Oat, Almond & Date Muffins

by Maggie on April 6, 2011

I am hosting this month’s Go Ahead Honey, It’s Gluten-Free and I decided to choose a Springtime Brunch theme.

I love brunch. It’s my favorite meal to host. I like to load the table with fresh fruit and veggies, granola, cinnamon buns, quick breads or muffins, and other delightful breakfast-meets-lunch treats.

One brunch staple you can’t go wrong with is the beloved muffin. I love a good muffin and I am always playing with new variations in my kitchen.

My Oat, Almond and Date Muffins make for a super nutritious and delicious breakfast, snack, or brunch treat. It took me 3 or 4 times before I mastered these. The dates make the muffins sweet so I kept lowering the amount of maple syrup, and the almond flour makes the muffins really moist so I kept adjusting the amount of coconut oil I used.

What I love about these Oat, Almond and Date Muffins is the use of hemp protein powder. We like to use Manitoba Harvest protein powder, which worked perfectly in this muffin. Not a hint of anything but deliciousness.

Oat, Almond and Date Muffins

½ cup almond flour
1 cup certified gluten-free oat flour (we use Cream Hill Estates )
1 tbsp ground chia
2 tbsp hemp protein powder (we use Manitoba Harvest)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp sea salt
½ cup certified gluten-free oats (we use Cream Hill Estates )
¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
¼ cup maple syrup
1/4 cup coconut oil, liquefied
1 tbsp ground chia mixed with ¼ cup warm water (replaces 1 egg)
½ cup chopped and pitted dates

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line or grease muffin cups.

Combine almond flour, oat flour, ground chia, protein powder, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt, and oats in a medium-sized bowl.

In the bowl of your stand mixer, or a large bowl, combine applesauce, maple syrup, coconut oil, and ground chia-warm water mixture. Stir in dry ingredients, mixing well to combine. Fold in dates.

The muffin batter will thicken up because of the ground chia. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups (3/4 full). Bake in preheated oven for 20-23 minutes (10-12 minutes for mini muffins). Let cool in muffin pan for 3-4 minutes. Remove to wire rack and let cool completely.

These protein-packed babies taste just as yummy on day two, but you could wrap them up and freeze for future breakfast or brunch treats.

Yield: 12 large muffins. Recipe is happily doubled.

My friend Hallie from Daily Bites is hosting an event this month called Build a Better Breakfast. These nutritious muffins are my submission to Hallie’s event.

These muffins are also linked to:
Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays
Gluten-Free Wednesdays
Full Plate Thursday
Real Food Weekly

And don’t forget about April in the Raw.  You can check out and link up raw recipes right now! There’s some rawsome recipes coming in (sorry, I couldn’t resist).

Hallie @ Daily Bites April 6, 2011 at 11:50 am

Love the look of these, Maggie! Question for you about replacing eggs: have you found that using the chia seed replacement works in recipes up to 2 eggs? Just thought I’d ask a seasoned egg-free baker… :)

Zoe April 6, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Ha, I thought I was right about you hosting brunches! :) It just seemed to fit with your personality. The muffins look great – I was already thinking ooh, yum! when I saw them in my Twitter feed.

I’m still thinking about what I’ll make, though I think I’d like to do some kind of drink.

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free April 6, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Oh my goodness! I do not think I have seen a more nutrient-dense gf muffin! These look unbelievable! I am making these as soon as I pick up some hemp protein powder!! Great great recipe, Maggie!!!
xo
k

Celina April 6, 2011 at 1:11 pm

These look great! If I have time today I’ll give them a whirl. Question: I don’t have hemp protein powder – can I do without or is there something I can replace it with?

Nicole@GFonaShoestring April 6, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Maggie,
I’ve been mourning bran muffins lately. These seem like they could soothe my aching heart. :)
Warm regards,
Nicole

Shirley @ gfe April 7, 2011 at 10:50 am

These looks great, Maggie! Love those cupcake wrappers. Need to try some oat flour or make my own. I’ll probably use eggs and hemp seed instead of chia and protein powder for this recipe. Will let you know how they turn out when I eventually make them–thanks! Brunch is such a fun meal. One can sleep in … traditional and non-traditional breakfast fare works … it seems more festive and decadent than other meals … just so many pluses, so it’s a great Go Ahead Honey theme. I’m still trying to figure out what I’ll make for my entry. :-)

Alisa Cooks April 7, 2011 at 11:17 am

These look marvelous Maggie! I’m may make them this weekend based on what I have on hand.

Amanda April 7, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Those muffins are very cute and healthy!

Annie April 7, 2011 at 2:12 pm

These look so yummy! I don’t have any chia or protein powder around though. Do you think flax could work as a substitute until I get my hands on some?

Ricki April 7, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Nom, nom! Nothing like muffins for brunch. :) Hoping to join in the fun on this one–must get a-baking!

Gigi April 8, 2011 at 5:26 am

Maggie – you know I can’t have nuts, but I can modify this for nut free fairly easily, I think. I LOVE dates – you know that salad dressing you featured back around the holidays? Well, I still make that! :)
I’m still in the thinking processes for my contribution, but something will come to me…maybe I’ll work on that for my own brunch this weekend! :)
Gigi

Miz Helen April 8, 2011 at 9:20 am

Hi Maggie,
Oh my goodness, I can almost smell these wonderful muffins coming out of the oven. I just love all the goodies in the mix. I really don’t think I can have just one. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week!

Diane-thewholegang April 11, 2011 at 9:37 am

These sound wonderful. I’ll feature them this week.. Thank you for sharing them on RFW. Don’t forget to link back.

Alta April 14, 2011 at 10:52 am

These look really tasty! I love oats. I love dates. I love almonds. They’re perfect!

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats April 15, 2011 at 1:21 am

I am totally loving these muffins. I just put up my recipe for GAHIGF, and will send you the link in the next couple of days :)

chaya April 27, 2011 at 11:23 am

This looks like a fabulous muffin. It has to go on my list of “to makes”. We are a big muffin family.

I just put your badge on my blog. I like this place and want to visit more often.

Annie May 10, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Maggie…I’ve been making these muffins lately (a year late!) and they are SO good. Today Q and I made a batch and changed it up a bit…cooked mashed peaches in place of the apple sauce, a little nutmeg and a mixure of rhubarb and dates. Best muffin ever! Oh and I used sunflower seed flour instead of almond. Just thought I’d let you know!

Mélanie May 26, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Love these! Super yum! And my kids and husband love them too, so they pass the test :)