Decadent Chocolate Sauce

by Maggie on July 20, 2011

We’re in full Summer mode, and we’re having a blast!

Naturally, we’ve been eating lots and lots of homemade ice cream and making lots of homemade popsicles.

We were craving chocolate sundaes last week so we put our heads together and came up with this delightfully simple dairy-free chocolate sauce.

Serve it with ice cream, eat it by the spoon, or add a little more milk and pour it into popsicle moulds.

Dairy-Free Chocolate Sauce

½ cup of full-fat coconut milk (lite would work too)
1 cup homemade (or store-bought) nut milk
1/3 cup maple syrup or agave*
1 tsp vanilla
3-4 tbsp Raw Cacao Powder

Combine coconut milk, nut milk, sweetener, vanilla, and cacao powder in your blender (an immersion blender works too). Whiz until combined. Pour over ice cream and refrigerate any leftovers.

*We also made this a little less sweet by omitting the maple syrup and using 4 soaked and pitted dates. Pete and I loved it; the kids preferred the maple syrup version.

Yield: Approximately 2 cups

This post is linked to:

The Whole Gang’s incredibly creative Harry Potter-themed Go Ahead Honey, It’s Gluten-Free. Visit her site in a few days to check out all of the recipes that tie into It All Ends Here.
Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays
Wellness Weekends
The Whole Gang’s Real Food Weekly

How are you staying cool this summer?

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats July 20, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Yum, this looks amazing. Amazing. I need to make this.

Maggie July 20, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Thanks Valerie! It’s funny because I made Gena’s Cheezy Hemp Dip tonight after I saw it on your blog today :) It was soooo good. I can always trust your recommendations. I am sure you’ll love the chocolate sauce!

Shirley @ gfe July 20, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Oh, those super cute kiddos of yours … they are sooo adorable! And this sauce, FABulous, dear–thank you! Will be great for my group’s ice cream social on Monday. :-)

Maggie July 22, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Thanks Shirley. I couldn’t resist sharing my kiddos with you :) How fun that your group has an ice cream social! I LOVE it! Enjoy. xo

Kim @ Welcoming Kitchen July 20, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Maggie,
This sounds so yummy! I can’t wait to try it.

Maggie July 22, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Thanks Kim. I’m sure you guys will love it! Hope you’re having a great summer :)

Ricki July 21, 2011 at 8:08 am

I LOVE THAT THIS USES RAW CACAO!! I’ve discovered only recently how much I really love it–even when sweetened with stevia, I find it just doesn’t have a bitter taste. YUM. This sauce looks fantastic–but more importantly, how cute are those kiddles??? Seriously cute. :D

Maggie July 22, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Ricki I DEFINITELY have a raw cacao addiction! I am almost on that stevia train so lookout! Thanks, I agree with you – my kiddies are seriously cute. This makes it seriously difficult to say no to them! xo

Cassidy July 21, 2011 at 10:54 am

This looks sooo delicious! I just made a dairy free caramel sauce and next on my list was chocolate sauce… this recipe came just in time :)

Maggie July 22, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Thanks Cassidy! I am working on a dairy-free caramel sauce too. I’m trying to make it with dates! I’ll have to hop over and check yours out!

Alisa Cooks July 21, 2011 at 11:00 am

Adorable pictures Maggie! Seriously yum on the sauce. I need to make some ice cream now that I have something to pour on it!

Maggie July 22, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Thanks so much Alisa. Heehee, did you make your ice cream yet?!