Roasted Butternut Squash Dip

by Maggie on October 5, 2010

Have you noticed that little kids LOVE to dip?

In fact, who doesn’t love to dip?

I find it so hard to avoid the dip section of the appetizer table. Most dips are made with dairy, which doesn’t sit well with me anymore. Sometimes I have to physically pull my own hand away from the dip. Seriously. Even though I know it’s not good for my tummy, I still really want to dip my cauliflower into that lovely little bowl of creamy goodness.

So what’s my solution? I bring my own dip to parties. I have to, that’s how much of a dipper I am. Hardcore, isn’t it? I call it coping skills.

My all-time favourite dip is that nacho dip that everyone makes. You know the one. Sour cream and cream cheese layered with salsa and cheese. So easy and so yummy. My friends and I used to polish off a tray of nacho dip at our get-togethers. We wouldn’t eat dinner, we’d just make apps and eat apps all night long.

The last time we got together was the first time I had seen these girls since going 100% dairy-free. I knew the nacho dip would take me down if I didn’t come prepared. So I made my own with cashew sour cream. Seriously, it totally saved me.

But this isn’t a nacho dip (though I suppose it could be). This is an amazingly creamy dip that I am so happy about. Trust me, you will love it! And so will anyone who finds themselves at the dip section of the appetizer table.

I’ve successfully made this creamy dip with both roasted butternut squash and roasted sweet potato. Oh so good. It even passed the “Mommy, what’s this?” test.

Roasted Butternut Squash Dip

1 cup roasted butternut squash (roasted until soft) or sweet potato
1 tbsp mellow miso
¼ cup tahini
1 clove of garlic
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp parsley

Blend squash and garlic until smooth. Add tahini, miso, salt and pepper, and parsley. Whiz until combined.
Serve with veggies, as a sandwich spread, or with crackers.
Store in a sealed container in the fridge. Ours never lasts more than a day or two, but that’s because we eat it up fast.

Have you tried my other dips?
White Bean Hummus
Roasted Carrot Hummus

The winners of the Sweet Freedom giveaway are:

Jamie from What On Earth Do I Eat Now
Nikki

Contact me at Maggie(at)SheLetThemEatCake(dot)com with your addresses so I can send you your copies of Ricki Heller’s Sweet Freedom.

Ricki October 5, 2010 at 7:18 pm

That does look incredibly good! I love both squash and sweet potatoes, so I’m sure I’d enjoy both versions. And bringing one’s own food seems to be pretty much the norm among special-diet bloggers, doesn’t it? (The nacho dip would have got me, too). ;)

Congrats to the winners! :D

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free October 5, 2010 at 8:09 pm

Maggie, this dip looks so so good! I love yellow miso! I use it as part of a glaze for a chilean sea bass recipe I make and it gets so sweet and yummy! This sounds like it would go perfect with butternut squash (or sweet potatoes). Yum! We travel everywhere with different types of food here too. My kids think it is fun to choose what we are going to bring.
;)

Iris October 5, 2010 at 8:26 pm

I love this idea!! You have so many good dip/hummus type recipes!

Zoe @ Z's Cup of Tea October 5, 2010 at 11:20 pm

First thing that caught my eye – the purple cauliflower! I’ve seen yellow cauliflower, but not purple before. (Although, in the back of my head, I know my Mum will be telling me that she’s pointed it out to me before, haha).

gfe--gluten free easily October 6, 2010 at 11:04 am

What a gorgeous plate full of goodness, Maggie! Brilliant on the dip … it’s pretty darned irresistible, isn’t it? ;-) So glad you came up with this solution! We all can benefit from you having to solve that problem–yum. :-)

Hugs,

Linda October 6, 2010 at 4:35 pm

What a great idea. I think I would like to try it both ways–with the squash and the sweet potato. I used to love that taco dip too. I’ll have to check out your sour cream recipe.

Chelsey October 6, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Looks like a dandy dairy free dip. Gotta love the kid friendly factor too. The best part is this is actually good for you (unlike the traditional fat laden DAIRY kind). My favorite dairy free dip is David Lebovits Baba Ganoush (sp?). It tastes creamy!

Stephanie October 6, 2010 at 9:47 pm

Wow, I’m excited to try both this and your nacho dip recipes! I have some DF cream cheese in my fridge right now, and just stocked up on cashews, so I’m set!
I made this dip last week, and loved it! I’m a bit of a dip-aholic as well!

Thanks for sharing such a yummy recipe!

Brian October 7, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Looks like a great healthy dip. I bet my family would love it.

Danielle October 8, 2010 at 2:21 pm

We made the roasted butternut dip this aft and it rocks! You were right about the darker miso being ok to use, I just used less. It tastes great. Good thing I doubled it because not much would be making it to the Thanksgiving table, I can’t keep my fingers out of it ;)

Sophie October 10, 2010 at 11:59 am

A lovely & apart flavoured roasted butternut squash dip!!

MMMMMMM,..Lovely food Maggie!

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats October 14, 2010 at 9:07 am

Yum. Great recipe!

jamie October 14, 2010 at 9:33 am

Maggie! had the dip for lunch yesterday-fabulous! :) and i am so excited that i won! will email you all the details you need. thanks heaps! jamie

Kristin @ Peace, Love and Muesli October 18, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Oh my. I have leftover roasted squash from supper. This will be lunch tomorrow. Yahoo!