I had you at chocolate, right?
I am a big fan of chocolate. I love the way it melts in my mouth, the way it makes me buzz just a little bit, and the way it makes all of my troubles disappear at the end of a long day.
Pete loves chocolate too; his parents are British so he was raised on the stuff. But what he loves more than chocolate is chocolate and peanut butter. Together.
Who doesn’t really?
So how about chocolate and peanut butter in a super healthy, naturally sweetened power bar? Perfect for snacking. Perfect for road trips. Perfect for just about anytime of day.
Sounds perfect, right?
These naturally gluten-free, dairy-free and egg-free Chocolate Peanut Power Bars were inspired by Lara Bars. Have you tried them yet? I love to grab some when we’re traveling and on the go. They’re so simple. Most Lara Bars have only 3 or 4 ingredients.
One of my favourite ingredients in Lara Bars is the dates. I have grown to love dates. In fact, I think I am addicted. They’re the perfect treat. So sweet, so satisfying, and so versatile. You can use them to sweeten salad dressings, smoothies, brownies, granola, and so much more!
Naturally, I had to have a go at my own version of a Lara Bar. And once I figured out our favourite combo, I knew I had to share it with you.
Chocolate Peanut Power Bars
It was really hard to put these in the fridge to chill. I wanted to eat them all in one sitting!
1 cup raw almonds or walnuts
1 heaping cup peanut butter (any nut butter would work)
12 medjool dates (pitted and soaked in boiling water for 5 minutes)
a couple of pinches of sea salt
1/4 cup raw cacao powder
1. Lightly grease an 8×8 inch pan with coconut oil (or whatever oil you prefer).
2. Using a food processor or a high-speed blender, process nuts until you reach desired consistency (almonds are my favourite nut, I like mine a little bit chunky).
3. Add nut butter, dates (make sure you remove the pits), sea salt, and raw cacao. Process into a thick paste, you will need to stop your machine a couple of times to wipe down the sides and move the mixture around. It’s very thick and will need your help a little bit.
4. Press firmly into prepared pan.
5. Cover and place in fridge to cool.
6. Cut into desired shapes and store in the refrigerator for 5-7 days.
Print This Post