Adzuki Bean and Quinoa Veggie Burgers

by Maggie on March 22, 2011

Make sure you subscribe to my newsletter to get your copy of 10 Easy Recipes For The Gluten-Free Beginner.

I love a good veggie burger. There’s something comforting about veggie burgers and fries, don’t you think?

However, I’ve always had a difficult time making a good veggie burger at home. For some reason I was hooked on cooking them in a frying pan on my stove-top. Time after time, it just didn’t work. No matter what I added.  It. Just. Didn’t. Work.

Instead we had yummy bean piles that barely made it to our plates in one piece.

The yummy bean piles tasted good, but that’s not what I was after. I wanted veggie burgers! A veggie burger that you could put on a bun, serve with some sweet potato fries, and really dig in to! Ah, comfort food.

Finally, with a little help from my friend Kim from Your Green Baby, I did it! After reading a few of her amazingly healthy and yummy recipes, I realized she always bakes her veggie burgers.

So, I baked my yummy bean piles. And it worked!

Adzuki and Quinoa Veggie Burgers

Inspired by Dreena Burton’s Adzuki Bean and Rice Cakes

1 cup chopped red onion
3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
1 cup chopped veggie of your choice, we like celery, carrots, or orange pepper
2 cups cooked quinoa
1 ½ cups cooked adzuki beans
2 ½ tbsp unsweetened salsa
2 tbsp chipotle sauce
1 ½ tsp grainy dijon mustard
1 tsp sea salt
black pepper to taste
1 ½ cups almond flour

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a cookie sheet or pizza stone.

Cook red onion and garlic in a frying pan over medium heat until soft. Add celery or carrots or orange pepper and cook for 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and place in the bowl of your food processor. Add cooked quinoa, adzuki beans, salsa, chipotle sauce, and mustard. Process until combined. Add sea salt, ground pepper, and almond flour. Process until desired consistency is reached and almond flour is well distributed.

Place veggie burger mixture into a bowl, cover and place in the fridge to cool for at least 30 minutes.

Remove from fridge and form into patties that are approximately 4 inches wide. Place on prepared cookie sheet and cook at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Flip burgers after 15 minutes.

Serve burgers on a glorious gluten-free bun, or a crunchy pile of greens tossed with lemon and olive oil.

Yield: 6-8 burgers that won’t fall apart

Laura Badiyan-Eyford March 22, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Yum! I can’t wait to try these Maggie!

Jenn March 23, 2011 at 2:31 am

Mmm beautiful! I just bought adzuki beans recently and have been wondering what to do with them – these burgers look awesome!

Ricki March 23, 2011 at 6:49 am

They look great! I always bake my burgers, too. . . I never did seem to master the “fried in a pan” versions (mine always broke apart as well). I bet adzukis make a fabulous, savory burger–I can imagine the flavor of these! Thanks for joining the SOS Challenge this month, Maggie, with such a wonderful submission. :D

Kristin @ Peace, Love and Muesli March 23, 2011 at 9:37 am

I’ve never had adzuki beans before. Best give them a try!
This is the summer I master a gluten free hamburger bun.

Shirley @ gfe March 23, 2011 at 10:44 am

Those look awesome, Maggie! I seriously love all the flavors. Well, except the adzuki beans, which I haven’t tried yet. Must do so now.

I actually “fry” my black bean burgers in the skillet, but they contain egg. I’ve made them without egg, but they are a little more fragile. Baking the egg-free versions would be a great idea!

Danielle March 23, 2011 at 11:10 am

Ohh, I love a good veggie burger! I’m with you ladies on never being able to successfully pan-fry my burgers without them falling apart. Suprisingly, I have not tried adzuki beans so I can’t wait to try them in this burger! I’ve been craving some spicy sweet potato fries lately and this gives me the perfect excuse to make them. Sounds delish! Positive vibes….

Zoe March 23, 2011 at 11:33 am

These look like veggie burgers I would eat! They look – and sound – much healthier than the frozen veggie burger patties found at the store, which my family hasn’t had in a long time thanks to fillers like gluten, etc. We’ve stuck to making our own burgers with ground pork or beef. We’ll have to try your veggie burgers now, Maggie – thanks! :)

Alisa Cooks March 23, 2011 at 11:45 am

Adzuki beans everywhere I click! I still haven’t tried those little buggers, but love homemade veggie burgers!

Gluten Free Betsy March 23, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Yum! I can’t wait to make these!

Carolyn Savage March 23, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Hey mags – where does one get these beans ? Health food store I assume? Do this kiddies eat them (or too spicy). Would love to try this out !!!

Christine March 23, 2011 at 5:08 pm

I think these sound lovely. I like the nuttiness of adzuki beans:) I manage to fry my burgers ok, but if the oven is on for oven chips, then I usually pop the burgers in there, too because I might as well fill the oven!

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free March 23, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Maggie, these sound wonderful. I have had the same conundrum as you. Time after time, in my frying pan, they would just turn out kind of yucky (for lack of a better word). These look so good and I just love all of those ingredients together. Yum!!
xo
k

Lexie March 24, 2011 at 6:48 pm

“4-6 burgers that won’t fall apart” I am IN! I will try the baking trick … and this recipe. Really needing inspiration for meatless meals. Thanks for this one.

Annie March 28, 2011 at 7:40 pm

All I ever got was yummy bean piles too! Can’t wait to try these.

Aubree Cherie March 29, 2011 at 8:53 am

You and you’re amazing idea’s Maggie… Seriously! I love how these look and I imagine they’re good and filling too. Yum :) I’ve added this recipe to My Fav Recipes from Last Week post.

Thanks! ~Aubree Cherie

Mom2AK March 30, 2011 at 8:25 pm

I made these last night and there were delicious! I love, love, love them. Thank you so much for this recipe. Have you tried freezing any leftovers?

Laura Badiyan-Eyford March 31, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Tried them this evening and they were SO delicious! :)

Roxanne and Channa April 4, 2011 at 11:04 am

Are these the super yummy burgers we experienced at your house!!! I am going to attempt the quinoa brownies today!!! Miss you!! Loving the kale chips too!!

Alta April 7, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Love this! I cooked up a bunch of adzuki beans this past weekend and froze some. I think these burgers will be just the thing! Although I can imagine making them semi-not-so-vegan and top with an egg for breakfast, alongside some greens. Yum!

Shu Han April 26, 2011 at 11:26 am

great idea! I’m chinese and i love red bean! but i’ve only mainly had it in sweet desserts and pastries, never savoury!

Gigi April 27, 2011 at 6:49 am

Maggie,

I’ve been thinking about this post since the first time I read it. I don’t have Adzuki beans on hand, but I do have some beans cooked waiting in the fridge. And I have leftover rice from the other night’s dinner. I think I’m going to try a version using what I’ve got on hand, and change the almond flour to a nut-free blend. In other words, I’m destroying a wonderful recipe (sorry!!), but I wanted you to know you’re inspiring me in the kitchen, as always! :)

Gigi

Michelle July 26, 2011 at 11:39 pm

What’s chipotle sauce? can you use a different sauce, or is this to form the salsa?

Keilah September 5, 2011 at 1:34 pm

I am so excited to find a non-soy veggie burger! Do they freeze well if I make a large batch?

Hillary February 29, 2012 at 12:44 am

Just made these today!!! They are incredible!!!

Kate April 18, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Thanks for the recipe! Made it tonight and got 12 3″ burgers out of it. I froze half for future meals. Not knowing what “chipotle sauce” was, I cooked my quinoa with dried ground chipotle powder and dried garlic, then used 2Tbsp tomato paste in the recipe. Even my 3-year-old enjoyed this.

Madeline May 24, 2012 at 10:40 am

If I use Buckwheat flour, do you think I’ll get the same results, or do I need the oil from the almonds to make them stick?
Thanks,
Madeline

Eric May 26, 2012 at 6:36 pm

These Adzuki Burgers ARE MY NEW FAVOURITE MEAL !!!!! Roxanne made them for the first time tonight… follow the URL below to see a pic of the Rox’s first attempt. THANK YOU MAGGIE…these burgers are one of those recipes that makes Maggie’s culinary art so damn special :) luv eric & rox

ingrid June 6, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Yay!!! Thanks so much! I have tried so many veggie burger recipes that turned out terrible….but these turned out great!!

Athomeattorney March 11, 2013 at 9:08 pm

I love all the veggies in these burgers. We have adzuki beans dried, now it is time to cook them up! Thanks for the great recipe.

Heather April 3, 2013 at 9:52 am

I can’t wait to make these! Just came across the recipe. Do you have the calorie/nutritional count for these burgers? Thanks!

Heather

JCB October 25, 2013 at 10:43 am

Is the 1 1/2 cup measurement of adzuki beans of the dry beans or the cooked beans?
Want to make this soon, it sounds so good.