Chocolate fRAWsty (or Fudgesicles)

by Maggie on April 16, 2011

I am excited to share a RAW food recipe with you!

So what does the term ‘raw food’ really mean?

I’m sure some of you reading this post are thinking,
Well it’s obviously sushi. Really? Maggie’s going to post a sushi recipe? I thought she was vegetarian.

And a few of you are probably thinking,
Well it’s obviously fruits and veggies right? Anyone can do that. Cut them up, put them in a bowl, serve them with some ranch dip, and you’ve got raw food. Geez, thanks Maggie.

Yet, I’m sure there are others who are going,
Maggie, honey, I was born with a spirulizer in my hand! You don’t need to tell me how eating a raw food diet will increase my energy, improve my skin, or help me lose weight.

Okay, so I’ll leave it at that.

As most of you know, I have a strong tendency towards sweet treats so I wanted to share a delicious raw chocolate treat with you.

Yes! You can have raw desserts too! Full of amazing, delicious, and nutritious ingredients. And they taste so good (just check out Lisa’s tart).

My recipe is like an ice cream meets a milkshake. Serve it with a spoon and everyone will be happy.

Chocolate fRAWsty (or Fudgesicles)

2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
5 medjool dates, soaked and pitted
½ cup raw cashews soaked for at least an hour
1 cup ice cubes (7-8 cubes)
1 tablespoon water

Add all the ingredients to your blender (make sure you strain and rinse the cashews after soaking).
Blend until it reaches desired consistency.  If you’re using a regular blender (not a high speed one) you might want to put in a little more water, and put it in first.

Livvie and I used this recipe to make popsicles and oh my raw goodness, they were like fudgesicles. Only NOT loaded with cow’s milk, refined sugar, and who knows what else.

If you want to take it one degree out of the raw food realm, add 1 tbsp of coffee in place of the water for a mocha treat.

There’s so much you could do with this recipe!  Try adding some ground chia, or even some peanut butter.

Gigi April 16, 2011 at 8:14 am

Ha! I was typing up my post for tomorrow, and just clicked over here to see what you’re uncooking up, and you’ve got this amazingly yummy sounding frawstie! I just love it – except for that nut allergy thing I’ve going on! :/

And I’m doing a sweet, too – and yes, it’s chocolate, too. Nut-free was a huge challenge for me in this event, but one I learned a lot from!

Thanks for the mention ;)

Gigi

Heather @Gluten-Free Cat April 16, 2011 at 8:19 am

Now THAT looks amazing! I love the idea of freezing these for fudgesicles (and adding coffee!). Thanks for such a great April in the Raw submission. It has been so much fun to see what everyone has come up with!

Debi April 16, 2011 at 9:25 am

I love it, Maggie! Coincidentally, while I was messing around with recipes for my April in the Raw post, one was for a raw fish dish that is popular back home. And I did think of sushi, too. :D But, I love that so many of us came up with raw dishes that include chocolate!

Nina April 16, 2011 at 9:59 am

This is fantastic! You are right–so much you could do with this “frawstie”, although chocolate is always a great place to start! :) Great addition to April in the Raw!

Shirley @ gfe April 16, 2011 at 10:21 am

Such a funny post, Maggie. I knew you wouldn’t go with what might be expected, although after I raved over your Almond Dream Shake, this type of luscious recipe might be exactly what folks were expecting from you. I am not sure what I was expecting, but I know this recipe certainly goes above and beyond. I’m phasing out some nuts for a time, including almonds and cashews, but the plan is to use up what I have before that happens. Luckily, there are some cashews left! I’ll report back on my FRAWstie experience in an hour or so! And thanks for link love, girlie! (If I could remember how to make a heart, I’d leave some for you.)

Shirley @ gfe April 16, 2011 at 10:22 am

Oh, forgot to say, what an adorable photo of your little girl! She’s just beautiful!

Christine April 16, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Oh my! I’ve definitely bookmarked this! It looks so fantastic and it makes me happy that you don’t require and ice cream maker! I think it might also be fun to add frozen fruit or various spices – let the scheming begin! Yum! :)

Ricki April 16, 2011 at 4:31 pm

This looks wonderful, Maggie! Just the thing to keep those spring-like thoughts in mind, too. And the fudgsicle option sounds amazing! Livvie is the cutest thing ever as she slurps it up. :D

Shirley @ gfe April 16, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Okay, I’m eating my fRAWstie now … heaven! I just posted a pic on Twitter, too. :-) I had to add more water to get mine to blend as I don’t have a Blendtec or Vitamix yet, but it came out just lovely! I’m eating half as a fRAWstie and freezing the other half for a fudgesicle cup later. ;-) That might not last long and might not even get eaten by me though as Son is on his way home. Since he’s gf/cf/rsf, that might become his treat! :-) Love it, Maggie, thanks! BTW, if I’d had a girl, her name was going to be Libby (short for Mary Elizabeth). (Turned out BIL and SIL had the Mary Elizabeth, but she’s not called Libby.)

xoxo,

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats April 16, 2011 at 7:01 pm

This looks so so so so good :) I am so making the serve with a spoon version of this soon :)

veganlisa April 16, 2011 at 7:18 pm

A fRAWstie!!! Wow, that sounds so perfect right now. Plus, I like that your recipe came with a beautiful photo of a happy customer. I think this may become the summer treat of 2011. There is a blender at my cottage!

Lexie April 16, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Yumm-o Maggie. Looks just like a Wendy’s Frosty … I think that’s what they’re called. It’s been so long :)

Lexie

Gigi April 16, 2011 at 8:25 pm

I can have hemp seeds, so might work. I use chia, as well, which gives “body” to anything! :) I just got a new huge bag of my Mila chia today- LOVE that stuff! The inside of the seed is “scooped” out, so no crushing necessary – very cool! I’ll try it one day next week w/ Little Chef and see what she thinks – bet it’ll be a hit!
Gigi

Tia @ Glugle Gluten-Free April 16, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Maggie – This looks and sounds so good. Even though I am eating way healthier than I ever have, sadly, part of me really misses a good frosty every now and then. But I won’t do it. Just too gross when you think about it. But this sounds perfect. And, I am sure I will like it a million times better. And, fudgesicles. Even better. Gotta get me some cashews. Thanks!

xo – Tia

Laura Badiyan-Eyford April 17, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Maggie, I just whipped some of this up… this is pure genius! Thank you!

Ellen @Gluten Free Diva April 17, 2011 at 9:37 pm

This looks just like a fudgesicle. I’ve been looking for sweet treats to feed my grandson – this will do just fine!

Lexie April 18, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Maggie, was just looking at this again and my 5 year old looked up from his Legos, saw it and said “mmm that looks good.” And this is my picky one, ha!

glutenfreeforgood April 18, 2011 at 3:03 pm

This f-RAW-sty thing of yours looks delicious. And I agree with Ricki — I think it was Ricki who said Livvie was the cutest thing ever! Wow, she really is. I haven’t had a fudgesicle in ages. I guess it’s time to make one out of all these healthy ingredients you have lined up and ready for us to play with.
Thanks for the inspiration!
Melissa

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free April 19, 2011 at 11:33 am

I am just finally getting caught up on all of my blog reading after my crazy weekend!! Loving this title!! This looks SO fun!! I cannot wait to try this recipe – might just do it this weekend since it will be 90 degrees here! A perfect day to eat a frosty or a fudgesicle outside by the pool!!! And that kiddo of yours is just beautiful! Seriously!!
xo
k

Aubree Cherie April 19, 2011 at 11:43 am

I’m making this right now! (Well, I’m starting to soak the cashews anyway :D – oh my goodness, I can not wait for this!!!!) I’ve added it to my Favorite Recipes post for last week. Thanks!!! ~Aubree

Willo@Green Gracious April 20, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Made this today and YUMMMMM! Thanks! This is an instant family favorite!

Sweets by Vicky April 27, 2011 at 7:33 am

Know what I feel like doing? Jumping into this fudgesicle and living there forever! Plus no uncomfy tummies or skin allergies! :)

Alta April 27, 2011 at 10:18 am

Wow, this looks amazing. I could really use one right about now. Along with maybe some gluten-free french fries for dipping. (yes, I’m one of THOSE people!)