Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free’s Perfect Bread Goes Vegan

by Maggie on March 6, 2011

This is our new favourite bread. It’s gluten-free, dairy-free, and egg-free bread.

Isn’t it gorgeous?

If you read my recent Adopt a Gluten-Free Blogger post, you’ll know that I tried one of Amy Green’s new bread recipes.

There are a few things I love about Amy’s recipe for The Perfect Bread:

1. The recipe calls for her flour mix.
2. It’s made in a regular sized loaf pan.
3. It rises nice and high, just like gluten-filled bread does.
4. It’s really user-friendly and it doesn’t take long to make.

We are a gluten-free, dairy-free, and egg-free family so baking bread gets a little tricky. This is why I really wanted to share this version with you. We’ve found a winner!

I am sure I will continue to tweak this recipe here and there (I am always playing around in the kitchen, aren’t you?) so I will update this post as I play. I want to try it with coconut oil, and I want to try it with a few different flour blends.  Oh, and I want to try baking by weight!

Gluten-Free and Vegan Bread

Many thanks to Amy for creating this lovely loaf of bread for us; and for giving me permission to share my version.

3 cups Amy’s Basic Flour Blend (I’ve also used my bean-free blend)
2 ¼ tsp xanthan gum (you can use 2 1/4 tsp ground chia instead*)
½ tsp baking soda
1 tbsp palm sugar

1 packet dry instant yeast(2 1/4 tsp)

3 tbsp ground chia mixed with ¾ cup filtered water
1 ¼ cup warm water
¼ cup sunflower oil OR coconut oil
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 ¼ tsp sea salt

Grease or line a 9×5 inch bread pan with oil. Set aside.
Combine flour, gum or ground chia*, baking soda, sugar, and yeast in a medium-sized bowl.

In the bowl of your mixer, combine the ground chia with ¾ cups of water. Let sit for a few minutes until it starts to gel a little (and look a little bit like a raw egg). Add warm water, oil, and cider vinegar. Mix until well combined. Add the dry ingredients, except the salt, and mix on low until incorporated. Increase to medium-high and mix for a minute. Turn off, add the salt, and mix for 2 more minutes at medium-high speed.

Turn the batter into prepared loaf pan. Place bread in a warm place to rise (for an hour, or until it’s doubled in size) and set the oven to 350 degrees. I have been using Amy’s method to let my bread rise. I place it in a large storage container and let it do its magic in there. Guaranteed draft-free. I also give my oven plenty of time to preheat. The heat of the oven is important for a lovely loaf of bread.

Score the bread with a sharp, serrated knife if desired. Bake for 45 – 55 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the loaf sounds hollow when you tap it (mine was cooked through at 55 minutes but it took me 3 tries to learn that).

Let it cool for 5 minutes in the pan then turn the loaf pan on its side, scoot the loaf forward so the steam can escape – but leave it in the pan. Let it cool for another 10 – 15 minutes then move to a wire rack to cool completely.

To store, wrap with plastic and keep at room temperature for up to 3 days (we store ours in a large ziploc bag). If there are any leftovers, slice and freeze for future use.

*If you want to eliminate the xanthan gum, you can! It will work but it will change the loaf. It will be darker and a little more crumbly.

Check out Amy’s most recent bread recipe – Gluten-Free Sandwich Bread with Sourdough Starter.  It looks amazing.  I’ll be trying an egg-free version of that too!

Oh, and you know about Amy’s cookbook right? It’s doing amazing on Amazon so I hope you’ve ordered your copy! Mine’s on its way.

Please come and join She Let Them Eat Cake’s new Facebook page.

This recipe is linked to:
Slightly Indulgent Tuesday
Gluten-Free Wednesdays

Kristin @ Peace, Love and Muesli March 6, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Looks delicious Maggie. I am craving bread. I will give yours a try tomorrow. Vegan and everything!

Maggie March 6, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Thanks Kristin! Hope it turns out lovely for you. Vegan and everything!

Zoe March 6, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Looks amazing! Great job, Maggie and Amy! It looks delightfully squishy and soft like wheat bread, but of course much better and packed with more nutrition. It seems we’re getting closer to soft, gluten-free bread on par with gluten-filled ones – heck, we’re already there :) – and that we can make ourselves. No more brick-hard gluten-free bread!

Maggie March 6, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Thanks Zoe! You’re right, we’re already there. And you know what? I think we’ll roll right on by and just keep going!

Jen March 6, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Oh wow! I am so excited by this recipe! I am a vegan and my son is allergic to wheat. I haven’t found a bread recipe I like yet… This is definitely one to try. Thanks!

Maggie March 6, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Yay Jen, I’m so glad! I think you’ll like this one. I just found the cooking time was the tricky part. It took me three tries to realize that it’s okay to bake it for 55 minutes, for some reason I always err on the side of caution when it comes to baking times!

Susan March 6, 2011 at 7:00 pm

AAHH!! You are amazing! I am making this asap! I have been on the edge of my seat waiting for this post! Thank you thank you thank you! You are the coolest! :) Of course, I can’t say thank you to you, without saying thank you to Amy as well! You girls are AWWWWEEEESOOMMME!!! (I sang that Awesome Opera style, cause you’re that cool). :)

Maggie March 6, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Hey Susan! Thank you – I’m blushing! But Amy did all of the hard work. I just played a little! And by the way, I think you are cool and very funny! Heehee.

Shirley @ gfe March 6, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Just shared this on my gfe Facebook page and someone already commented that it was just what they were looking/hoping for–woohoo! Awesome job of adapting Amy’s great recipe. :-) Gluten-free goodness proliferating in all the needed forms. ;-)

Maggie March 7, 2011 at 9:48 am

Thanks so much Shirley! We really are a little community – we need each other, don’t we? We work better together.

Iris March 6, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Looks delicious! I’m not eating anything with yeast right now, so I’ve been really missing bread. I definitely want to try this out once I can do yeast again!

Maggie March 7, 2011 at 9:49 am

Thanks Iris. Your yeast-free loaf is pretty amazing so I think you’re in good hands until yeast is back on the list!

Sophie March 7, 2011 at 4:31 am

This looks indeed like the perfect bread!! I also love her tasty recipes. Her recipes have never failed me !!!

MMMMMMMMM,….!!!! I love your adaptation a lot!

Maggie March 7, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Hi Sophie! Glad you like the bread, it is indeed perfect! Amy’s recipes are fantastic.

Amy @ Simply Sugar & Gluten Free March 7, 2011 at 6:49 am

Maggie,

It’s gorgeous….really. I can’t wait to hear about the coconut oil. My guess is that it will make it more tender or more dense…not sure which. Anyway, I could be wrong on both accounts but I’m excited to find out what you learn.

I happen to think you’re very generous in calling it my bread…it’s yours now my dear. We must all strive to pass on what we learn so that the still developing art and craft of gluten-free baking (and dairy-free, egg-free, and every other special diet out there…) can grow and improve.

Much love always,
Amy

Maggie March 8, 2011 at 7:22 am

Hi Amy,
Thank you, I’m so happy that you like it! I will let you know how the coconut oil changes it. You’re so supportive Amy! We’re all very lucky to learn and grow with you.

Noreen March 7, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Yummmo! hey my sourdough dough loaf is in the oven right now…ITS HUGE!!! It looks so delicious, can’t wait for supper!! Did your cookbook arrive yet? Hope so!!

Maggie March 8, 2011 at 7:23 am

Hi Noreen – You lucky girl! I bet it tastes so delicious! I still haven’t received my cookbook yet. Maybe you ordered yours before me and they have to print more? Who knows, it should be here next week!

Susan March 9, 2011 at 1:10 am

BAH! Help! I made it last night and it didn’t rise! Not even a little bit! Should I have proofed the yeast first? I am so confused. I have NEVER made a successful bread since going gluten free. I am so bummed. :(

Maggie March 9, 2011 at 6:01 am

Oh no Susan, that’s not good. I’m sorry that happened. I think there’s a couple of things that could be the problem. One, was the water or another ingredient too cold/not warm enough? Two, was the yeast instant? Also, where did you let it rise? Let’s try to get to the bottom of this so you can try again. I am bummed for you! I know it works this way because I’ve tried it 4 times and it’s risen each time. We’ll figure it out!

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free March 9, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Maggie, this is amazing!! I cannot believe how much it rose for you!! I will be trying this for sure – having a little gathering in a couple of weeks for a family of Vegans! ;) This will be perfect!
For Susan, I wonder if the yeast was not active anymore?? I have had that happen before, even before the expiration date. If that is the case, it will not rise at all. Hmmm…a conundrum for sure!
Thanks for sharing Amy here with us – we all love her, Maggie!!
So excited to see both of you next month! ;)

Maggie March 9, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Hey Kim – I know, it rose beautifully. I think you guys will love it, you can try both versions! I’ve had that problem with yeast too. Can you test the yeast if it’s instant? I don’t usually work with instant so I’m not sure. Thanks for your note Kim.

Susan March 9, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Maggie, Okay, it could have been that I used Guar gum instead of Xanthan? Or perhaps that I used ener-g egg replacer instead of the chia/eggs. (The chia here is SOO expensive)… But other than that I followed the recipe exactly. The yeast I used I just discovered was only Active Dry yeast… not instant… Hmm. Looks like I did a bit wrong. ha ha. Okay, do you know what I would need to do to succeed with Active Dry yeast? Should I just proof it first? Come to think of it, that has probably been my problem every time I’ve tried to make bread. ha ha. Wow. I feel like a dork. I will try it again. :)

But, I did put the bread in to a container like Amy suggests, and it was on the stove top, but the oven wasn’t pre heating until 20 minutes before the bread was supposed to be done rising. But as I said, that never happened. ha ha.

I WILL TRIUMPH!!! (right?) ha ha.

Maggie March 9, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Hey Susan – Okay, now it’s all coming together :) I don’t think the guar would do it, I use them interchangeably too. I just find baked goods crumble more with guar. Could’ve been the egg replacer – I don’t use it so I’m not very familiar with it. I’m quite sure active dry yeast needs to be dissolved with water so I am guessing that’s what your problem was. Boo! Try it again with instant yeast! You will indeed triumph – good bread happens to good people :) Come back and let me know how wildly successful attempt number two is! PS I wish I could send you some chia :)

Gigi March 11, 2011 at 6:07 am

Looks amazing, thanks for making a great bread into a great vegan bread!! I am thinking I’ll play around w/ the bean flour – not agreeable w/ the entire household here, so don’t use it.
You always impress, Maggie! :)
~Gigi

Maggie March 12, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Thanks Gigi – You’re so sweet! Let me know how it turns out. I would love to play with the bean flour too. Probably quinoa would work?

Susan March 13, 2011 at 1:24 am

Ha ha. Oh my gosh. I am going to try to make the bread again tomorrow. I bought instant yeast! Thank you for your patience with the village idiot! Just kidding. I will use xanthan next time, and try it with the egg replacer again. I would love to start using chia all the time. Maybe in the future. Thank you, Dahling. :)

Maggie March 14, 2011 at 6:14 am

Hi Susan – So how did it go? Hoping the yeast did the trick!

Susan March 14, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Maggie! I didn’t get around to it yet. But! I bought chia today! I am stoked to try it! Maybe today will be the day! All this time I thought I was using instant yeast, too, just think of all the heartache I could have saved myself. I feel so defeated every time a loaf fails. Hopefully this will be the one that finally works. I will keep you posted!

Maggie March 15, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Hey Susan – Baby steps, right :) Can’t wait to hear from you. I am waiting patiently!

Alta March 21, 2011 at 3:16 pm

OMG amazing!

Amy March 28, 2011 at 5:23 am

Fantastic recipe – best gluten-free bread I’ve made yet! It’s a winner! It’s nice and spongy and has a great taste.

However, I found the batter very wet so I added in about another 1/4-1/3 flour.

I also made this with active yeast, which was an easy substitution – I put in a little over 2.5 tsp and proofed it in the water with the sugar. I also let the bread rise for several hours, just because I could, which gave it a lot of volume.

Next time I’m going to substitute the oil for yogurt or a puree and see how it turns out because I never like using much oil or butter in my baking.

Maggie March 28, 2011 at 8:43 am

Hey Amy – Thanks for the note! So glad to hear the bread turned out well for you. I love that you played with the yeast a little – I’m always afraid to mess with yeast :) Let me know how the oil sub works out! I’m off to look for you on twitter!

Geanna April 6, 2011 at 12:38 pm

This looks lovely. I can’t wait to try it, but I will need to pick up some palm sugar first.

Maggie April 6, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Hey Geanna – It is a lovely loaf of bread. I’ve successfully used my flour blend with quinoa, sorghum, and arrowroot. Let me know how you like it.

Lindsay at Kitchen Operas April 7, 2011 at 10:06 am

Thanks, Maggie – this is great! I just made a buckwheat & chickpea flour version – yummmm! A little crumbly but rather delicious, and oh so soft!

Maggie April 7, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Hey Lindsay – So glad you like it. I make it at least once a week and I’ve been playing with it too! It is so soft, that’s what I love about it!

Jeanne April 9, 2011 at 11:25 pm

I made this today and it came out exactly like yours. I used active dry yeast instead of instant and proofed it first as suggested above. It rose over the pan in 45 minutes, baked in exactly 55 minutes, slices easily and has a nice crumb – BUT I have to admit I’m not fond of the bean flour. Any suggestions for a replacement?

Maggie April 11, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Hi Jeanne – I am so glad that it worked perfectly for you. It’s always nice to hear that :) I have used my mix before and it works well too. Here it is: 2 cups arrowroot flour, 2 cups sorghum OR rice flour, 2/3 cup of quinoa flour, 3 tsp xanthan gum. I use 3 cups of this mix plus a little more xanthan gum (1/2 tsp or so). Hope that helps!

Lynne April 16, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Hi Maggie,
I have made this bread 3 times and absolutely love the taste and texture. My question is that each time the bottom of the loaf is doughy. Do you have any ideas? Too long rising (1 hr) or not long enought baking (55min)? have followed everything else so don’t think that it is ingredients. Any tips would help. Thankyou.

Maggie April 16, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Hi Lynne, I’m so glad you like the bread. We really do too. I have had this happen to me – there’s been a narrow line of uncooked dough. I’ve found that increasing the baking time helps. Try 2 minutes the first time and just keep adding a minute or two to see if that helps. Let me know how it goes. Thanks so much.

Lynne April 18, 2011 at 11:23 am

Thanks, I’ll try that.

Emily May 30, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Hi Susan, just wanted to say that I just tried this recipe and it came out great! (after several botched attempts tweaking other recipes, I wanted something that would be a more sure fire bet, and it was!) I used active dry yeast and proofed it with 1/4 cup of the warm water that the recipe called for. I used mostly chia seeds and only 1/2 tsp of xanthan (trying to cut back on that stuff…did you know its derived from corn mould?). It rose really quickly for the non-instant yeast (45 min) and I’m not sure why (usually it takes several hrs)…could be the small amount of baking soda? anyway, i’m stoked about this recipe and will use it again!
- Emily

Maggie June 2, 2011 at 3:16 am

Hey Emily – Thanks so much for the comment about the bread. I love hearing about people’s modifications. I have made it with entirely chia and no xanthan and it turns out fine, just not as photogenic :) Thanks again!

Nadia August 7, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Hi Maggie!

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe and your clear instructions. I tried it today for the first time and it came out very well (though, my roommate asked me if I had baked a cake :P).
I substituted the xanthan gum for chia seeds (whole, not ground), which did make it crumble a bit, but not enough for the bread to fall apart (just a bit of the crust). I also used olive oil.
Also, I used active dry yeast instead of instant and had no problem with the bread rising. I proofed the yeast in 1/2 cup of the warm water with half the sugar asked for in the recipe and once it finished proofing, I added all of the liquids (using the remaining 3/4 cup of water), following with the dry ingredients.

Maggie August 7, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Hi Nadia – Thank you so much for leaving such a detailed comment. It’s so helpful for other people! And for me! I really appreciate it. And I’m so glad you enjoyed it.

Lexi August 8, 2011 at 1:31 pm

I hope my search for good gluten-free, vegan bread for my food allergic DS ends here. I have a couple of questions though. What’s chia and what can I use instead of it? Flax seeds?

Maggie August 8, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Hey Lexi – I hope it ends here too! I think it will. Chia is similar to flax in that it’s high in omegas. Check out this post on chia http://www.lexieskitchen.com/lexies_kitchen/2011/2/8/meet-mr-chia.html . You can indeed try it with ground flax instead of chia, although I haven’t. I use 1 tbsp of ground chia mixed with 1/4 cup of water for to replace one egg. The original recipe called for 2 eggs. Hope this helps! Let me know.

Cynthia August 26, 2011 at 10:16 pm

Susan, it didn’t work for me either. Total disaster. I followed the recipe exactly, using the ingredients in gf mix #2 to avoid bean flours. Used superfine brown rice flour and chia seeds soaked to gel as directed…avoided gums, and used coconut oil. The dough was more like cake batter, so added another 1/4 cup at a time (to a total of a whole cup more!) of the mix and it was still quite liquid. The dough/batter rose up only to fall immediately in the oven. Did not rise during baking at all. Another huge expense of costly ingredients and time. I have yet to make a gluten free, gum free, vegan bread that not only looks good but tastes good. I am not a beginner baker, and I have the best kitchen tools. Soooooo disappointed….another tearful experience!

Cynthia August 26, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Well, before I look like I knew what I was doing, I decided to read every one of the reviews and discovered for the first time that you have to proof active yeast which is what I used instead of instant. However, I thought I was doing myself a favor and following the instructions exactly instead of realizing I had active yeast instead of instant. So Susan, you’re not alone. I usually proof my yeast, but jumped the gun on this one. Anyway, that doesn’t explain why the batter was so liquid and what should I do about that? I don’t use sorghum flour or bean flours, can anyone make a suggestion for a bread mix here I can try again without feeling defeated before I even start? I want so much for this to be a success for me, too! Thank You!

Maggie August 27, 2011 at 5:48 am

Hi Cynthia – Sorry to hear about your first experience with the recipe. The recipe as is was designed to be used with instant yeast so I’m sure (as you discovered by reading the comments) that was your main problem. The second problem might have been with the chia. The recipe calls for ground chia. In your first comment you wrote chia seeds. Were they ground? The other thing is total avoidance of gums, in my experience, makes for a crumbier loaf. Gluten-free bread dough is a lot like cake batter so don’t add too much. Do you have a scale? If so, hop over to Amy’s site (linked in the recipe) and check her weights for flour. I use my mix with quinoa, sorghum, and arrowroot (with guar gum). I’ve used brown rice flour to replace the sorghum so I think you should be okay with the mix. Hope this helps! Thanks for your comments!

eve April 6, 2012 at 10:01 am

A little late in response here, but I think I can help?? The batter being too liquid – forgive me if this is an ignorant response – perhaps reduce the water for the flours you are using. Sorghum is a “thirsty flour” so it soaks up water. Which is why the water ratio is what it is. Since you are not using it, try reducing the water OR using another “thirsty” flour. I do not know all of them, but I *think* if you can do oats then GF oat flour is thirsty as well? Maybe check on that one. . . .HTH helps, a little late!

Maggie April 7, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Thanks Eve! That’s great feedback.

Ashlae August 28, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I am so happy to have found this post. I found out a few days ago that I’m gluten intolerant, so I’m now a gluten-free vegan. However, I love bread and eat copious amounts of it everyday. I realized that the Rudi’s bread I purchased has eggs in it and was pretty bummed.. until I found this recipe! Thank you so much for sharing.. I am making it tonight :)

Maggie August 28, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Hi Ashlae – I’m happy you’ve found it too! Let me know how it goes! And I love bread too :) Especially with peanut butter and bananas. Mmmmm.

glutenfreeforgood September 9, 2011 at 10:55 am

Wow, that is one beautiful loaf of bread. Perfect!

Maggie September 11, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Thanks Melissa! It works out well every time. I’ve been working on cutting out the gums. It gets too crumbly if you eliminate it completely. Where do you stand on the gum issue? Would love to know!

Sara October 14, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I have several food allergies including gluten, dairy, corn and eggs so finding a gluten free vegan bread recipe has been difficult. I have tried substituting eggs and xantham gum with flax meal before, but I always get an itchy throat after and the bread never turns out right. I just made this recipe and I could not be more excite! The outside is crunchy brown and the inside is soft just like real bread. The only issue I had was after I let it rise in my ovens warmer on low and took it out to put it in the oven it deflated a little. Do you have any suggestions on how to avoid this so it can rise past the brim of the loaf pan?

Maggie October 19, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Hey Sara – You’re so welcome! I looked high and low for a vegan and gluten-free bread recipe too! I’ve had it deflate on me too – usually if I jostle the bread pan too much, or let it rise too long. Sometimes it also happens when the air gets at it. Also, did you use guar or xanthan? Lastly, it could be the active dry yeast. Try instant next time, I’ve never made it with active dry. I find my gum-free loaves never stay poofy. Hope this helps! Thanks for coming back to tell us about your adventure!

Sara October 14, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Also, forgot to add I actually used Bob’s Red Mill GF All Purpose Baking Flour and it worked out great! I used active dry yeast which might explain why it didn’t rise past the brim, but I’m not sure.

Amber October 29, 2011 at 7:04 am

Can this bread be made with a hand mixer? It seems every recipe I find that doesn’t use a bread machine calls for a stand mixer, which I don’t have. Just wondering if it makes a huge difference as I’m not really a big baker.

Maggie October 29, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Hi Amber – I think you could try it with a hand mixer, though I have never used one. Have you ever baked GF bread? The dough is a lot different than wheat dough. It’s more wet. You just might need to beat it for a little longer if you’re using a hand mixer. Let me know how it goes!

Kate December 27, 2011 at 4:49 pm

I just wanted to let you know how much I love this bread! I’ve been vegan for several years and recently found out that I’m gluten intolerant. This is the first gluten-free bread I’ve made, and it turned out wonderfully. I didn’t have Amy’s Basic Flour Blend, but I used my own, and it worked fine. I also didn’t have chia, so I used ground flax instead, and that worked just fine too. To top it all off, I used a hand mixer because I didn’t have a stand mixer. The bread turned out beautiful. Golden, soft on the inside, crunchy on the outside, smooth texture, and great flavor. This recipe is definitely a keeper! Bread is a staple ingredient in my family’s diet, and all the bread we eat is homemade by my dad. I was so sad to have to let it go, but now I can make my own loaves. Thank you so much.

Maggie December 29, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Kate you are awesome! Thanks for this great comment :) It is the BEST bread recipe, isn’t it? We’re all out of bread right now and I may have to whip some up tomorrow. Thanks so much for sharing your subs. Happy New Year!

Farzana March 14, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Oh I am definitely gonna try this recipe ! Thanks ! One question though. I have used the flax gel in breads and EVERY SINGLE TIME, my bread is gummy even after over cooking it. Wondering if it will do the same even with the Chia? Anyone ? Otherwise, I would love to try it. Just dont want a gummy bread, that’s all.

Maggie March 14, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Hey Farzana – I’ve never had it happen with chia and I’ve never had anyone tell me that happened with this bread. So I say, throw caution to the wind and go for it :) Let me know what you think!

Farzana March 17, 2012 at 3:03 pm

THanks for the reply Maggie. One other thing. . . regarding the consistency of the dough . . . I keep reading it should be like cake batter. This could mean a couple of different things. Can you describe it any other way? Is it supposed to be REALLY thick to a point where you could shape it or should it still be a little watery type of thing if you know what I mean? Curious if you ever tried this with flax gel instead of chia. Do yo u think I would get the same results? Cant wait to try this recipe this weekend!

Maggie March 19, 2012 at 9:17 am

Hey Farzana – It’s like a sticky cake batter. The only reason I don’t like making this bread is because the batter is sticky which makes it hard to clean up. Does that help? You definitely can’t knead it. I haven’t tried it with flax gel, I’m a huge chia fan so we always use that. I used Amy’s Basic Flour Blend – I mention that and link to it in the recipe. Let me know how your bread quest goes and if you haven’t any more questions :)
Maggie

Farzana March 17, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Oopsies, not trying to be annoying . . . which flour blend did you use of Amy’s? there are a few. THANKS ! :-)

Farzana March 19, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Hi Maggie. Thank for getting back to me ! Yes, it does help a lot. Regarding the mix, when you click on the link “Basic flour blend”. It goes to another screen that has about 4 different types of her blends. One with sorghum, one with grains , etc. . . which blend exactly did you use in this recipe. This bread looks so good and WITHOUT eggs, I really want to try this specific one ! Thanks so much. You have been really helpful. I still have some slices left from my previously made bread. I think I will make this coming weekend. Have to get the chia’s this week. Wonder if I can use guar gum instead of xanthum gum. . . I am allergic to corn. :-(

Maggie March 20, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Hi Farzana – I used the one called Amy’s Basic Flour Blend. But now I just use my own bean-free flour blend. I use guar and xanthan interchangeably most of the time. I find guar doesn’t work quite as well, but it still holds it together. Okay, now go bake that bread :)
Maggie

Farzana April 11, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Hi Maggie, just thought I would update you. What a mess! The bread actually rose beautifully in my oven. I actually was baking some chicken before this. I probably turned it off for 20 min or so and then I placed my bread in there to rise. I was shocked at how nicely it rose! When it came time to remove the plastic on top (I used a plastic shower cap) the dough actually was stuck on the plastic and maybe about 1/4 cup of the dough came off! Also, I noticed the holes or bubbles were huge. I guess this is a good thing but then when I actually started to bake the loaf (in the meantime, I placed my loaf in the closet where my hot heater tank is) it SUNK like you wouldnt believe. Its still in there. I figure, I might as well taste it when its done! I was really hoping this was gonna be the recipe. Maybe I should try it in my bread machine ?

Maggie April 12, 2012 at 8:37 am

Hey Farzana – Sounds like you had a crazy mess on your hands. Darn it! Based on what you described, I’m quite sure it was the shower cap that lead to all of your troubles. Pulling it away with dough on it would really mess with the chemistry of baking :) It’s too bad this recipe didn’t work for you. I’ve made it many times (following the above instructions and ingredients) and many others have made it with great success. If you feel more comfortable with the all recipes version, I would stick with that too.
Thanks for reporting back.

Farzana April 11, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Okay, so i let it bake for 55 min. When I sliced into it, it was still uncooked, wet and gummy but the loaf on teh outside was very dark brown. I feel so defeated :-( Guess I will stick to the recipe I have been using from allreciples.com

Kathy April 12, 2012 at 11:50 pm

If the GF flour already has xanthan gum, do I still need to add xanthan gum or chia seeds as indicated in the recipe? I am looking for a good recipe to make bread and so far I haven’t succeeded yet. Thank you.

Maggie April 13, 2012 at 5:22 am

Hi Kathy – It depends on how much xanthan is in the mix. I would start by adding only 1 tsp of the xanthan called for in this recipe.
Let me know if you have any more questions.
Happy baking!
Maggie

amelia April 30, 2012 at 8:50 pm

I have made about 8 versions of gluten free bread. Most of them successful. BUT after they are a couple of days old they crumble like a cake. I’ve tried freezing the loaves as soon as they are cool. I’ve tried not freezing them right away and still no difference. Does this loaf go crumbly after a couple of days? Is that the nature of gluten free? By the way, we are nubies to gluten free.
I really like using buckwheat, sorghum,brown rice, millet or chickpea flours.

Maggie May 1, 2012 at 11:00 am

Hi Amelia – This is a tough question! I do think it might be a symptom of gluten-free bread. That said, this is a beautiful loaf (especially with the xanthan gum). I always keep it on the counter for a couple of days and then slice and freeze, we go through it pretty fast and I’ve never really noticed crumbling to be a problem. We always toast it though, after the first day or so. You could use some of your flour faves to make this recipe – I always play around with my flours. The result will be different each time, obviously. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions. Happy baking!

Farzana June 1, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Maggie ! I have some news for you! I tried your loaf again today. I am so happy, my loaf DID NOT get gummy, YAY! First time EVER! Every single time I have used flax or Chia egg replacer, my breads got gummy and under cooked inside. . no matter how long i bake it for. My bread looks EXACTLY like yours EXCEPT it did not rise like that. I used Active Dry Yeast so I could adjust the dough after the first rise (the first time, wayyyy to much liquid), I reduced the liquid by 1/2 cup and added maybe about up to 3 TBSP more sorghum flour after the first rise cuz it looked too wet. Also, I used Canola oil, cuz it was all I had today. I made it in my bread machine so I didnt have to worry about where to rise it, how to rise it. . . shoot the darn thing just does it for you LOL. I removed my paddles before second rise. Three negatives: I really, really hate the beany taste, a little too much salt for my taste buds and it didnt rise like normal bread, as you say. I think I will freeze it though and make some bread crumbs out of this later! Maybe one day, I will change it up by using a different type of “light” flour instead of the bean. Lemme know if you have any idea why it didnt rise much. THANKS SO MUCH !

Maggie June 2, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Hi Farzana – I’m really glad to hear your news! Yay for gummyless bread :)
I can’t speak to your rising question since I’ve never made it with a bread machine, and I don’t use Active Dry Yeast in this recipe. Those are pretty big variables so it could be either of those.
Enjoy and thanks for the report!

Roxanne June 6, 2012 at 9:38 pm

LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it!! Husband said it is the best gluten free bread I’ve made thus far :) (coconut flour, spelt flour, yada, yada yada :)) YAY. I used gr. chia seeds in place of xanthan gum and I used grapeseed oil instead of the others listed. Going to try this for pizza crust and also will play with the flours for some variation. Thank you soo much!!!

Kelly October 2, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Can this be made in a bread machine? This recipe looks great. I’ve been searching for a gluten-free, egg-free bread machine recipe for a while that is nutritious that our whole family can eat. I love that this has a little garbanzo flour and chia seeds. Thanks!!

Maggie October 3, 2012 at 4:14 am

Hi Kelly – I’ve never tried it in a bread machine so I’m not sure. I have a few bread recipes on my site and some of the comments detail how to make those in a bread machine. You might want to check those out. Let me know how your family likes the loaf :)

Mulu October 13, 2012 at 11:40 am

Maggie,

This recipe is amazing. I have been glulten free for three months, and one of the most difficult parts for me was not having delicious bread. Gluten free bread can be pretty dry and can taste like cardboard. So, I was resigned to the fact that I would never have toast with apple butter or a sandwich. But, I tried this recipe and it was just incredible. I changed the flours and it actually came out looking like your picture. It slices beautifully, and tastes so good!!!

Thank you for sharing!!

Mulu

Maggie October 15, 2012 at 8:39 am

Hi Mulu – Thanks so much for sharing the great news :) I’m so happy you tried it and loved it! Have a fabulous day.

Kelly Smith March 4, 2013 at 12:28 pm

LOVED the texture of this bread. It turned out so lovely, but we cannot get past the bean flavor. What is the bean-free blend you have used successfully in this recipe? I would really like to try your wonderful recipe again sans the garbanzo-fava flour. THANKS!

Maggie March 4, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Hey Kelly – It does have great texture, I’m glad you liked it too! Here’s the link to the other mix http://www.sheletthemeatcake.com/2009/12/gluten-free-flour-mix-2/ . Let me know how it goes!

Kelly Smith March 6, 2013 at 8:50 am

Thank you so much for the kind reply. My daughter cannot have eggs right now and finding a bread recipe with good results hasn’t been easy. I’m anxious to try it with the alternative flours!

Maggie March 7, 2013 at 8:47 am

My pleasure Kelly! Thanks for reading.
Let me know how it goes :)
Maggie

Anne June 13, 2013 at 7:35 am

Maggie,
I wanted to thank you for this recipe! I have never made gluten-free bread before and was nervous! I had to substitute a couple of things–flax seed for chia seed, Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour for Amy’s Blend and xylitol for palm sugar–but it turned out great! My husband, the bread lover, loved it and so did my college-aged children. Since the experience was a success, I am confident to continue and experiment with different flours. Today I am going to substitute 1 cup of sorghum flour for 1 of the cups of the Bob’s Red Mill Flour, since you said you have substituted sorghum flour for bean flour with success. I appreciate you sharing this recipe! Thanks!

lynneta August 17, 2013 at 9:22 pm

this came together more like a dough than a batter.. it came together in pieces and they formed into a dough i added a bit more water to make it moist.. well see what happens.. its in a bowl to rise now.. i used 1 cup of quinoa, 1 cup gf bean flour mix and 1 cup of tapioca.. could any of those been wrong..

i am going to bake it. if it doesnt come out perfect.. oh well ill eat it anyway and try again maybe just using the bean flou and quinoa.. maybe the tapioca was too light?

any ideas.

Maggie August 18, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Hi Lynneta – Is the gf bean flour a mix of flours, or just bean flour? Bean flour does work quite well in bread recipes. I think this mix would work just fine. I am guessing it was the eyeballing etc…that resulted in a funny loaf. Next time follow the directions, use the same combo of flours, and let me know how it turns out!
Thanks so much Lynneta!
Maggie

lynneta August 17, 2013 at 11:35 pm

well i made it anyway.. it came out hard but it was done in the middle.. i ate a piece anyway an d it was good.. not sliceable like for a sandwhich bread for my bean burgers, but it taste good with jam. wonder what i did wrong.. oh well. it satisfied the bread craving i had lol

lynneta August 17, 2013 at 11:42 pm

oh i also added the salt in with the dry ingredients.. i noticed after i read the recipe you added yours at the end.. i used xantham gar.. i also eyeballed a few things not use to measuring but with baking .. i guess its more precise.. so if you think my flours were ok.. i may try this again measure everything and follow directions, but the loaf cooked at least.. its just hard on the outside.. didnt rise.. but it taste good with jam lol

ok i am done.. i know you will get all three of my posts in the morning.. love your site and will be making more from it and I will perfect this bread . thanks for your help in advance.