Fabulous Find – Z’s Cup of Tea

by Maggie on September 3, 2010

Fancy a cuppa?

Well go grab one, finish reading my post, and then hop on over to Z’s Cup of Tea and take a look through her blog.

I am quite sure you will like what you find.

Remember my interview with Lauren from Celiac Teen?  She is a 17 year old gluten-free food blogger.  Well Miss Z, whose name is actually Zoe, is also a teenage gluten-free food(ie) blogger who totally amazes me!

Zoe’s blog was born out of her family’s need to follow the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD).  What does SCD mean?  It’s okay, I didn’t know either so I asked Zoe.

The SCD (Specific Carbohydrate Diet) is a diet that eliminates all grains and starches; meat, fish, and fowl are acceptable to eat, along with most fruit and vegetables, and some forms of dairy (although in the case of autism, no dairy is allowed) as well as nuts, which are a major staple in SCD baking, used in the form of nut butters or ground to a flour-like consistency, and the only sweetener allowed is honey.

Zoe’s recipes are basically gluten-free, casein-free, refined sugar-free and SCD friendly.  Sounds good to me!

The blog started when she was baking and experimenting by cooking for her brother who is recovering from autism.  Friends and family suggested she write a cookbook, so she started a blog (cookbook deal to follow, right Zoe?).

And we’re all lucky for that decision!  I love it when Zoe’s updates pop up in my inbox (I subscribe to her posts via email).  She always has something totally creative and totally healthy.  Like honey-sweetened marshmallows, which Callum and I are dying to try!

Adopt A Gluten-Free Blogger

I decided to adopt Zoe for this month’s Adopt A Gluten-Free Blogger event which is hosted by the one and only Shirley from Gluten Free Easily.

August was slightly crazy for everyone I know.  For me though, it was birthday after birthday.  Two weddings.  And loads of baking in the hot hot heat.  So I found a recipe on Zoe’s blog that was simple and delicious and didn’t require me to turn on my oven.  Phew.

It was hard to pick a single recipe from Zoe’s blog.  I really wanted to try her marshmallows but I just couldn’t fit it in.  Instead I opted for her Mango Banana Popsicles.  A perfect treat for a hot September day (seriously, we’ve had a little heatwave up in these parts).  My little ragamuffins loved them and I loved them even more!  No juice, no added sugar, no dairy.  Just FRUIT.  Yum.

Here are a few more recipes from Z’s Cup of Tea I really want to try:

Honey-Sweetened Marshmallows

Sesame Snaps

Lemon Millet Biscuits

Want to know more about Zoe? Check out her blog.

Want to know more about the Specific Carbohydrate Diet? Zoe says you must read Breaking the Vicious Cycle by Elaine Gottschall, which explains SCD and how it works. Or check out the official website of Breaking the Vicious Cycle and Pecanbread.com, which is a site for kids on the SCD.

And you MUST head over to Shirley’s blog in a couple of days for the full roundup!

Iris September 3, 2010 at 11:48 am

Zoe is a sweetheart and her recipes are lovely. I tried her agave sweetened marshmallows and they were really simple to make! Simplicity is key for me!

Maggie September 3, 2010 at 3:10 pm

I agree, Zoe is awesome! I’m so glad that I chose to adopt her this month, it’s been fun getting to know her. I’m glad to hear that about the marshmallows – you’re giving me confidence :) Thanks Iris!

AuntieK September 3, 2010 at 5:08 pm

I loved the photos you posted of your little “ragamuffins”. They are so darling! I am amazed with Zoe’s creativity and kindness and what a difference cutting out a lot of refined sugar has made, even though I am not fully gluten free. She is amazing and I love your writing style, too! ;)

Maggie September 5, 2010 at 11:53 am

Hi Auntie K – Thanks for visiting! I’m glad you like my little ragamuffins! Zoe is totally amazing. I hope my kiddies turn out to be as wonderful as she is. I think she’s doing an incredible thing for her brother and her family.

Zoe @ Z's Cup of Tea September 4, 2010 at 2:03 am

Thank you so much, Maggie, you made my day and I loved reading your post! The popsicles look fantastic – did you use more mango, or just followed with what amounts I had used? I’m glad that you and your little ones enjoyed them. :)

Maggie September 5, 2010 at 11:53 am

Hi Zoe – Thanks for checking out the post! I am so happy that I made your day – you deserve it! I did use more mango because my bananas were really ripe so I needed to balance out the taste a little too. I can’t wait to try more of your recipes!

Heidi @adventuresofaglutenfreemom September 4, 2010 at 1:03 pm

I think Lauren and Zoe’s parents need to do a few blog posts of their own, sharing their parenting tips of these “super teens!” :-D

I love Callum’s picture…he is SO Luke, with a multicolored face, LOL!

Heidi

Maggie September 5, 2010 at 11:54 am

Hi Heidi – That is such a good idea. Maybe I’ll ask their parents to do guest posts :) I would love that. Yes, Callum had been painting his face that day. Gotta love the 4 year old mind! xo

Nancy @ TheSensitivePantry September 5, 2010 at 5:00 am

I love that the Adopt a GF Blogger provides me with some blogs to explore that I’ve never before happened upon. That’s both yours and Zoe’s blogs. Mango is an all time favorite fruit so I’m hopping over to Zoe’s now to check it out–that recipe and, of course, those marshmallows!

Maggie September 5, 2010 at 11:55 am

Hi Nancy – Thanks for coming to visit! I’m planning on trying your donut muffins soon! Can’t wait.

Ricki September 6, 2010 at 10:09 am

Great review–and those popsicles do look delish (love the ragamuffin faces, too)! ;) I learned about the SCD when I was in nutrition school and have always been amazed by all the things people have managed to make on it. It can apparently heal a wide array of conditions, too.

Maggie September 6, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Thanks Ricki – I can’t imagine going on the SCD diet. I think it’s amazing that people do so much to heal naturally. Zoe and her family inspire me!

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free September 6, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Maggie, you did a great job on adopting Zoe! I love her! She has some awesome recipes and she has even shared some with me to place into the app. She is such a sweetheart! Awesome post, my dear!

And I am with Heidi. I want to pick both Lauren and Zoe’s parents minds to see how they raised such mature responsible children.

And, btw, I have those same popsicle molds! The kids LOVE them! ;)
I can see that those two beauties of yours love them too!

xo
kim

Maggie September 6, 2010 at 6:04 pm

Thanks so much Kim. I have to say, I think we’re all off to a good start with our kiddies! Especially when it comes to teaching them about healthy food choices, and lord knows we love them! We must :) Their blogs will blow ours out of the water!

Carol, Simply...Gluten-free September 12, 2010 at 7:15 am

Great post and you picked a great blogger to adopt and did a fab job of it! Love those molds :)

Maggie September 12, 2010 at 7:37 am

Thanks so much Carol! I agree, Zoe is pretty amazing. Thanks for stopping by to check out the post.

Amy @ Simply Sugar & Gluten Free September 13, 2010 at 2:15 pm

What a fabulous post! (I’m loving the kiddo pics…) I love homemade popsicles…there’s something about them that makes me feel like a kid inside. And, of course I love you and Zoe, too – a couple of my favorite bloggy friends.

Maggie September 14, 2010 at 6:41 am

Thanks Amy! Callum was covered in face paint for that picture! Homemade popsicles are the best, for sure!

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats September 13, 2010 at 8:33 pm

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog – and you are so right. I am on a total sweet potato kick right now. In the last couple of weeks I have had several sweet potato avocado chocolate puddings and at least 3 sweet potato sandwiches. I hope that the sweet potato craving subsides soon LOL :)

Maggie September 14, 2010 at 6:42 am

Hey Valerie – I don’t want your sweet potato kick to end :)