Chocolate fRAWsty (or Fudgesicles)

by Maggie on April 16, 2011

I am excited to share a RAW food recipe with you!

So what does the term ‘raw food’ really mean?

I’m sure some of you reading this post are thinking,
Well it’s obviously sushi. Really? Maggie’s going to post a sushi recipe? I thought she was vegetarian.

And a few of you are probably thinking,
Well it’s obviously fruits and veggies right? Anyone can do that. Cut them up, put them in a bowl, serve them with some ranch dip, and you’ve got raw food. Geez, thanks Maggie.

Yet, I’m sure there are others who are going,
Maggie, honey, I was born with a spirulizer in my hand! You don’t need to tell me how eating a raw food diet will increase my energy, improve my skin, or help me lose weight.

Okay, so I’ll leave it at that.

As most of you know, I have a strong tendency towards sweet treats so I wanted to share a delicious raw chocolate treat with you.

Yes! You can have raw desserts too! Full of amazing, delicious, and nutritious ingredients. And they taste so good (just check out Lisa’s tart).

My recipe is like an ice cream meets a milkshake. Serve it with a spoon and everyone will be happy.

Chocolate fRAWsty (or Fudgesicles)

2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
5 medjool dates, soaked and pitted
½ cup raw cashews soaked for at least an hour
1 cup ice cubes (7-8 cubes)
1 tablespoon water

Add all the ingredients to your blender (make sure you strain and rinse the cashews after soaking).
Blend until it reaches desired consistency.  If you’re using a regular blender (not a high speed one) you might want to put in a little more water, and put it in first.

Livvie and I used this recipe to make popsicles and oh my raw goodness, they were like fudgesicles. Only NOT loaded with cow’s milk, refined sugar, and who knows what else.

If you want to take it one degree out of the raw food realm, add 1 tbsp of coffee in place of the water for a mocha treat.

There’s so much you could do with this recipe!  Try adding some ground chia, or even some peanut butter.

Gigi April 16, 2011 at 8:14 am

Ha! I was typing up my post for tomorrow, and just clicked over here to see what you’re uncooking up, and you’ve got this amazingly yummy sounding frawstie! I just love it – except for that nut allergy thing I’ve going on! :/

And I’m doing a sweet, too – and yes, it’s chocolate, too. Nut-free was a huge challenge for me in this event, but one I learned a lot from!

Thanks for the mention ;)

Gigi

Maggie April 16, 2011 at 10:52 am

Hi Gigi – I know, I was thinking about the nut allergy thing and wondered about hemp seeds. Can you have those? I think they could work. I can’t wait to see what yours is. Mmmm chocolate! xo

Heather @Gluten-Free Cat April 16, 2011 at 8:19 am

Now THAT looks amazing! I love the idea of freezing these for fudgesicles (and adding coffee!). Thanks for such a great April in the Raw submission. It has been so much fun to see what everyone has come up with!

Maggie April 16, 2011 at 10:53 am

Hey Heather – It is pretty darn amazing, if I do say so myself! I love seeing what everyone is coming up with too. When it’s all over I can’t wait to go back through and try EVERYTHING! Thanks for coming to check it out!

Debi April 16, 2011 at 9:25 am

I love it, Maggie! Coincidentally, while I was messing around with recipes for my April in the Raw post, one was for a raw fish dish that is popular back home. And I did think of sushi, too. :D But, I love that so many of us came up with raw dishes that include chocolate!

Maggie April 16, 2011 at 10:54 am

Hey Debi – Thank you, I’m so glad you love it! Any diet that allows chocolate is a good one, don’t ya think :)

Nina April 16, 2011 at 9:59 am

This is fantastic! You are right–so much you could do with this “frawstie”, although chocolate is always a great place to start! :) Great addition to April in the Raw!

Maggie April 16, 2011 at 10:56 am

Hi Nina – Thank you, I am pretty excited to try out a bunch of different versions now! I really want to try using hemp seeds instead of cashews. I was also thinking it might be neat (us bloggers are so weird) to add some greens and see what happens. Am I crazy :)

Shirley @ gfe April 16, 2011 at 10:21 am

Such a funny post, Maggie. I knew you wouldn’t go with what might be expected, although after I raved over your Almond Dream Shake, this type of luscious recipe might be exactly what folks were expecting from you. I am not sure what I was expecting, but I know this recipe certainly goes above and beyond. I’m phasing out some nuts for a time, including almonds and cashews, but the plan is to use up what I have before that happens. Luckily, there are some cashews left! I’ll report back on my FRAWstie experience in an hour or so! And thanks for link love, girlie! (If I could remember how to make a heart, I’d leave some for you.)

Maggie April 16, 2011 at 10:58 am

Thanks Shirley. It was fun to write! This recipe is similar to the almond dream milkshake. It’s so good and I really can’t wait for you to try it! as you clean out the nut section of your pantry! I’m glad that date soaking is making your blender happy! Thanks for the compliment about Livvie. She’s a little sweetheart and ALWAYS loves Mommy’s creations. Especially the chocolate ones :)

Shirley @ gfe April 16, 2011 at 10:22 am

Oh, forgot to say, what an adorable photo of your little girl! She’s just beautiful!

Christine April 16, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Oh my! I’ve definitely bookmarked this! It looks so fantastic and it makes me happy that you don’t require and ice cream maker! I think it might also be fun to add frozen fruit or various spices – let the scheming begin! Yum! :)

Ricki April 16, 2011 at 4:31 pm

This looks wonderful, Maggie! Just the thing to keep those spring-like thoughts in mind, too. And the fudgsicle option sounds amazing! Livvie is the cutest thing ever as she slurps it up. :D

Maggie April 17, 2011 at 8:18 am

Hi Ricki – Thanks, it does taste pretty wonderful! Yes, Livvie is pretty darn cute. She’s happy to slurp up most of my creations, I think she gets her sweet-tooth for me!

Shirley @ gfe April 16, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Okay, I’m eating my fRAWstie now … heaven! I just posted a pic on Twitter, too. :-) I had to add more water to get mine to blend as I don’t have a Blendtec or Vitamix yet, but it came out just lovely! I’m eating half as a fRAWstie and freezing the other half for a fudgesicle cup later. ;-) That might not last long and might not even get eaten by me though as Son is on his way home. Since he’s gf/cf/rsf, that might become his treat! :-) Love it, Maggie, thanks! BTW, if I’d had a girl, her name was going to be Libby (short for Mary Elizabeth). (Turned out BIL and SIL had the Mary Elizabeth, but she’s not called Libby.)

xoxo,

Maggie April 17, 2011 at 8:19 am

Yay Shirley! Thank you so much for coming back and sharing your fRAWstie experience :) The water tip is a good one, I might add that into my recipe. Your son is pretty darn lucky to come home to such treats. We’re connected in so many ways Shirley, I love it!

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats April 16, 2011 at 7:01 pm

This looks so so so so good :) I am so making the serve with a spoon version of this soon :)

Maggie April 17, 2011 at 8:19 am

Thanks Valerie. I’m certain that you’ll love every spoonful!

veganlisa April 16, 2011 at 7:18 pm

A fRAWstie!!! Wow, that sounds so perfect right now. Plus, I like that your recipe came with a beautiful photo of a happy customer. I think this may become the summer treat of 2011. There is a blender at my cottage!

Maggie April 18, 2011 at 4:34 am

Hey Lisa – I know you will love this – and so will all of your cottage guests!

Lexie April 16, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Yumm-o Maggie. Looks just like a Wendy’s Frosty … I think that’s what they’re called. It’s been so long :)

Lexie

Maggie April 18, 2011 at 4:35 am

Thanls Lex. That’s exactly what I thought when I tasted it. I LOVED Wendy’s frostys!

Gigi April 16, 2011 at 8:25 pm

I can have hemp seeds, so might work. I use chia, as well, which gives “body” to anything! :) I just got a new huge bag of my Mila chia today- LOVE that stuff! The inside of the seed is “scooped” out, so no crushing necessary – very cool! I’ll try it one day next week w/ Little Chef and see what she thinks – bet it’ll be a hit!
Gigi

Maggie April 18, 2011 at 4:36 am

Okay Gigi, let me know what you and Little Chef come up with! xo

Tia @ Glugle Gluten-Free April 16, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Maggie – This looks and sounds so good. Even though I am eating way healthier than I ever have, sadly, part of me really misses a good frosty every now and then. But I won’t do it. Just too gross when you think about it. But this sounds perfect. And, I am sure I will like it a million times better. And, fudgesicles. Even better. Gotta get me some cashews. Thanks!

xo – Tia

Maggie April 18, 2011 at 4:36 am

I’m with you Tia. I miss them too. But I don’t miss the feeling of having a brick in my tummy after eating a frosty! Now you can have it all :)

Laura Badiyan-Eyford April 17, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Maggie, I just whipped some of this up… this is pure genius! Thank you!

Maggie April 18, 2011 at 4:34 am

Thanks Laura!

Ellen @Gluten Free Diva April 17, 2011 at 9:37 pm

This looks just like a fudgesicle. I’ve been looking for sweet treats to feed my grandson – this will do just fine!

Maggie April 18, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Hi Ellen – Your grandson will be very happy when you pull one of these out of your freezer :)

Lexie April 18, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Maggie, was just looking at this again and my 5 year old looked up from his Legos, saw it and said “mmm that looks good.” And this is my picky one, ha!

Maggie April 19, 2011 at 7:08 am

Hey Lex – I love that story! Did you make him some?

glutenfreeforgood April 18, 2011 at 3:03 pm

This f-RAW-sty thing of yours looks delicious. And I agree with Ricki — I think it was Ricki who said Livvie was the cutest thing ever! Wow, she really is. I haven’t had a fudgesicle in ages. I guess it’s time to make one out of all these healthy ingredients you have lined up and ready for us to play with.
Thanks for the inspiration!
Melissa

Maggie April 19, 2011 at 7:09 am

Thanks Melissa! Have fun playing :)

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free April 19, 2011 at 11:33 am

I am just finally getting caught up on all of my blog reading after my crazy weekend!! Loving this title!! This looks SO fun!! I cannot wait to try this recipe – might just do it this weekend since it will be 90 degrees here! A perfect day to eat a frosty or a fudgesicle outside by the pool!!! And that kiddo of yours is just beautiful! Seriously!!
xo
k

Maggie April 20, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Hi Kim – I know what it’s like to have a list of blogs to check out! Sometimes I have them open in my browser for two days before I get to them :) I can’t believe how warm it is there already. CRAZY! Hope you guys like these.

Aubree Cherie April 19, 2011 at 11:43 am

I’m making this right now! (Well, I’m starting to soak the cashews anyway :D – oh my goodness, I can not wait for this!!!!) I’ve added it to my Favorite Recipes post for last week. Thanks!!! ~Aubree

Maggie April 20, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Thanks Aubree! I hope you loved it as much as I do! Thanks for linking to it too!

Willo@Green Gracious April 20, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Made this today and YUMMMMM! Thanks! This is an instant family favorite!

Maggie April 20, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Yay Willo! So glad everyone loves it. It’s a bit of a hit around here too. Just trying to get my stubborn 4 year old to TRY it! Thanks for sharing the news.

Sweets by Vicky April 27, 2011 at 7:33 am

Know what I feel like doing? Jumping into this fudgesicle and living there forever! Plus no uncomfy tummies or skin allergies! :)

Maggie April 28, 2011 at 6:27 am

Hi Vicky – Funny, I felt that way about your vegan coconut cupcakes :)

Alta April 27, 2011 at 10:18 am

Wow, this looks amazing. I could really use one right about now. Along with maybe some gluten-free french fries for dipping. (yes, I’m one of THOSE people!)

Maggie April 28, 2011 at 6:28 am

Haha Alta, you are funny. I know a few of THOSE people! But I like to play it safe with ketchup for my fries. However, I might have to try it at least once.