Giving the gift of gluten-free

by Maggie on November 19, 2010

I had a brainwave a couple of months ago (I know, it’s shocking).

I thought it would be cool to make mixes for some of my recipes and give them away or sell them (etsy here I come!).

When I saw that Tasty Eats at Home was hosting Gifts of Good Taste for this week’s Gluten-Free Holiday , I knew this would be the perfect opportunity to share my brainwave with you!

Do you know someone who wants to try gluten-free baking? Or perhaps you know someone who is newly diagnosed. Maybe one of your friends still thinks gluten-free baking can’t possibly taste yummy, let alone be super easy.

Now’s your chance to knock their oven mitts off!

I made a mix for a shower gift a few months ago. I knew that my friend read my blog (thanks Lauren). My Mom and I decided to get her a baking-themed present, so we thought the mix would go perfectly with the cooling racks, spatulas and measuring cups.

The first recipe I chose for Gifts of Good Taste was my cupcake recipe, because who doesn’t love cupcakes? All you need to do is prepare the dry ingredients in a nice container, print off an instruction card, and wrap a cute ribbon around it.

I’ve also packaged up a nice container with some of my favourite gluten-free mix. This way your friend can convert any of their own recipes cup for cup using your gluten-free flour mix!

I think it would be a fun gift for a budding chef or baker. My niece is 7 and she’ll love something like this. I’m going buy her a baking-themed present (some of her own baking tools, an apron, a cookbook and one of my mixes). Her Mom likes to bake too so it will be a great opportunity for them to have some fun in the kitchen. And it will educate her a little about gluten-free baking.

If you’re not sure your friends and family are ready for baking gluten-free just yet, why not package them up some of your own gluten-free baking?

I’ve packaged up some gluten-free crackers and some gluten-free granola, both make great hostess gifts, and your host doesn’t even have to be gluten-free to enjoy gluten-free goodness.

The possibilities are endless when it comes to sharing gluten-free goodies!

What will you package up to give the gift of gluten-free this holiday season?

My friend Jeanine from the blog The Baking Beauties created a FREE Holiday E-Book full of delicious holiday-inspired recipes from bloggers across the blogosphere. Make sure you head over to The Baking Beauties to get your free copy. I contributed my gluten-free and vegan caramel recipe, because nothing says holidays better than chocolate caramels!

You can find this and many more slightly indulgent recipes at Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free’s Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays.

Jeanine November 19, 2010 at 12:15 pm

First off, thanks for mentioning the ebook. :) I appreciate it!
Secondly…LOVE the idea of the premixed goodies. That would be perfect for those that feel like fish out of water when it comes to GF baking. Any mixes you can get in the store will not be nearly as good as this.
And, I definitely want to try your flour blend. I’ve always used a rice based blend, but yours actually has GOOD stuff in it! :) And I even saw the quinoa flour at Bulk Barn the other day.
Thanks for the awesome ideas!

Maggie November 19, 2010 at 7:02 pm

You’re so welcome Jeanine! Thanks for stopping by to check it out! I love my flour blend (if I do say so myself). You can easily use millet, quinoa, rice, sorghum. It’s so easy to play with!

Kristin @ Peace, Love and Muesli November 19, 2010 at 1:24 pm

That is a great idea. I might do that for my sisters.

Maggie November 19, 2010 at 7:02 pm

Thanks Kristin – I hope they like it!

Marie-Claude Hamel November 19, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Great idea Maggie! I will prepare cute little packages for my family when I go see them during the Christmas Holidays. Thanks!

Maggie November 20, 2010 at 10:15 am

You’re welcome Clauder! It’s nice to see you on here :)

Heidi @adventuresofaglutenfreemom November 19, 2010 at 11:33 pm

I love this Maggie!! What a great gift from the heart, and that presentation is PERFECT!

Heidi

Maggie November 20, 2010 at 10:15 am

Thanks Heidi! Presentation is perfect because it’s easy!

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free November 19, 2010 at 11:58 pm

Maggie, that is such a wonderful wonderful idea. Especially great for all of the people in my life who are starting to go gluten-free as well and just starting out. This would totally take the stress off of them. I love these ideas, and your pics look awesome.
And p.s. I have that same polka dot ribbon that you do. You will see it in one of my posts. ;0)

Maggie November 21, 2010 at 8:43 am

Thanks Kim! I can’t wait to see how you use the ribbon! You know what they say, great minds think alike :)

Tia November 20, 2010 at 12:04 am

That is such a great idea, Maggie. I have always made things for people for Christmas gifts, such as cookies, fudge. When I went gluten-free, so did the gifts. But I really like the idea of mixes for more and more people I know that are going gluten-free. Especially since I am actually coming up with some recipes of my own. Thank you.

xoxo,
Tia

Maggie November 21, 2010 at 8:44 am

Hey Tia! Thanks, I’m glad you like my idea!

nicola @ gfreemom November 20, 2010 at 12:15 am

I’d love any one of those gifts. Great ideas!

Maggie November 21, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Thanks Nicola! I’ll fedex you a few, sound good?

Alta November 20, 2010 at 10:12 pm

These are SO great. I thought about doing something like this myself, but yours look so great, I could just share yours with family that eats gluten-free! Thanks for linking up to GF Holiday.

Maggie November 21, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Hey Alta – Thanks! I was super excited about linking up the GF Holiday this week!

Lori November 21, 2010 at 9:18 am

Great gift idea! Especially since everyone (ok, well SOME) people are looking for healthier alternatives for baking… and eating. I love this. So simple and cute. Love the labels you created, too.

Maggie November 21, 2010 at 9:00 pm

Hi Lori – It does seem like everyone is looking for healthier alternatives, doesn’t it? At least they SHOULD be! My sister is the genius behind the labels!

Erin Elberson Lyon November 24, 2010 at 11:52 am

Maggie,
I’m so glad you posted this. I have been really thinking hard about making more homemade gifts this year, but you just inspired me to pull the trigger and just do it. I think it’s perfect for people who you’re just not sure what to get them. For me, I see my boxing coach and nail salon getting granola gifts for sure :)
Time to get some mason jars and ribbon!

Maggie November 24, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Hey Erin – I’m so glad I helped to convince you :) I wish I was on your gift list! Have fun.

Ricki December 5, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Yes, THIS is how far behind I am in my Google Reader! But what a fabulous idea. I love it! Now I just need to find a cute little card like yours to attach to my mixes. ;)

Maggie December 6, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Thanks Ricki – I know someone who can whip you up a cute little card!