Chocolate Chunk Pecan Squares

by Maggie on December 29, 2010

I think New Years Eve is a little overrated.

I’ve never really been into it.  Even when I was a young, carefree, wild, and single girl I didn’t really enjoy it more than any of the other party nights in my year!  Do I sound like a total party girl?  You know it!

A great New Years Eve these days – I’ve got two little kids who don’t care if I’ve been up late carousing, they still get up bright and early – includes hanging out with people I love and it includes eating a great meal.  And a great meal has to end with a decadent dessert.

I can’t tell you how excited I am about these babies (the squares, not my early rising children).  They are so darn good.  So good, you’ll be eating them and you might even let out a little moan (just like I did when I tested the first one).

I’ve wanted to do the pecan tart thing for a while now.  I didn’t know it was possible to make an egg-free pecan-style tart until I saw (and made) Ricki’s butter tarts.  So I must dedicate these delightful pecan squares to Ricki.  I learned a lot from Ricki in 2010, but the most important thing I learned from her is anything is possible.  A few dietary restrictions shouldn’t stop you from eating incredible food.

Speaking of incredible, here are your egg-free, gluten-free, and dairy-free Chocolate Chunk Pecan Squares.  Yes, chocolate.  Serve these to your guests on New Years Eve and watch them swoon.

Chocolate Chunk Pecan Squares

BASE
1 cup sorghum flour
¼ cup arrowroot flour
¼ cup maple syrup
½ cup coconut oil (room temperature)

TOPPING
½ cup maple syrup
½ cup brown rice syrup
3 tbsp coconut sugar
2 tbsp arrowroot flour
2 tbsp ground chia
3 tbsp coconut oil, liquefied
1 cup chopped pecans
½ tsp vanilla
¼ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp baking powder
½ cup chopped dark chocolate

Lightly oil an 8×8 inch pan. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Place flour, starch, maple syrup, and coconut oil in food processor.  Pulse until combined.  Press into prepared 8×8 pan.  Bake at 450 degrees for 5-7 minutes.

Combine maple syrup and brown rice syrup with coconut sugar in a small saucepan.  Stir over low heat until coconut sugar is dissolved.  Simmer over medium heat for 3 minutes and set aside to cool.

When sugar mixture has cooled, pour into a large bowl.  Add arrowroot and stir to combine.    Add chia and mix well.  Beat in coconut oil, pecans, vanilla, and salt.  Stir in baking powder and pour into prepared pan.  Sprinkle with chocolate chunks and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.  They will still be jiggly when you pull them out of the oven.  Let cool for 20 minutes and then place in the fridge until set.  They’ll still be a little gooey.  If you’re not after gooey, cook a little longer.

*I also need to send some love to Hallie from Daily Bites.  Haillie posted a recipe for a Maple Pecan Tart which totally got me off my Christmas cookie rear end and playing with tarts.  Thanks Hallie!

You can find this and many more slightly indulgent recipes at Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free’s Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays.
This post is also linked to Gluten-Free Wednesdays.

HAVE A HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I’ll be back in 2011

Deanna December 29, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Those look incredibly rich. Wowsers.

Maggie December 29, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Deanna – Oh my are they rich. Worth every bite.

Hallie @ Daily Bites December 29, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Chocolate and pecans are a match made in heaven, aren’t they? Glad to hear that my pecan tart gave you some inspiration! :)

Maggie December 29, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Hi Hallie – They are definitely a match made in heaven. My Mom loves pecan tart and she LOVED the looks of yours so I had to come up with something :)

Christine December 29, 2010 at 2:15 pm

These look delicious! The last pictures makes me want to eat them right out of my screen. Too bad that can’t happen! haha.

Have a Happy New Year!

Maggie December 29, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Christine – One day I think we’ll be able to reach through the screen. Google’s probably working on it. Hope you have a happy new year too!

Ricki December 29, 2010 at 2:35 pm

OMG, Maggie, I am making these for my honey! He loves a good pecan pie and anything with chocolate. . . they sound fantastic! And thank you so much for your kind comments. I learned a lot from you, too this year–how to make a great pie crust, for instance! :D I am so looking forward to meeting in person in 2011. Hope you have a fabulous New Year, too! xo

Maggie December 29, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Hey Ricki! Let me know what he thinks! He’s a man after my own heart. Can’t wait to meet you soon too!

Kristin @ Peace, Love and Muesli December 29, 2010 at 3:14 pm

So yummy Maggie. I will give these a try soon. Currently I am broken up with chocolate. It won’t last long.
I agree about New Years. Good food and friends/ family and get to bed.

Maggie December 29, 2010 at 7:29 pm

Thanks Kristin! I hope you like them, who am I kidding? I know you’ll like them. You could use an egg for the 2 tbsp of chia. So glad to hear your break with chocolate is only temporary. Kind of like Ross and Rachel, right?

Brittany @ Real Sustenance December 29, 2010 at 6:03 pm

Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh. Mouth is watering.
Bookmarked.
Thank You for this recipe!! :)
Brittany

Maggie December 29, 2010 at 7:28 pm

Brittany – I feel the same way. In fact, I think that’s exactly what I said when I tasted them…oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh! You’re welcome :)

Lindsey December 29, 2010 at 8:35 pm

I’m totally after gooey…20 minutes it is! Can’t wait to try these. You rock, my friend.

Maggie December 30, 2010 at 10:12 am

You’re my kind of girl Linds. Team Gooey all the way! xo

Miz Helen December 30, 2010 at 11:39 am

Wishing you and your family a very Happy New Year!

Les December 30, 2010 at 2:50 pm

OH My Goodness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are yiu sure these are not a sin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Teenie Foodie January 1, 2011 at 5:17 am

Oh my these look rather decadent! maybe a little too sweet/gooey for my liking but they do look good… chocolate and pecans is the best combination! Great post, happy new year!

Teenie Foodie

Alta January 1, 2011 at 12:15 pm

These look so great! Happy New Year!

Beth January 2, 2011 at 11:41 pm

Totally agree with you about NYE — I have always thought it was overrated as well. Last year my girlfriend and I ditched the party we planned on going to and just ordered take-out and snuggled up to some nice, corny chick flicks. It was one of the best NYE nights I had in awhile! As for these bars — whoah!! I am drooling over my keyboard. Seriously, these look insanely good!

Maggie January 4, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Thanks Beth! I hope this NYE was just as relaxing. Ours was super low-key and I loved it – and it definitely included a few of these squares!

Amy @ Simply Sugar & Gluten Free January 3, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Totally yum, Maggie!! Your recipe sounds great. Love that you used brown rice syrup – it works so well with the ingredients you’re using. Hope you had a fabulous New Year!! (I think it’s over-rated, too.)

Much love,
Amy

Maggie January 4, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Amy I love brown rice syrup – it was the perfect addition! I would love to use it more, I just need to figure out the best place(s) for it. Happy 2011 Amy – such a big one for you xo

Megan January 3, 2011 at 11:18 pm

These look delicious! I was thinking about making something similar before Christmas, but this may just do the trick!!

Maggie January 4, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Thanks Megan, you must try them. I LOVED every single bite.

Gluten Free Diva January 4, 2011 at 12:16 pm

This is fabulous! I love your choice of sweeteners. I love how “free” these are. Can’t wait to try them!

Maggie January 4, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Thanks Ellen. It’s fun to take the free as possible challenge, isn’t it?

Linda January 4, 2011 at 1:31 pm

These look delicious, and I love that they are dairy free. I’m going to count this as a cookie recipe and highlight it in this week’s Gluten-Free Wednesday post.

Maggie January 4, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Hi Linda – Thank you! I love being featured on your Gluten-Free Wednesday posts :)

naomi devlin January 14, 2011 at 7:33 am

these look so incredible! Like the best millionaires shortbread ever!

I’ve had someone drop out of hosting April’s Go Ahead Honey it’s Gluten Free and I was wondering if you would like to step in? You can pick your own theme – just make it aprilish.

Let me know if you would like to take it in the next couple of days. x x x

Maggie January 14, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Thanks Naomi – These were disgustingly good! I can’t wait to host April’s Go Ahead Honey!