Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

by Maggie on February 1, 2011

I’ve been on a bit of a cookie kick lately. I think we’re all in search of the perfect cookie, right? And right now, this is the perfect cookie. It happens to be a gluten-free, dairy-free, and egg-free cookie.

I received two issues of  Cooks Illustrated for Christmas (thanks to my Mom). I’d never read it before and wanted to test it out before going for a full on subscription. Well, I am hooked.

I’ve already learned so much from just two issues! Each article is FULL of tidbits and techniques. I love it. It doesn’t matter if the article is called The Perfect Roast (I don’t eat meat); there are still one or two things for me to learn about cooking or baking in every article.

One of the issues I received had an article inside called “Secrets to Perfect Cookies”.  Naturally I got some great tips about cookies – I’m a self-taught, grandmother-taught, mother-taught baker who did NOT enjoy science class. So I have a lot to learn about the science behind baking.  And did you know that Cooks Illustrated has a Food Science Editor? So cool (I am such a foodie geek).

Here are some tips I used for my Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe:

1. Preheating your oven is important, don’t stick your cookies in early. It’s important to expose cookies to a sudden blast of heat.

2. Don’t just drop your cookies on the sheet. Roll them in your hands first so you have uniformly shaped cookies.

3. Store cookies with a piece of gluten-free bread to maintain their chewy texture.

I know, these tips are nothing new but it’s good to be reminded! I can be in such a rush sometimes that I don’t want to wait for my oven to heat up and I just throw the cookies on the sheet! Slow down, breathe, and enjoy what you’re doing each and every moment, right?  And if you want a chewy cookie, well now you know!

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

We’re about to get “the snow storm of the century” way up here in Canada. These cookies are the perfect accompaniment to a cup of tea while you watch the snow fall and stay bundled up inside with your cute ones.

1 ½ cups almond flour
1 ¼ cup certified gluten-free oats (I use Cream Hill Estates)
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp sea salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup maple syrup (or agave or honey)
1/3 cup coconut oil, liquefied
½ cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a baking tray.

Combine almond flour, oats (if you can’t tolerate oats, use quinoa flakes), baking powder, and sea salt in the bowl of your KitchenAid mixer (or a large bowl).

In a smaller bowl mix vanilla, maple syrup and coconut oil. Add to dry ingredients and combine. Stir in chocolate chips.
Scoop dough using a 1 tbsp measuring spoon. Roll into balls and place on baking tray. Press gently with hand.

Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool on tray for 1-2 minutes. Place on cooling rack and let cool completely. Store in an air-tight container (with a piece of gluten-free bread).

Have you ordered Amy’s cookbook yet?

And if you can’t get enough gluten-free cookies, you NEED this book!

This post is linked to:
Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free’s Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays.
Gluten-Free Wednesdays.

Deanna February 1, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Mmmm….we have a snow day here tomorrow and will be baking something. I could see it being these. :)

cathy day February 2, 2011 at 11:47 am

Have you had any success using other flours besides almond? Tree nut allergy but these sound so good.

Christine February 2, 2011 at 12:01 pm

I never knew that you could stick a piece of bread in with the cookies to help keep them chewy. Maybe because cookies generally don’t last that long around me. 😛

Andrea February 2, 2011 at 12:18 pm

OMG, these look and sound so good! I need to go and buy some almond flour…

Annie February 2, 2011 at 12:19 pm

I came on your blog to get your cracker recipe this morning and ended up making these puppies instead! I was having a friend and her son over and all four of us loved them. I made them nice and little so they would be the perfect size for the wee ones. I had to end up hiding the plate because Quincy wanted to gobble them all up. Thanks Maggie!

Alisa Cooks February 2, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Fabulous recipe Maggie, and thanks so much for passing on these tips. Very helpful :)

Heidi @ Adventures of a Gluten Free Mom February 2, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Yummy!!! Can’t wait to try these Maggie…thinking chocolate will need to be the first thing we add back in our diet once the elimination part is over, I can handle anything as long as I have chocolate!! 😀

It’s 1 degree here in the desert of New Mexico and we have about 6 inches of snow under a sheet of ice so we can’t even play in it! It’s still pretty to look at while sipping some hot tea, a great day for calm reflection (yeah, right…it’s a snow day from school and I’m in coffee withdrawal, LOL!).

Shirley @ gfe February 2, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Those certainly look perfect, Maggie! So easy, too. If I had some gf oats, I’d make these right away. Darn it … or am I saved? LOL Seems like these would go quickly! Thanks for sharing your tips, too. :-) We do sometimes forget the little things like those that can make all the difference. 😉

Alta February 2, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Yum. I made very similar cookies last night. Almond flour based chocolate chip cookies with maple syrup. I love cookies. I may or may not have had three. Whoops.

Lisa V February 2, 2011 at 2:44 pm

The recipe looks delish! I subscribe to Cooks Illustrated and also watch the two cooking shows from the organization, America’s Test Kitchen and Cook’s Country. My boyfriend and I swear by the tips and guidance they provide. They really do try things out and get the recipes to work. The steps might sound strange, but their explanations of why it works make sense and I haven’t made one of their recipes yet that didn’t work and end up tasting just perfect. My boyfriend has also made a lot of their recipes. We both also swear by the product reviews; they do a thorough analysis and when in doubt that’s where we look before making a purchase for the kitchen anymore. (And I don’t work for them either, but I am plannign on drafting a message asking them to do some work with gluten free!)

Kristin @ Peace, Love and Muesli February 2, 2011 at 7:30 pm

I can’t find gluten free oats so I’ve just been avoiding them, which isn’t a big hardship. I make a similar recipe but with grated carrots.

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free February 3, 2011 at 11:01 am

Maggie, I love Cooks Illustrated TOO (thanks to my Mom also)! I always get such good info from them and get so excited when I learn a new trick or two! These cookies look so simple and perfect! Will definitely be trying these soon!!

Linda February 3, 2011 at 7:48 pm

I just made oatmeal chocolate chip cookies the other day, and was working on the recipe post. I like that yours uses almond flour. I really need to give that a try.

Ricki February 4, 2011 at 12:47 pm

These look absolutely perfect, Maggie! I wonder if coconut nectar/yacon will do as a sub for maple syrup? I think I’m going to have to try. . .! :)

judie February 7, 2011 at 3:45 pm

I live in Ontario(Waterloo Region) and the almond flour is too coarse to use in recipes as is, and I don’t have a vitamix. Any suggestions on which almond flour to buy here?The one used by Elana of Elana’s Gluten Free Pantry doesn’t ship to Canada. Thanks for your help. These cookies look amazing.

Zoe February 8, 2011 at 5:13 pm

How did I not comment on these cookies? They look fantastic! Despite all my recent chocolate chip cookies adventures – not to mention endeavours – I’ve yet to make an oatmeal one, which I always love when I get to eat one. The almond flour is perfect for these, keeping the cookies moist and chewy along with the oats, right? :) I am so going to make these, Maggie!

April February 19, 2011 at 9:10 pm

We are a no almond, egg, dairy, refined sugar or gluten family. I tried making these cookies tonight with coconut flour, but the dough was so crumbly I couldn’t get it to stick together worth a hill of beans. I added more agave and some water in hopes it would stick. No such luck. We opted to smash the dough into a baking dish and try cookie bars instead. It still came out crumbly. I’m fairly new to this whole gluten-free baking. What could I do differently next time?

Sophie March 24, 2011 at 3:07 am

Hello maggie!

I have made a batch of these tasty chewy cookies & my husband & I loved them to bits! He also adores your recipes! MMMMM,…!

Jessica April 12, 2011 at 9:38 am

This recipe looks delish, but I’m wondering what I can use in place of coconut oil?

Dana March 11, 2013 at 3:19 pm

I tried this recipe for the first time yesterday and was pleasantly pleased! I don’t have almond flour (haven’t been able to get my hands on it just yet – I live in Ireland and it seems a bit harder to track down). Today they were a bit more dry, but still tasty.

Dana March 11, 2013 at 3:23 pm

oh dear, I just re-read your post and see the item about adding a slice of gluten free bread in with the cookies to keep them moist. I’ll make a mental note to do this next time! Thanks :-)

Dani @ lifeovereasy September 9, 2013 at 10:03 pm

totally addicted to cooks illustrated – i learn so much from them!

Eric November 13, 2013 at 2:40 pm

just made these amazing cookies with my kids. You gotta love cookie batter that’s safe to eat !! The kids loved sampling the batter…..and well….daddy ate most of the cookies. Warning…we accidentally mixed the chocolate chips with the flour (instead of waiting as a the directions indicate) which caused the choc chips to NOT stick in the batter balls we made…they kept falling out…I’m assuming because they were coated in flour. YOU MUST TRY THESE COOKIES !

Ayela February 12, 2014 at 4:59 pm

I’ve been baking with almond flour for awhile now. For the life of me, I could not get these things to stay in a ball – they just crumbled. I finally add a touch of beaten egg and that did the trick. Maybe it’s because I used a little less agave and added a couple of drops of stevia? Anyhow, they came out great after I made that correction. I don’t bake with maple syrup or honey.

Mary March 20, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Hello Maggie,
I just made the Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies, what is the texture of the cookie dough suppose to be? My dough was very crumbly, I was not able to make the dough into balls they just fell apart. The cookies taste good just very crumbly not chewy at all.
I followed the recipe, I used Honeyville’s Almond Flour.

Lorraine April 6, 2014 at 2:43 pm

My son is allergic to nuts. Any idea if I could sub the almond flor with whole grain oat flour? Thanks.

Ashley April 10, 2014 at 7:02 pm

Great recipe, Maggie. I have to go on an elimination diet for three months that is wheat, dairy, egg and sugar free, so I’ve started researching recipes that will hold mine (and my supportive husband’s) sweet tooth and that contain agave. Since conventional chocolate is also off the list (I have found very limited chocolate that contains agave instead of sugar), is the chocolate necessary in this recipe? Can I sub in raisins instead?

Leslie October 24, 2015 at 9:32 am

This is one of my FAVORITE cookie recipes and I make them ALL THE TIME!!! Thank you!!!