Deliciously Dark Pan Gravy

by Maggie on November 5, 2010

Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free Pan Gravy

I don’t know about you, but there has to be gravy on my holiday table.  I think it’s just years and years of conditioning.

These days though, Pete and I don’t smother our turkey in traditional gravy.  Instead we drizzle our stuffed squash in deliciously healthier gluten-free and dairy-free gravy.

In the past we’ve made this gravy. More recently we’ve been making this gravy, but it’s always nice to have a few gravy recipes in your repertoire.

Back in July, Pete and I went away for the weekend to celebrate our anniversary.  We went to an amazing vegan restaurant and had an incredible meal.  I felt a little like Meg Ryan in When Harry Met Sally.  I was ooohing and ahhing the entire meal.  I’m not kidding.

While chatting with the server, she told us about a pan gravy she makes every holiday and it always knocks the socks off everyone.

This is our version of her gravy.  It is oh-so good.  And those of you who are adventurous enough to try it will thank me.

Did I mention that this pan gravy makes a weekly appearance on our table?  It’s that easy.  So it’s not just for holidays, it’s for those busy weekdays too.  Seriously.

And it’s just in time for the Gluten-Free Holiday party that began yesterday at Diet, Dessert, and Dogs.

Deliciously Dark Pan Gravy

½  cup chick pea flour

1 tsp garlic powder

3/4 cup grapeseed oil/coconut oil/olive oil (we’ve used all 3 successfully)

1/3 cup wheat-free tamari

1/2 – 1 cup filtered water, plus more as required

1/2 cup nutritional yeast

Freshly ground pepper to taste

Brown chickpea flour in a large, dry pan (we use a cast iron frying pan) for 3 minutes on low-medium, stir it constantly so it doesn’t burn.

Add garlic powder and oil and stir to combine for 4 minutes.  Add tamari and ½ cup of the water and stir.  The mixture will start to thicken. Stir in nutritional yeast.  Stir over medium heat and taste.  Add freshly ground pepper to taste.

Stir and keep the heat low, the gravy could easily burn.  Keep additional water on hand to add if the gravy is thicker than you like.  Let simmer over low heat for approximately 8 minutes.  Stir (and keep a close eye) occasionally so it doesn’t stick to the pan.  Add water as needed.

Serves 2-4 people. Oh it’s so good.  It’s a rich-tasting gravy so you won’t use as much, which makes it even healthier.

This post is linked up to Gluten-Free Holiday celebrations.  Visit Diet, Dessert and Dogs by next Wednesday, November 10th, 2010 and join in the awesome giveaway that’s going on!

This post is linked to Amy’s Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays this week. And a special thanks to Amy for helping me perfect this recipe!

This post is also linked to Gluten-Free Wednesdays at The Gluten-Free Homemaker

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free November 5, 2010 at 10:19 am

Maggie, that is an absolutely fascinating combination of flavors for a gravy. I am so going to have to give that a try. Do you put it on anything in particular? The gravy that I always make involves a splash of Apple brandy and a little apple cider with my pan drippings. Also a nice rich flavor with a hint of sweetness. But this one here has me totally intrigued.

Maggie November 6, 2010 at 6:58 am

Hey Kim – We always put it on our roasted, stuffed squash. It’s perfect. It is a rich gravy so you don’t need as much as usual. It goes nicely with garlic mashed potatoes too of course! Do let me know what you think when you try it!

Iris November 5, 2010 at 10:25 am

Maggie, this sounds amazing! I love that it’s so easy to make…I love gravy, but making it from scratch takes way too much effort to do often. This sounds like a great alternative!

Maggie November 6, 2010 at 6:59 am

Hi Iris – It is amazing! Your vegan roomie would love it :)

Heidi @adventuresofaglutenfreemom November 5, 2010 at 11:47 am

Maggie, I am very much intrigued at this combination of flavors too and will definitely have to try it (not that I will actually be able to taste it but I suppose my 3 guys would appreciate a tasty new GF/DF gravy!). This sounds like it would go really well over a grilled portobello mushroom…

Hugs!
Heidi

Maggie November 6, 2010 at 6:59 am

Oh Heidi I hope you get your taste back soon! Imagine how glorious it will be! Over a grilled portabello mushroom is a great idea! I’ll have to give it a try myself!

Ricki November 5, 2010 at 7:24 pm

All the gravy variations sound so good–I may just have to make them all! And I’d love to know the vegan restaurant you went to–is it driving distance in the GTA?? (she asks, hopefully. . . ) ;)

Maggie November 6, 2010 at 7:00 am

Thanks Ricki! Yes, the restaurant is downtown! Fressen, have you been there? I think we should meet there one day for an amazing gf and vegan meal!

Alta November 7, 2010 at 8:25 am

Sounds great! I wonder if you could sub another flour for the chickpea flour?

Maggie November 7, 2010 at 11:13 am

Hey Alta – I’m not sure if another flour would work, but I don’t see why not. Maybe brown rice flour? We use it in another gravy recipe. Let me know if you try it!

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats November 8, 2010 at 5:50 am
Maggie November 9, 2010 at 6:15 am

Thanks so much Valerie! I’m totally honored!

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats November 8, 2010 at 6:00 am

Oops, I hit submit too fast. I wanted to make more recipes but being on vacation kind of got in the way of that. Still, I made two awesome recipes from your blog and had tons of fun reading your archives :) I was in Switzerland near Morges, which is about 30-40 minutes from Geneva. It is so no fun being dairy-free in Switzerland, and yes, I remember the milk there tasting so good (I grew up drinking quite a bit of it!).

I answered some of your questions from comments in my post, but I am going to finally catch up and properly respond to your comments/ I love your comments, and I am so sorry that I took so long to respond to some:

I would love to meet you if you make it to Washington. There are definitely some great GF eats here. I know you are in Canada, but where exactly?

Incidentally, my husband’s name is also Pete and he was very pleased when you said his meals always look great :)

Regarding food rotation and AI disease – some naturopathic wisdom says that AI disease means you are more likely to develop food allergies, so rotating foods is desirable. Others don’t. The ND I initially went to thought food rotating was useless, the one I go to now (I found a GP who has an ND as part of his practice so it is easier) swears by it.

If you find overnight oats too soggy, extra chia seeds make it more pudding-y, as does coconut milk (or coconut milk beverage – do you have So Delicious in Canada?).

And finally, oh.my.gravy. Your latest recipe looks amazing.

Shirley @ gfe November 10, 2010 at 8:53 am

I’m not one for gravy usually, Maggie, but I think I’d really like this one! Like everyone else has said, the ingredients are very intriguing. A rich “sauce” that’s easy and gf/df, yes, please! Thanks! :-)

Hugs,

Maggie November 10, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Hi Shirley – This gravy is so rich and delicious. It’s nice too because you don’t need to soak your food in it! Let me know if you try it!

Linda November 11, 2010 at 9:55 pm

This sounds really tasty. Gravy is not something I think about making on a weekly basis, but it’s a great idea, especially with something like this.

Maggie November 12, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Thanks Linda. It is quite easy to make, it just requires about 10 minutes of constant attention.

Beth November 14, 2010 at 9:19 am

Hi Maggie — This DOES look delicious. Can’t wait to try it!!

Maggie November 15, 2010 at 4:44 am

Hi Beth – Thanks! Let me know how you like it!