Peanut Butter & Chocolate Smoothie

by Maggie on May 11, 2011

In case you haven’t noticed, I’ve basically given up refined sugars. It was a really hard thing for me to do, but now that I’ve done it, my life has changed.

I finally see food as a source of energy.

I finally taste the sweetness of real food.

I find it much easier to get through the day with two wild lovely ones running around now that I don’t rely on refined sugars to give me a false burst of energy mid-afternoon (only to crash in a pile of crayons half an hour later).

Now I get my mid-afternoon energy rush from this luscious Peanut Butter and Chocolate Smoothie. It gets me to dinner no problem. And, as always, there’s lots of room to play around and switch things up.

Peanut Butter and Chocolate Smoothie

This smoothie recipe grew out of my Almond Dream smoothie. I think you’ll love it.

4-5 medjool dates, soaked and pitted
2 cups non-dairy milk (we use unsweetened almond milk)
2 scoops hemp protein powder (we use Manitoba Harvest)
3 tbsp raw cacao powder (we use Navitas Naturals)
A dash or two of cinnamon
3-4 tbsp organic peanut butter (another nut butter or sunflower seed butter works just as well)
2 heaping tbsp of ground chia (ground flax works too)
5 ice cubes

Soak and pit dates (soak in hot water for at least 5 minutes). Place all ingredients in your blender (or in a cup if using an immersion blender). Blend well and serve chilled.

Yield: two-three smoothies

By the way, I have a thing for raw cacao powder.

This post is linked to:
Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays
Gluten-Free Wednesdays

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats May 11, 2011 at 7:44 am

Oh yum, this looks sooooo good :) I totally understand what you mean about giving up refined sugar and it being hard at first but then turn out to be life-changing. I had some of the 1in133 cake last week (being around a giant cake for 3+ hours made me break down, especially because it was both gluten-free and dairy-free – how often does that happen) and while I enjoyed it and , amazingly, I got no blood sugar crash – maybe most of 2 years of being refined-sugar-free helped – I did not feel great the next day, and it just seems odd to me to eat refined sugars regularly now.

Alta May 11, 2011 at 9:24 am

This looks AMAZING. I too have recently given up refined sugar (except in small amounts, like what’s in worcestershire sauce, the very occasional dark chocolate piece, etc) and it’s amazing. I am free from cravings when I adhere to this practice (the dark chocolate isn’t really a good idea…I need to take tips from Valerie and make my own!). It helps a great deal!

Shirley @ gfe May 11, 2011 at 11:00 am

Maggie, you’re the best! Love this recipe and your wild, uh, I mean lovely kids. I actually think they are both, and that’s the way it should be! They are delightful. Kids are meant to be kids, but I digress. ;-) We all do best when we use food as fuel and then we can taste all the differences as you say. I have no problems makes smoothies refined sugar free any time, and I love the raw truffles and the like, but I’m still working on making all my baked goods refined sugar free. You and the others commenting are my inspiration. :-) Thanks for this one, Maggie! I think this will be my breakfast after my morning walk tomorrow.

Kristin @ Peace, Love and Muesli May 11, 2011 at 12:04 pm

I am inspired to give this no refined sugars a chance but I am very scared.
Going to make the smoothie this afternoon, I’m needing an afterschool snack.

Carol, Simply...Gluten-free May 11, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Ha, looks like you and I are on the same page with dates as a sweetener. This is really a much better way to lift the afternoon than with a cookie and a cup of coffee (quilty of this sometimes, need to change my ways!) or a great way to start the day.

Linda May 13, 2011 at 8:17 am

Oh yum! I have to give this a try. I love chocolate and peanut butter but often forget about the combination because my husband can’t eat peanuts. This would make a great afternoon snack when he’s at work, though (and not wanting some of what I’m having).

I have thought about giving up sugar. For now, I’m just much more selective about when and how much I eat. I admire those of you who have given it up.

Debbie May 14, 2011 at 4:01 pm

mmmm…love your smoothie ideas. I could sub cashew butter for the peanut butter for my boys and I know they would love it!

Debi May 15, 2011 at 6:56 pm

We are kindred spirits, Maggie. I love hemp protein powder in my smoothies AND I adore raw cacao…in any form! :D Cinnamon in my smoothies? You bet!

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free May 16, 2011 at 10:12 am

Now this is my kind of smoothie!! And I cannot imagine those two beautiful kiddos of yours as anything BUT angels!! But, your comment about collapsing into a pile of crayons had me totally cracking up (I know that feeling too well)!
I love this recipe – it is so right up my alley. And I also love the Manitoba Harvest Hemp Powder. I use it in so much of my stuff!! ;)

Nina May 17, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Maggie, Thank you so much for this recipe–it is a *keeper*! It introduced me to Manitoba Hemp Protein Powder (on sale at our WF–yay!), which I love! So happy to have discovered it. I cant have dates now down b/c of candida, so I subbed Stevia for dates, which is delish….and have made this with cashew butter and with almond butter…both delicious! Thanks again! :)

Eric December 29, 2011 at 6:42 pm

made this smoothie tonight to kick off our new “gluten-free” life trial. I loved it but had a small problem. My dates didn’t blend in…thus making the smoothie under-sweetened…so my kids didn’t drink past a sip. I’ve realized now that because my blender is not very powerful (the Bullet) the dates need to be cut up and soaked for as long as possible before blending. Thanks for the awesome smoothie Maggie !!!
eric

dorothea miller-rivell January 7, 2014 at 10:33 am

Is the hemp protein powder considered gluten free…if not …is there any protein powder that is gluten free that you know of. I drink Ensure hi protein at least once a day,,,but their protein powder is not considered gluten free, What I drink is already a liquid when purchased.