mine with an elastic band.
6. Pour blended mixture into nut milk bag.  If you don’t have a nut milk bag, you can use regular old cheesecloth.  Secure a piece over the opening of a jug or a bowl.  Make sure it’s on tight as the nut pulp might cause the cheesecloth to fall in and that would just be annoying.
7. Let sit until all of the liquid has run through – I usually go for a run while this is happening.  You can use some of the liquid right away, or you can leave it to sit.
8. Remove nut milk bag or cheesecloth and store your awesomely delicious milk in the fridge.  Ours never lasts for more than 2 days.

Yield: Approximately 4 cups, depending on your blender.

Note: You can make pecan milk this way too, however I find that I don’t need to use a nut milk bag or a cheesecloth.  We just drink thick and creamy pecan milk.

What do you do with the leftover nuts? This is referred to as nut pulp.  I’m working on a couple of recipes, but in the meantime throw it in your shakes!  I use the cashew pulp to make a super and incredibly creamy cashew sour cream.

This post is linked to:
Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays

Are you going to give homemade nut milk a try?

Diamond July 5, 2011 at 8:00 pm

I dehydrate my pulp and run it thru my grinder to use as almond flour. It is especially good when added to my cookie flour mix. Although, it doesn’t seem to work very well in recipes that call for only almond flour.

Andrea July 5, 2011 at 8:22 pm

I make almond milk a lot as well…can’t wait to try the pecan milk, I just brought back 20 pounds of yummy organic pecans from Texas!
Elana @ elanaspantry.com has several recipes for raw crackers using the leftover almond pulp, they are quite tasty, vegan and very easy to make!

Deanna July 6, 2011 at 6:17 am

Lately, the only thing I’m using nut milk on is my bowls of chopped fruits and nuts, smoothies, or chia puddings. That being the case, I’ve taken the supremely slacker route of just blending cashews and water and voila! No straining, no salt or sweetener. Just 1 cup cashews + 5-6 cups water and I have a pitcher of cashew milk that might not be as tasty as yours, but completely suits my purposes, is raw, has no thickeners or scary stuff, and takes less than 5 minutes.

Oh yes, I have slacker down. :)

Jen @ The RA Vegan July 6, 2011 at 10:34 am

Ok, I admit that this is something I have been *meaning* to try for awhile. It sounds so much easier then I thought it would be. Thanks for the easy directions. Going to try this soon!

Shirley @ gfe July 6, 2011 at 11:04 am

Oh, Maggie, I must make pecan milk!!! I’ve become sensitive to both almonds and cashews of late, but pecans are still good. :-) And I must get a nut milk bag to make it all easier.

Oh, and yes, I want that video of you doing major multi-tasking, too. LOL I’m pretty similar in the mornings though. I get an awful lot done then. ;-)

Terrific post, dear. Inspiring! xoxo,

Zoe July 6, 2011 at 11:20 am

I’ve made almond milk before, and when my sister and I were little my Mum made it. I made a cake once during my family’s strictly SCD days with the almond pulp – I have it written down somewhere, hopefully! Another use for the pulp is using it on your skin, kind of like a scrub, in the shower: it leaves your skin feeling soft and smooth. :)

Marty July 6, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I love making nut milk, though have only made almond. I’m too
lazy and don’t strain the milk as we use it mostly in smoothies, and I figure the extra fiber is good for us. I don’t have a dehydrator otherwise I might strain it! I use stevia to sweeten instead of dates, as it’s impossible to get fresh ones here and dry are expensive. Making nut milks are so easy and no cartons to fill up our landfills!

Kristin @ Peace, Love and Muesli July 6, 2011 at 6:07 pm

I’ve wanted to try homemade nut milk forever. I have a cheesecloth all ready to go too. Pecan first I think.

hippie4ever July 6, 2011 at 10:01 pm

I’m excited! I think I’ll try pecan first. Incidentally, where have you found (or what brand) of almonds do you use? All the brands I’ve found are processed on shared equipment with wheat.

Noreen July 10, 2011 at 9:10 pm

YUM…I love almond milk, I am using it for my 10 1/2 month old as well. She just stopped nursing (sadly!) and so I think its a great alternative!!! Thanks for the great post. P.S. I too am a morning machine!!! There are mornings when I have a loaf of bread baked, muffins made and vacuuming done before 8am!

Giselle June 23, 2012 at 5:22 am

Believe it or not I have had macadamia nuts in my freezer for a while now and so decided to try macadamia milk and it can out a treat. I too make cashew milk and don’t strain it. I only use this milk in smoothies and porridge but the macadamia milk was very easy too. Now I can use them up :)