A Fabulous Find: The Spunky Coconut

by Maggie on November 9, 2010

I’m sure most of you know Kelly from The Spunky Coconut.

I thought it would be fun to adopt Kelly for this month’s Adopt a Gluten-Free Blogger, hosted by Sea from the Book of Yum. I knew it would be the perfect opportunity to try out some of Kelly’s other recipes (we’ve made her cashew cream cheese many times) from her amazing blog The Spunky Coconut.

Kelly’s a published cookbook author, regular blogger, an artist, and most importantly a dedicated Mom! Everything she does is for her cute little girls. Kelly is very open and honest about her life; it’s easy to feel like you know her even if you’ve never met her!

Kelly dreams of owning a gluten-free bed and breakfast one day, and I’m quite sure her dream will come true. Can you imagine? My family and I would DEFINITELY be there. I think Kelly would be a fantastic host and I know my family would eat better than ever!

So what did I make?

I first tried Kelly’s cashew sour cream or cream cheese recipe months ago. It was my first nut-soaking experience, I didn’t even know it was possible to replace cheese with nut cheese!

We’ve used Kelly’s recipe MANY times since then. We like to make it when we have bean burritos and when I make sweet potatoes.

I’ve also adapted Kelly’s cashew cream cheese recipe to make a sweet cashew cream for baking and frosting.

I’ve been sick lately but I’m finally feeling better so I thought I could treat us to some brownies. Kelly’s blog has a number of egg-free recipes so I checked them out and found TWO brownie recipes.

I decided to make her egg-free grain-free brownie recipe and I am glad we did. Callum tried these right out of the oven and then asked for seconds. This is huge as he is a very picky consumer of dessert (unless it’s cupcakes or ice cream). They’re not overly sweet and have the perfect amount of chocolate. I used raw cocao powder and maple syrup instead of stevia (I’m not on the stevia train just yet). I also sprinkled them with some Enjoy Life chocolate chips as Kelly suggests in her post.

The last recipe I tried from Kelly’s blog was her egg-free and casein-free biscuits .

We make soup at least once a week and Callum always asks for buns or cornbread. When I saw Kelly had a recipe for dairy-free, egg-free biscuits I knew I had to try them. And they’re made with beans! I’ve never baked with beans before. They were a hit. The kids loved them smothered in almond butter and strawberry jam (see picture). Pete and I liked them with a swipe of coconut butter.

Kelly has quite a few recipes that I’d still like to try (like her second egg-free brownie recipe), but what I’d really like to get my hands on is her cookbook!

Kelly also has a second blog called the Spunky Family Journal which is where you’ll find more about her family and their day-to-day life. You can check out some of her artwork there too.

Make sure you hop over to Kelly’s blog, or catch her on Facebook and Twitter.

Don’t forget to check out the rest of the bloggers who were adopted this month (I was adopted by my Valerie from City Life Eats!). Sea’s post should be up in a few days, so check out her blog.

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free November 9, 2010 at 7:56 pm

Maggie, I love Kelly’s book too. And those biscuits look awesome. I have not tried them yet. We LOVE her coffee cake that is made with white beans. My kids devour it and no one would ever guess that legumes are the secret to that dish! I will have to give those brownies and biscuits a try…. Your pictures look awesome too! Great job adopting Kelly!

megs November 9, 2010 at 9:12 pm

i want to try the brownies!

Kim Corrigan-Oliver November 9, 2010 at 11:11 pm

A fabulous find indeed, can’t wait to spend some more time searching through Kelly’s blog. Thanks for sharing Maggie.

Iris November 10, 2010 at 1:40 am

A gluten-free bed and breakfast? I’d be there in a heartbeat!

Erin Elberson Lyon November 10, 2010 at 7:20 am

Hey Maggie!
I second Kim’s recommendation for the bean coffee cake-it was awesome and got raves from my very picky husband, and our neighbors. (In fact, I need to make it again!)
But-you’ve inspired me with the nut-stuff. I was intrigued when Heidi tried it, and now to see this…I must get over my fear and JUST DO IT! :)
Thank you!

Shirley @ gfe November 10, 2010 at 8:42 am

Love, love, love Kelly! I’ve made several of her recipes, all of which turned out fabulous, and I get the pleasure of giving away a few autographed copies of her book tomorrow when I host the Gluten-Free Holiday event–can’t wait! I was slow to make Kelly’s brownies and felt so silly afterwards … talk about yummy. Now I’ve been slow to make her vanilla bean cake, but I soaked and cooked the beans and they are in the freezer waiting for me! ;-)

Terrific adoption post, Maggie! You always do such a lovely and thorough job when you adopt someone! :-)

Hugs,

Sarah November 10, 2010 at 11:11 am

They look so tasty! I think I have to stert baking :)

deb from the Gluten-Free Bohemian November 10, 2010 at 12:26 pm

off to see if my library carries this one – love the soaked nut cheese alternative :)

Ricki November 10, 2010 at 2:42 pm

I saw that biscuit recipe and thought I must try it. . . thanks for doing the work and letting me know how good they are! I have Kelly’s cookbook and it’s great. Nice to read more about her! :)

Sophie November 11, 2010 at 7:35 am

Hello Maggie! I also love her recipes, …they never fail me!! I also love the biscuits a lot,..so did my husband! Her book rocks!

Lexie November 11, 2010 at 9:00 am

Kelly is such a talented chef. I’ve given her book to friends and family and highly recommend it as a holiday gift! Maggie, you cooked up a storm here. Those brownies rock out, don’t they : )

Kelly November 12, 2010 at 4:08 pm

I’m so honored! Thank you so much!!! Hugs, Kelly

Alta November 12, 2010 at 10:59 pm

You know, Kelly’s blog is new to me. This is why I love these Adopt-a-GF-Blogger things!

Wendy @ Celiacs in the House November 18, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Maggie
I have so been dragging my feet with the nut-soaking, bean baking thing, but your adoption of Kelly and a visit to her blog and I am ready to jump on that bean bandwagon. You did a beautiful and thorough adoption that sold me.