Fabulous Find – Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free

by Maggie on February 27, 2011

Adopt A Gluten-Free Blogger

I love participating in Book of Yum’s Adopt a Gluten-Free Blogger monthly roundups. It’s such a great way to try out other blogger’s recipes. Otherwise, us bloggers are too busy working on our own recipes to try out another blogger’s recipes. Sometimes I think about hanging up my blogging hat just so I can try all of the amazing gluten-free recipes that are floating around the blog-o-sphere.

One of my earliest blogging heroes was Amy from Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free. I have been participating in her Slightly Indulgent Tuesday roundups for over a year. From the beginning, Amy was so kind, generous, and supportive. She always makes me feel important.

Amy has been such a good influence on me. I never ever thought I could try living refined sugar-free. However, slowly but surely, Amy rubbed off on me and I love living without refined sugar. I feel so much better and my body is much healthier.

Naturally the changes I make to my diet influence the way my kids eat. I love serving Callum and Liv cookies and cupcakes free of white and refined sugars. I really have Amy to thank for all of this, because before Amy, I didn’t even imagine life sugar-free.

So how does one bake without sugar? Amy uses all kinds of unrefined sugars to sweeten her cooking and her baking. It was Amy who first introduced me to coconut sugar. She also uses dates, stevia, and fruit to sweeten her baking.

I could gush and gush about Amy, but I’ll keep this short so I can focus on the amazing recipes I tried from her website. Soon I’ll tell you all about her new cookbook!

The Recipes

The first recipe I ever made from Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free was Amy’s Chewy Chocolate Vegan Date Brownies . They were my first attempt at sugar-free baking (last summer) and they were the perfect brownie (I like mine dense and chewy). As you can see from the picture, I iced mine with some melted chocolate and coconut oil, and topped them with some raspberries. They didn’t last long around here.

Another one of the recipes I tried was Amy’s Vegan Health Bar Cookies (sorry about the way-too-close-up shot). These made for a great breakfast (Pete liked to smear his with almond butter), or an even better afternoon snack. I used dates instead of raisins so this made them even sweeter (they’re sweetened with fruit juice).

I also made Amy’s Winter Minestrone Soup when we had a little birthday party for Pete earlier this month. It was a big hit and the recipe makes lots of soup so we were enjoying it for a couple of days.  It’s full of veggies and super easy to adapt based on what you have in your fridge.

Finally, I made Amy’s gluten-free bread, aptly called The Perfect Bread. Like all of Amy’s recipes, it was super easy to follow and I knew what to expect along the way. Don’t be afraid to try baking gluten-free bread! As most of you know, my baking is egg-free so instead of eggs I used ground chia and a little bit of baking soda. The results were fantastic. It makes a big and beautifully soft loaf of bread. We loved it. It was gone in two days.

Want to try one of Amy’s many recipes? She’s got a fantastic recipe index that I found easy to use.

Lastly, Amy just launched her first cookbook Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free:180 Easy and Delicious Recipes You Can Make in 20 Minutes or Less. Buy it today on Amazon. I’m still waiting patiently for my copy. Amazon Canada is taking a little longer to deliver this much-anticipated cookbook!

This month’s Adopt a Gluten-Free Blogger roundup is being hosted by the lovely Lexie from Lexie’s Kitchen. Look for the roundup around the 11th of March, 2011.
Thanks for hosting Lexie.

Please come and join me on She Let Them Eat Cake’s new Facebook page.

Alta February 27, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Great roundup! Love it.

Alta February 27, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Okay so I didn’t mean to hit enter yet. I love Amy’s recipes. She and I live close by (okay, so really like 15-20 miles, but whatever) and she’s wonderful – every bit as genuine, with a big heart and an even bigger knack for lovely baking as she appears on her blog. I haven’t tried her bread yet – definitely on my list!

Maggie February 27, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Hey Alta – You’re another good thing I learned about from Amy! I wish I could come to your get-togethers!

Kristin @ Peace, Love and Muesli February 27, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I need to visit Amy, I’m in desperate need of perfect bread. And less sugar wouldn’t hurt.

Maggie February 27, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Kristin – This bread is so worth it. Do it! You will really love it. It’s easy to follow and your whole fam will love it. Don’t even tell them that it’s gluten-free. They won’t know!

Ricki February 27, 2011 at 3:01 pm

What a lovely review of Amy & her site! Is there anyone who isn’t familiar with Amy?? :D Those brownies look to-die for, and I’ve had my eye on those cookies, too. Thanks for this look into Amy’s recipes and her new book (I’m waiting for mine, too). :)

Maggie February 27, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Thanks Ricki! The brownies are deeelish. I made them in the summer, before I was refined sugar-free and they were still good. I really need to make them again now that I’m not eating refined sugars. I’ve really noticed a change in my sweet tooth and I love it!

Noreen February 27, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Been following Amy at simply sugar and gluten free for as long as I have been following you…and have to say I love both of your Blogs…it has inspired me to write a cookbook! Trying to decide if an E-book is the way to go or good ol’ fashioned hard copy? Would love feedback!

Thanks for the inspirations, Ladies! xo Noreen in cold snowy Alberta!

Maggie February 28, 2011 at 7:08 am

Hi Noreen – Thank you so much! I’m excited for you and your cookbook! I prefer ol’ fashioned hard copy but it’s entirely up to you! I do like the idea of being able to read an ebook online, or print it off and have it in my hands. I hope Spring-like weather finds you soon!

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free February 27, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Maggie, what a great adoption of Amy!! I have been wanting to try her bread. Maybe this will inspire me to make it this week!! Loved your post~!

Maggie February 28, 2011 at 7:09 am

Hi Kim – Thank you. It’s pretty easy to write about Amy! I think your boys would love the bread, and it really is quite simple. I made a double batch of her flour mix ahead of time so I could make two loaves. The second loaf is rising in a warm place right now! Can’t wait!

Shirley @ gfe February 27, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Wow, Maggie, I had no idea that it was Amy who inspired you to eat refined sugar free … that’s quite a testament and inspiring to me as one who wants to do that completely! :-) Great adoption, too, with all the recipes you made. And, successful gluten-free, refined sugar-free, egg-free bread? That is awesome. Can’t wait to see Amy’s book!

Maggie February 28, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Hi Shirley – Yep, Amy slowly rubbed off on me. If I am out I usually don’t worry too much about having refined sugars, it’s hard enough as a gluten-free, dairy-free, vegetarian! I wish I had time to make more of Amy’s recipes. I can’t wait to play with her cookbook when it arrives!

Amy @ Simply Sugar & Gluten Free February 27, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Maggie,

You are one of the bright spots in my life today…I love when we can connect and so enjoy seeing all your recipes and the ingenuous food you come up with. I can’t wait to see how you veganized the bread recipe. :)

Thank you for your sweet and heart-felt post. I am so grateful to have you as a friend.

Much love,
Amy

Maggie February 28, 2011 at 8:25 pm

You are so welcome Amy. xo

Christine February 28, 2011 at 4:49 am

what a lovely piece in praise of Amy. I like her site too. It’s interesting that you veganised her bread, I must try it as the bought loaves are not the best in the world, and they’re so expensive over here, don’t know about the USA!
Cheers
Christine x

Maggie February 28, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Hi Christine – The bread here is pretty expensive too, and it’s usually frozen. It’s really nice to make your own bread because then you can enjoy a lovely sandwich on fresh, soft bread! Imagine!

Robin February 28, 2011 at 11:32 am

Hi,

Just wondering if you could share how much chia seed and baking powder you used to replace the eggs in the perfect bread? I’m new to all of this and don’t have a grasp on replacing eggs at all yet.

Thanks so much!!!

Maggie March 1, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Hey Robin. Yes, for sure I will. I’m going to share it in a blog post too, but here’s what I used. 3 tbsp ground chia in 3/4 cup water and 1/2 tsp baking soda. Let me know how it turns out!

mom February 28, 2011 at 11:57 am

Enjoyed my piece of Amy’s gluten-free bread this morning! Thanks to you Maggie!!!! Could I place an order for 2 loaves each week? :)

Maggie March 1, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Sure Mom :) Though I don’t know if I can keep up with Dad’s peanut butter and jam consumption!

Niv February 28, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Hi Maggie

I have been wantig to make this bread but was not sure on what would be a good egg substitute. Your bread looks perfect. Can you please share the exact proportion of chia and baking soda.

Thanks
Niv

Maggie March 1, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Hi Niv – Here’s what I did. Subbed 3 tbsp of chia mixed with 3/4 cup of water. Added 1/2 tsp of baking soda to the dry ingredients. I’ll write a post about it too! Let me know how it goes!

Gigi March 3, 2011 at 7:55 am

Love to read your posts, Maggie. :)

Wish I’d gotten in on the Adoption for this time, but this one slipped right by me!

I just checked out Amy’s brownies – YUM! and your pic…gorgeous!!!

I wish I had more time to spend on blogs like yours.

Hugs,
Gigi

Maggie March 3, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Ahhh, thanks Gigi. I feel the same way about your blog, seriously. I hope you like Amy’s brownies. xo

Fabiola March 6, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Hi, I tried to open Amy’s blog simplysugarandglutenfree.com but I can`t!!
Is it just me or happened to someone else? I would love to have the browniè’s recipe.
Thanks!!!

Maggie March 6, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Hey Fabiloa – I just tried through her site and through my link, both worked. Try linking through my blog maybe. Hope you get to make those brownies :)

Fabiola March 7, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Thank you!!! Love your blog!

Maggie March 8, 2011 at 7:24 am

Thanks Fabiola! Glad you love it.

Jeanette March 10, 2011 at 6:51 am

Now that I have a child on a gluten-free diet, I’ve been looking for some good recipes, and Amy’s site is one that I have come across so many times. Thanks for trying out her recipes and sharing them. I’m going to try making the bread, it looks wonderful, so much better than store-bought.

Maggie March 10, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Hi Jeanette – You are welcome! I love Amy and her recipes. I have two children on a gluten-free diet so I know how important it is to have lots of recipes at your disposal! Let me know if there’s anything you’re looking for, perhaps I can help. Hope you enjoy the bread.