Double Chocolate Chip Cookies

by Maggie on August 17, 2010

Got a hankering for chocolate?

These cookies are a delightful treat when you need a chocolate fix.  Or in my case, when you need a chocolate crumb.

I like to use these cookies to make a crumb base for pies, squares, and cakes.  Oh, and a totally amazing and delicious dairy-free and gluten-free Cookies and Cream Ice Cream Cake.  Don’t worry, you’ll get that recipe next week.

Patience my friends.

But as a cookie they are delicious.  The melted chocolate-coconut oil combination gives the cookies a shine when they’re finished.

I used sorghum flour and almond flour to make these cookies.  I really like sorghum in cookies, it makes for a yummy cookie dough and an even yummier baked cookie.  But I think you could easily substitute any gluten-free flour for the sorghum.  Some of my favourites are quinoa flour, brown rice flour, and buckwheat flour.

Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, and Egg-Free Double Chocolate Chip Cookies

Inspired by Martha Stewart.

1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips

4 tbsp coconut oil

2/3 cup sorghum flour

1/2 to 3/4 cup almond flour

1/3 cup potato starch

1/2 tsp guar gum (or xanthan gum)

1 tsp sea salt

1 tsp baking powder

5 tbsp ground flax combined with 6 tbsp warm water (or 2 tbsp ground chia mixed with 1/2 cup water)

3/4 cup sucanat (or your favorite granulated sugar)

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips (or even better, chocolate chunks)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment.

Heat the chocolate chips with the coconut oil in a double boiler (or place the chocolate chips in a small pot and sit it on top of a larger pot filled 1/3 of the way with water).  Heat until almost melted.  Stir constantly.  You could also do this in a microwave.

In a small bowl, combine sorghum flour, 1/2 cup of almond flour, potato starch, sea salt and baking powder.

In a large bowl, combine flax and water, sucanat, and vanilla.  Mix well and stir in the melted chocolate.  Mix in the flour mixture until just combined.  Add extra almond flour if necessary (check the consistency of your cookie dough, you don’t want it to be too runny).  Stir in chocolate chips or chunks.

Drop heaping tablespoons of the cookie dough onto baking sheets – leave lots of room in between as they will spread out a little as they bake.

Bake for 10- 12 minutes.  Cool on sheet for 10 minutes and then move to cooling racks to cool completely.  Store in an airtight container.  Or test one or two and crumble the rest!

It’s birthday month here.  Last week I made a chocolate layer cake for my sister’s birthday.  Sunday I made an ice cream cake for my mom (recipe to come).  And this week I am making cupcakes for Callum.  I’m going cake crazy! But I love it.

You can also find this recipe and many more ‘slightly indulgent’ recipes at Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free .

Are you a chocolate chips or a chocolate chunks kind of person?

Alisa August 17, 2010 at 10:34 am

Chips or chunks, it’s all good to me! Can’t wait to see the ice cream cake, but really, these cookies sound fabulous too!

Lose Weight Fast August 17, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Chocolate doesn’t have to have a shape or size, just be chocolate!

Annie August 17, 2010 at 2:18 pm

This will give me just the reason I need to use my fancy new double boiler (wedding gift). Oh how I love double chocolate cookies and presents for that matter! Oh and I’m a chocolate chucks girl. The more chocolate the better!

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free August 17, 2010 at 3:46 pm

I am so a CHUNK person (especially when the cookies are cold and those chunks are hard)! This looks so good! What a great recipe, Maggie! Cannot wait to try these! ;)

gfe--gluten free easily August 18, 2010 at 5:06 am

Chocolate chip cookies are not enough … no, they have to be double chocolate chip. You sure know how to become the popular girl, Maggie! ;-) I’ll definitely give these a try with another flour besides sorghum when I’m back in baking mode! All the baking you’ve been doing sounds great!

I have yet to use sucanat. Do you buy it locally? Order it online? What’s the best/easiest way to purchase it?

Thanks so much, Maggie!

Annie August 19, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Well the dough sure is delish! I’m waiting with anticipation over here to test the final product. I’ll let you know how they turn out!

Annie August 20, 2010 at 2:40 pm

So the cookies are defintely even better than the dough! I only baked half a dozen and froze the rest and I’m glad for it because they would all be gone by now for sure. Good job Mags

Steph August 20, 2010 at 4:48 pm

Two questions… can I use xanthan gum instead of guar gum ? and can I substitute almond flour with another flour?
Thanks for the great recipe. Can’t wait to try it!

Ricki August 21, 2010 at 1:35 pm

These sure do sound like they’d be right up my alley! Chocolate flavored chocolate is my kinda cookie! ;) And what kind of question is that last one–why can’t a gal be BOTH chips AND chunks??

Zoe @ Z's Cup of Tea August 22, 2010 at 8:25 pm

I love chocolate chip/chunk cookies (double’s always welcome, too)! They’re the quintessential favourite, in my mind – there are so many endless variations of chocolate chip cookies, too. I really like the taste of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, though I understand oats are a bit problematic and a constant source of debate when living gluten-free. I’ve yet to feature a chocolate chip recipe on my blog; hopefully that will be amended soon.

Thank you for adopting me, too – it’s an honour and was a pleasant surprise to read that in the comment you left me. (I hadn’t checked recently on the sign-up sheet at Shirley’s.) I hope the marshmallows work out for you and your little one likes the rice crispy squares made with it. :)

Annie August 24, 2010 at 4:32 am

Quincy loved them. I gave him a chunk of mine and he was delighted. They grow so fast. I can`t believe I`m already wiping chocolate off his face!

Sophie August 31, 2010 at 6:41 am

Waw!! Your recipe for these amazing sounding cookies looks great in the flavours department!

MMMMMMMMM,…I made a few days ago, @ my latest post: Gluten free triple coconut & almond butter soft cookies with dark chocolate chips!

Bye!

Ellen @ I Am Gluten Free October 2, 2010 at 10:30 am

Maggie – these look great! I just made gluten free, dairy free, egg free chocolate chip cookies last night. First time making the recipe – they came out great, though a bit too soft for my liking. I’m really going for the crispy chocolate chip cookie. I have a GF chocolate chip cookie on my blog, but the recipe comes from before I eliminated eggs from my baking. I’m wondering – are your cookies soft or crisp?