Fabulous Finds: Adventures of a Gluten-Free Mom

by Maggie on March 28, 2011

Blogging has brought a lot of amazing people into my life in a very short time. The cool thing about it is we’re all connected by our love of food, our gluten-free adventures (or misadventures), and our desire to make the path to a healthy lifestyle easier for others.

Heidi from Adventures of a Gluten-Free Mom was one of my first blogging friends. We immediately hit it off.  I think it’s because we have a lot in common – we’re both the lucky moms of 2 adorable kids, we both care a great deal about the food we’re putting into our family’s bodies, and we both like to have fun!

Heidi is an inspiration. She’s doing everything possible to ensure her boys are healthy and happy. She’s working hard to get to the bottom her family’s health problems, and in doing so, she’s making sure we know what to ask our doctors and what to look for in our test results.

It’s truly amazing; she’s doing incredible things for the gluten-free community. And her blog is an excellent resource for everyone, not just those with gluten-free kids.

I’ve wanted to test out some of Heidi’s kid-friendly recipes since I found her amazingly resourceful blog over a year ago. I finally found the time to play with her recipes!

The first recipe I had to try was her Cashew Cream Cheese , which was super creamy with the addition of hummus. We make cashew cream a lot but this was my first time using hummus. It really makes for a creamy dip. I will definitely make it again when I have hummus in the fridge. It’s a great way to sneak protein and super foods into your kids’ tummies!

Since I had some of Heidi’s Cashew Cream Cheese, I knew I had to make her dairy-free Ranch Dressing , which was gobbled up in no time. My kids, especially my two-year old, love to dip. This is a great recipe to make for anyone. Even those who are used to the dairy-filled version. I will definitely make this dip for our next party!

And of course I had to try her Goldfish Crackers!  These are a delightful little cracker. My friend who tried them said they reminded her of Premium Plus Crackers! I made mine with Daiya cheese, coconut oil, and potato starch. I didn’t have a goldfish cookie cutter so Callum thought we could use a mini dog bone cookie cutter!?! The dough was so easy to work with and Callum helped me every step of the way.  I love recipes like that!

When you check out Heidi’s blog, make sure you read the comments. They are always full of interesting conversations, the sharing of ideas, and adaptations for her recipes. Heidi makes sure no one’s comment goes unanswered.

Want to try one of Heidi’s many recipes? She’s got a recipe index that includes a “kid-friendly” category.  I definitely need one of those!

This month’s Adopt a Gluten-Free Blogger roundup is hosted by Sea from  the ever-excellent The Book of Yum. Look for the roundup around the 12th of April, 2011.

By the way, please come and join me on She Let Them Eat Cake’s new Facebook page. I would love to share ideas and recipes with you there too!

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats March 28, 2011 at 8:19 pm

What a great review! I must check out Heidi’s blog :)

Maggie March 29, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Thanks Valerie!

Iris March 28, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Those goldfish crackers look awesome! I always love looking at Heidi’s recipes and photos. She has a great ability to create a homemade version of commercial foods, like these goldfish crackers.

Maggie March 29, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Hey Iris – They were pretty fun crackers! I agree, Heidi’s ability to make a gluten-free version of pretty much anything is amazing!

Heidi @ Adventures of a Gluten Free Mom March 28, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Oh Maggie!!! What a nice surprise, you sure know how to make a girl feel special…thank you! :-D

I’m so glad you and your cute little ones enjoyed the recipes…I love the dog bone cutter, I have one too and have been meaning to use it on some allergy-friendly graham crackers (kind of like those Scooby Snacks, do they have those in Canada?)

I was thinking of you today when I added some purple cabbage to my veggie and hummus tray…brilliant idea girlfriend!

Counting the days until I can give you a big hug in person!

Heidi

Maggie March 29, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Heidi! You’re so welcome. I could have kept writing and writing about you but I knew I had to stop somewhere! You are indeed very special! We do have those scooby snacks, great idea! I have a successful graham cracker recipe in my back pocket, I’m just waiting for the right time to bust it out! xo

Kristin @ Peace, Love and Muesli March 29, 2011 at 5:02 am

I haven’t been to Heidi’s in some time, going now and I’m going to make cashew cream on the way.

Maggie March 29, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Hey Kristin – How was said cashew cream?

Wendy @ Celiacs in the House March 29, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Heidi is one of my favorite people. She is so smart and so funny and so full of life. You did a beautiful job of introducing a beautiful gluten-free blogger and her recipes.

Maggie March 29, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Thanks Wendy! It’s always pretty easy to write about Heidi and the other amazing women in our circle! She’s one of my faves too :)

Sophie March 30, 2011 at 3:05 am

I also love her beautiful blog. This is such a lovely post, Maggie!

I just gave you an AWARD!! Yeah!!! Come over @ my latest post & pick it up, please! Enjoy!! You can read there why I gave it too you too!

Zoe March 31, 2011 at 11:23 am

An amazing round-up, Maggie! I have to try to adopt a blogger next month or something; it slipped my mind completely, as did this month’s GAHIGF, unfortunately. I love the idea of a kid-friendly category in the recipe index, why didn’t I think of that? I think I’m going to take a leaf out of Heidi’s book and do the same with mine. :) For me, kid-friendly is not only anything that kids will eat and love but also ones that they can easily participate in making if they want. My brother loves mixing ingredients for batter or dough, for example, he almost always pitches in of his own accord whenever he sees the mixing bowl out.

Shirley @ gfe March 31, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Really, really great adoption post, Maggie! I love how you always make several recipes, and you chose some very cool ones of Heidi’s. Love that you made some dog bone crackers with Caleb. I’m just imagining how fun that was! :-) Heidi is a gem for all of us; there’s no doubt there! It’s neat that you mentioned that folks should read her readers’ comments, too. She always has lively, intelligent discussions there as well as on her Facebook page. In summary, love Heidi, and you did such a great job of capturing her in this post, Maggie.

Maggie April 4, 2011 at 5:33 am

Thank you Shirley! Heidi is indeed a gem. I can’t wait to check out her latest post! I’m going to adopt you soon so I can rave about those granola bars!

Gluten Free Diet Foods June 8, 2011 at 4:59 am

Will check out the blog. Thanks for sharing.