Fabulous Finds: Your Green Baby

by Maggie on May 28, 2011

This month’s Adopt A Gluten-Free Blogger is being hosted by Zoe from Z’s Cup of Tea.

Zoe and I have become good friends (we share a love of fun nail polish colors and healthy gluten-free baking, oh and Cooks Illustrated). I adopted Zoe last summer and made her Mango Popsicles.

This month I decided to adopt my friend Kim from Your Green Baby. If you’ve been here for a while, you’ll know Kim. She’s shared some really informative guest posts with us. Check them out:

Recently Kim published her first book! It’s an incredible resource for parents of small kids, but also for soon-to-be Moms. The book includes a number of delicious and healthy recipes that will find you and your family eating (and thoroughly enjoying) more whole foods.

I’ve been trying to get more legumes into my kids so I thought Kim would be the perfect adoptee since all of her recipes are vegetarian, and her recipes are tested by her two-year-old son.

The first recipe I tried was Kim’s Chick Pea Stew. What a simple but delicious recipe! And of course it’s naturally gluten-free. Throw everything in one pot and voila, you have a healthy and delicious dinner.

We discovered that Callum loves chick peas. He kept asking for more and more. I was thrilled. He’s always enjoyed a little bit of hummus here and there, but now we have a new snack food! And a power snack food at that.

The second recipe I tried was Kim’s Lentil Sloppy Joes. These were also really easy to make, and so tasty. I made a few changes (I’ve been having trouble with soy lately so I omitted the miso and used coconut aminos instead of tamari). I pureed a cup of the Sloppy Joes and served it with some rice pasta for the kids. Another hit. Yahoo!

Both of these dishes will definitely be making another appearance in our house.

Make sure you take some time to check out Kim’s blog. You can also find Kim on twitter.

This is linked to Zoe’s Adopt-A-Gluten-Free-Blogger event, check there for the round-up later this month.

Zoe May 28, 2011 at 1:33 pm

And we’re both Canadian! ;) Gotta love that, Maggie. I can only imagine what fun we’ll have and what we’ll talk about when we meet. Both of these meals sound utterly fantastic – thanks for introducing me to a new blogger, Maggie; we’ll have to try both, I think.

Also, I like this new layout! Are you still tweaking or is this it for now? :) Anyway, love it! It’s much more open.

Maggie May 28, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Yes, I need to add in that we’re both from CANADA! I know, I am pretty excited about our lunch when I come to BC. Hopefully in 2012! I am sure your family will love these meals Zoe. I especially recommend the sloppy joes. So yummy. Glad you like my new layout. It was time to change things up a bit!

Deanna May 28, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Maggie – these look scrumptious. I hadn’t checked out her blog before – thanks for the invite!

Just to let you know, they make chick pea miso now. Yay!

It’s pricey, but it lasts a long time and it adds that great miso flavor. It does have rice in it – so it’s not grain-free. But, might be worth a shot if you’re looking to do any miso dishes.

Maggie May 28, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Hey Deanna – They were quite scrumptious. You would enjoy them, and they’re both kid-friendly! Woo hoo for kid-friendly vegan meals. Thanks for the heads up about chick pea miso. Definitely checking that out! I miss miso :(

Kim Corrigan-Oliver May 28, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Okay Maggie, I need some food photography sessions from you, the pics are awesome!!! And thank you so much for this wonderful review of the book and the two recipes – you made my day when I saw it. Can’t thank you enough.

And nice tip Deanna on the chickpea miso, I want to check it out too! Thanks.

Maggie May 29, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Kim, I need some photography sessions too! I’m just learning as I go along :) So glad you liked it. I purposely didn’t tell you!

Kim Corrigan-Oliver May 28, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Oh, and I linked this on the testimonials page on my site :)

Maggie May 29, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Thanks for the link Kim.

Heidi May 29, 2011 at 10:39 am

Seriously, looks delish. And your pics are quite impressive, well done… ;)

Maggie May 29, 2011 at 5:02 pm

So nice to see you here Heidi :) Glad you like it. Come back soon…

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free May 31, 2011 at 10:17 am

Maggie, I love this adoption…and I love Kim! These two recipes look amazing. I think that my kids would totally be on board with both of them! And the photos look awesome! ;) Thanks for sharing Kim with us today! ;)
x0
kim

Maggie June 2, 2011 at 3:17 am

Thanks Kim – I hope you give them a try, they were pretty yummy. I would try the sloppy joes first since they’re a little sweet so that might entice their taste-buds too!

Shirley @ gfe May 31, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Oh, how exciting that Callum is a fellow chickpea lover! :-) Those recipes of Kim’s look great. Thanks so much for sharing Your Green Baby with us!

BTW, yesterday completely out of the blue, it hit me that I’d made another recipe of yours well before I did my adoption of you … that amazing chocolate pudding made with avocado. So I need to go add that into my post even though I have no photo. Of course, I have some avocados … I could make it again just to take some pics. ;-)

Maggie June 2, 2011 at 3:18 am

Haha Shirley, I thought of you when I was typing this up, knowing that you’re also a chickpea lover!
Thanks so much for making the chocolate avocado pudding. Isn’t it to die for? I have another recipe that was inspired by that one, coming soon to a blog near you!
xo

Carol, Simply...Gluten-free June 9, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Thanks for introducing me to Kim’s site, these recipes look fantastic! This is what I love about adopting a blogger, it introduces us to people we hadn’t come across yet. Those lentil sloppy joe’s will be making there way onto my table soon! And btw, I love the way the piece of chive underlines the “them eat” in the first photo :)