Adzuki Bean and Quinoa Veggie Burgers

by Maggie on March 22, 2011

Make sure you subscribe to my newsletter to get your copy of 10 Easy Recipes For The Gluten-Free Beginner.

I love a good veggie burger. There’s something comforting about veggie burgers and fries, don’t you think?

However, I’ve always had a difficult time making a good veggie burger at home. For some reason I was hooked on cooking them in a frying pan on my stove-top. Time after time, it just didn’t work. No matter what I added.  It. Just. Didn’t. Work.

Instead we had yummy bean piles that barely made it to our plates in one piece.

The yummy bean piles tasted good, but that’s not what I was after. I wanted veggie burgers! A veggie burger that you could put on a bun, serve with some sweet potato fries, and really dig in to! Ah, comfort food.

Finally, with a little help from my friend Kim from Your Green Baby, I did it! After reading a few of her amazingly healthy and yummy recipes, I realized she always bakes her veggie burgers.

So, I baked my yummy bean piles. And it worked!

Adzuki and Quinoa Veggie Burgers

Inspired by Dreena Burton’s Adzuki Bean and Rice Cakes

1 cup chopped red onion
3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
1 cup chopped veggie of your choice, we like celery, carrots, or orange pepper
2 cups cooked quinoa
1 ½ cups cooked adzuki beans
2 ½ tbsp unsweetened salsa
2 tbsp chipotle sauce
1 ½ tsp grainy dijon mustard
1 tsp sea salt
black pepper to taste
1 ½ cups almond flour

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a cookie sheet or pizza stone.

Cook red onion and garlic in a frying pan over medium heat until soft. Add celery or carrots or orange pepper and cook for 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and place in the bowl of your food processor. Add cooked quinoa, adzuki beans, salsa, chipotle sauce, and mustard. Process until combined. Add sea salt, ground pepper, and almond flour. Process until desired consistency is reached and almond flour is well distributed.

Place veggie burger mixture into a bowl, cover and place in the fridge to cool for at least 30 minutes.

Remove from fridge and form into patties that are approximately 4 inches wide. Place on prepared cookie sheet and cook at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Flip burgers after 15 minutes.

Serve burgers on a glorious gluten-free bun, or a crunchy pile of greens tossed with lemon and olive oil.

Yield: 6-8 burgers that won’t fall apart

Laura Badiyan-Eyford March 22, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Yum! I can’t wait to try these Maggie!

Maggie March 23, 2011 at 8:24 am

Laura! I am so excited to see you on the blog :) Hope you love them!

Jenn March 23, 2011 at 2:31 am

Mmm beautiful! I just bought adzuki beans recently and have been wondering what to do with them – these burgers look awesome!

Maggie March 23, 2011 at 8:25 am

Thanks Jenn. They’re pretty delicious, and a little bit spicy. We love the chipotle flavor.

Ricki March 23, 2011 at 6:49 am

They look great! I always bake my burgers, too. . . I never did seem to master the “fried in a pan” versions (mine always broke apart as well). I bet adzukis make a fabulous, savory burger–I can imagine the flavor of these! Thanks for joining the SOS Challenge this month, Maggie, with such a wonderful submission. :D

Maggie March 23, 2011 at 8:27 am

Hey Ricki – I am glad to know I’m not alone in my attempts to pan fry a homemade veggie burger!

Kristin @ Peace, Love and Muesli March 23, 2011 at 9:37 am

I’ve never had adzuki beans before. Best give them a try!
This is the summer I master a gluten free hamburger bun.

Maggie March 23, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Hi Kristin – Adzuki beans are awesome. QUICK cooking time, which makes beans from scratch doable in half a day! Please do master the gluten free hamburger bun!

Shirley @ gfe March 23, 2011 at 10:44 am

Those look awesome, Maggie! I seriously love all the flavors. Well, except the adzuki beans, which I haven’t tried yet. Must do so now.

I actually “fry” my black bean burgers in the skillet, but they contain egg. I’ve made them without egg, but they are a little more fragile. Baking the egg-free versions would be a great idea!

Maggie March 23, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Thanks Shirley! You do need to try adzuki beans. They’re a friendly little bean with a quick cooking time. You could also use black beans, they’re about the same size. Eggs are the answer to many of my baking and cooking problems, alas, I am just not allowed :)

Danielle March 23, 2011 at 11:10 am

Ohh, I love a good veggie burger! I’m with you ladies on never being able to successfully pan-fry my burgers without them falling apart. Suprisingly, I have not tried adzuki beans so I can’t wait to try them in this burger! I’ve been craving some spicy sweet potato fries lately and this gives me the perfect excuse to make them. Sounds delish! Positive vibes….

Maggie March 23, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Hey Dani – Thank you muchly for the positive vibes :) I asked twitter a few weeks ago about the secret to successful pan-fried veggie burgers. Where were you girls when I needed you? Everyone who tweeted back seemed confident in their pan-fried veggie burgers. I think they were tricking me!

Zoe March 23, 2011 at 11:33 am

These look like veggie burgers I would eat! They look – and sound – much healthier than the frozen veggie burger patties found at the store, which my family hasn’t had in a long time thanks to fillers like gluten, etc. We’ve stuck to making our own burgers with ground pork or beef. We’ll have to try your veggie burgers now, Maggie – thanks! :)

Maggie March 23, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Thanks Zoe. They are pretty delish and a little spicy! How long until we get a good packaged gluten-free veggie burger. Obviously it’s doable :)

Alisa Cooks March 23, 2011 at 11:45 am

Adzuki beans everywhere I click! I still haven’t tried those little buggers, but love homemade veggie burgers!

Maggie March 23, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Alisa I think you need to take that as a sign – you need to try them!

Gluten Free Betsy March 23, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Yum! I can’t wait to make these!

Maggie March 23, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Hi Betsy – And please let me know how yours turn out!

Carolyn Savage March 23, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Hey mags – where does one get these beans ? Health food store I assume? Do this kiddies eat them (or too spicy). Would love to try this out !!!

Maggie March 23, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Hey Carolyn – I’ve only seen them dried so I’m not sure if you can get them canned. But they don’t take long to prepare because they’re a small bean. The bulk barn might have them, but a health food store would for sure. They are a little spicy but you could use ketchup instead of the chipotle, and use mild salsa.

Christine March 23, 2011 at 5:08 pm

I think these sound lovely. I like the nuttiness of adzuki beans:) I manage to fry my burgers ok, but if the oven is on for oven chips, then I usually pop the burgers in there, too because I might as well fill the oven!

Maggie March 24, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Hi Christine – You’re right, adzuki beans are a little nutty! I am envious of your fried veggie burger success! Yay for you!

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free March 23, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Maggie, these sound wonderful. I have had the same conundrum as you. Time after time, in my frying pan, they would just turn out kind of yucky (for lack of a better word). These look so good and I just love all of those ingredients together. Yum!!
xo
k

Maggie March 24, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Hey Kim – I am so glad I am not alone on the veggie burgers gone piles! They are pretty yum, a little spicy so you might want to tone it down for the kiddies!

Lexie March 24, 2011 at 6:48 pm

“4-6 burgers that won’t fall apart” I am IN! I will try the baking trick … and this recipe. Really needing inspiration for meatless meals. Thanks for this one.

Maggie March 28, 2011 at 8:43 am

You’re welcome Lex! Hope you guys like them. xo

Annie March 28, 2011 at 7:40 pm

All I ever got was yummy bean piles too! Can’t wait to try these.

Maggie March 29, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Hee hee, Annie you are funny!

Aubree Cherie March 29, 2011 at 8:53 am

You and you’re amazing idea’s Maggie… Seriously! I love how these look and I imagine they’re good and filling too. Yum :) I’ve added this recipe to My Fav Recipes from Last Week post.

Thanks! ~Aubree Cherie

Maggie March 29, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Yay Aubree, you are the best! Thanks so much for the compliment and the honor! I love making that list!

Mom2AK March 30, 2011 at 8:25 pm

I made these last night and there were delicious! I love, love, love them. Thank you so much for this recipe. Have you tried freezing any leftovers?

Maggie March 30, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Yay! Thanks Mom2AK for the note! Aren’t they delicious? I haven’t tried freezing them because we never need too :) Let me know if you do!

Laura Badiyan-Eyford March 31, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Tried them this evening and they were SO delicious! :)

Maggie April 4, 2011 at 5:32 am

Yay Laura! I’m so glad you tried them, and left a comment :)

Roxanne and Channa April 4, 2011 at 11:04 am

Are these the super yummy burgers we experienced at your house!!! I am going to attempt the quinoa brownies today!!! Miss you!! Loving the kale chips too!!

Maggie April 4, 2011 at 11:53 am

Hi Roxanne and Channa! You bet these are the super yummy burgers you got to taste. Can’t wait to see you this weekend. xo

Alta April 7, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Love this! I cooked up a bunch of adzuki beans this past weekend and froze some. I think these burgers will be just the thing! Although I can imagine making them semi-not-so-vegan and top with an egg for breakfast, alongside some greens. Yum!

Shu Han April 26, 2011 at 11:26 am

great idea! I’m chinese and i love red bean! but i’ve only mainly had it in sweet desserts and pastries, never savoury!

Maggie April 28, 2011 at 6:23 am

Thanks Shu Han! I’m the other way around, I’ve never tried them in sweet desserts! Now I’m going to have to investigate!

Gigi April 27, 2011 at 6:49 am

Maggie,

I’ve been thinking about this post since the first time I read it. I don’t have Adzuki beans on hand, but I do have some beans cooked waiting in the fridge. And I have leftover rice from the other night’s dinner. I think I’m going to try a version using what I’ve got on hand, and change the almond flour to a nut-free blend. In other words, I’m destroying a wonderful recipe (sorry!!), but I wanted you to know you’re inspiring me in the kitchen, as always! :)

Gigi

Maggie April 28, 2011 at 6:26 am

Hi Gigi – I’m the same way, a post/recipe sits in my mind for a while before I get to making it! I’m so glad you tried these and that they worked out. Here’s the link to your post so people can see the changes you made because I know you’re not the only nut-free girl! http://www.glutenfreegigi.com/1/post/2011/04/now-gigi-serves-dinner-wednesday-cheater-eats.html You definitely didn’t destroy it, that’s what we do – change recipes to make them work for us! xo

Michelle July 26, 2011 at 11:39 pm

What’s chipotle sauce? can you use a different sauce, or is this to form the salsa?

Keilah September 5, 2011 at 1:34 pm

I am so excited to find a non-soy veggie burger! Do they freeze well if I make a large batch?

Maggie September 6, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Hey Keilah – Are you sensitive to soy? Me too :( It does make veggie burgers tricky. I have another veggie burger recipe coming soon! I’ve never frozen them because we eat them too fast. I don’t know why they wouldn’t though. Please try it and let us know!

Hillary February 29, 2012 at 12:44 am

Just made these today!!! They are incredible!!!

Maggie February 29, 2012 at 7:22 am

Hi Hillary – I’m so glad you like them! Thanks for coming back to let us know!
Maggie

Kate April 18, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Thanks for the recipe! Made it tonight and got 12 3″ burgers out of it. I froze half for future meals. Not knowing what “chipotle sauce” was, I cooked my quinoa with dried ground chipotle powder and dried garlic, then used 2Tbsp tomato paste in the recipe. Even my 3-year-old enjoyed this.

Maggie April 21, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Hey Kate – Thanks for reporting back. I’m so glad everyone liked them! I’ve never seen dried chipotle powder, now I’m going to have to go on a mission! I get my chipotle sauce at a local store that sells hot sauces and other gourmet sauces.

Madeline May 24, 2012 at 10:40 am

If I use Buckwheat flour, do you think I’ll get the same results, or do I need the oil from the almonds to make them stick?
Thanks,
Madeline

Maggie May 25, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Hi Madeline – I’m not sure as I’ve only tested this recipe with almond flour. However, I do play with flours a lot and I would definitely give it a try! Let us know how it works out.

Eric May 26, 2012 at 6:36 pm

These Adzuki Burgers ARE MY NEW FAVOURITE MEAL !!!!! Roxanne made them for the first time tonight… follow the URL below to see a pic of the Rox’s first attempt. THANK YOU MAGGIE…these burgers are one of those recipes that makes Maggie’s culinary art so damn special :) luv eric & rox

Maggie May 28, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Hi Eric – Thank you so much for sharing! It’s a beautiful picture! xo

ingrid June 6, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Yay!!! Thanks so much! I have tried so many veggie burger recipes that turned out terrible….but these turned out great!!

Athomeattorney March 11, 2013 at 9:08 pm

I love all the veggies in these burgers. We have adzuki beans dried, now it is time to cook them up! Thanks for the great recipe.

Maggie March 14, 2013 at 6:46 am

Thanks! We love them too :)

Heather April 3, 2013 at 9:52 am

I can’t wait to make these! Just came across the recipe. Do you have the calorie/nutritional count for these burgers? Thanks!

Heather

Maggie April 4, 2013 at 11:44 am

Hi Heather – I don’t have a calorie count. They are nutrient dense though, and I’m sure you will love them.
Have a great day,
Maggie

JCB October 25, 2013 at 10:43 am

Is the 1 1/2 cup measurement of adzuki beans of the dry beans or the cooked beans?
Want to make this soon, it sounds so good.

Maggie October 25, 2013 at 11:39 am

Cooked beans JCB – enjoy! Let me know what you think.
Maggie