Cookies and Cream Cake

by Maggie on August 24, 2010

Move over Dairy Queen.

Because we don’t need your gluten, your dairy, or your HFCS.

Look at this cake!  Look at the layers of yummy, healthy, tummy-friendly goodness.

I made this delicious gluten-free and dairy-free Cookies and Cream ice cream cake for my Mom for her birthday.

It was divine.

My friend Heather is the ice cream cake queen.  She makes dairy and gluten-loving ice cream cakes on a regular basis.  So when I decided to make my first ice cream cake, I knew I had to consult her.  Heather’s advice totally made my cake a success so I recommend you follow the instructions.

Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free Cookies and Cream Ice Cream Cake

What you’ll need:

1 spring-form pan (line the bottom with parchment)

1 batch of soft dairy-free vanilla ice cream

1 batch of crumbled double chocolate cookies

1 batch of chocolate avocado pudding

1 batch of Oh She Glow’s Homemade Raw Chocolate Chips

First Layer:

1 1/2 cups cookie crumbs

1/3 cup melted coconut oil

Combine chocolate cookie crumbs with coconut oil and press into prepared pan.

Place in the freezer to harden for at least 20 minutes.

Second Layer:

Remove the first layer from the freezer and spread half of the vanilla ice cream on top of the crumb base.

Sprinkle with 1/2 to 2/3 cups of the cookie crumbs and gently press into ice cream.

Return to freezer to harden for at least 20 minutes.

Third Layer:

Remove cake from the freezer and spread with chocolate avocado pudding.

Sprinkle with one cup (or more) of Homemade Raw Chocolate Chips (or just plain old regular!)

Return to freezer to harden for at least 20 minutes.

Fourth Layer:

Remove the cake from the freezer and spread with the remaining vanilla ice cream.

Sprinkle with remaining cookie crumbs.  You may want to reserve some of the crumbs to use as plate decoration.

Return finished cake to the freezer until ready to serve.

Remove cake from the freezer 30 minutes prior to serving – the ice cream does get quite hard so it needs some time to soften so you can cut it.  Cut with a knife dipped in warm water.

There you have it my friends. The best cake I’ve ever made.  It may seem like a production, but aren’t our Moms worth it?  Mine is!  Besides, you can prep the ingredients the day before and build the cake the next day.

I have another variation in my head that will soon make it out of my head and into my mouth.  Stay tuned!

You can also find this recipe and many more ‘slightly indulgent’ recipes at Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free .

Iris August 24, 2010 at 2:02 pm

What a lucky mom you have!

Kris August 24, 2010 at 5:15 pm

Oh my! I was just reminiscing about DQ ice cream cakes from when I was a kid- looks like this will do the trick and more!

Theresa August 24, 2010 at 8:27 pm

Oh wow! I’m almost speechless! That just looks SO good!!! You’re proving that anything is possible, even without dairy and gluten.

Heather August 25, 2010 at 5:41 pm

So glad it worked out!! I will definitely use your recipe next time – I love your spin on it. So glad the Savage Clan could enjoy a great ice cream cake!

Amy @ Simply Sugar & Gluten Free August 25, 2010 at 10:03 pm

Exactly when will SheLetThemEatCake.com be shipping to Dallas? It looks totally sinful…I’d love every last bite.

Kristin @ Peace, Love and Muesli August 26, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Oh my! I have to go to a birthday party tonight and Dairy Queen cake will be served. I politely decline. Wish I had seen this in time to make it to bring.

mom August 27, 2010 at 2:16 pm

I am a very lucky and loved Mom!!!! This was the very best ice cream cake I have ever eaten. No more Dairy Queen cakes for me. I have one last piece (shhhh don’t tell your dad) in the freezer that I am saving for a sunny hot day. :)Thanks so much Maggie. You make a mama very proud!

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free August 30, 2010 at 4:50 pm

Hi Maggie! I think you just picked my son’s birthday cake for me! This looks so fun, delicious, and maybe even, dare I say, easy enough!!!! He will be so excited! Yumm! You made it look so professional too! I love this.
And your mom is right. She is one very lucky and loved Mom!!

Aubree Cherie August 31, 2010 at 3:05 pm

You’ve done it again Maggie.. How could one resist?!?! :) I’ve added it to my favorite recipes from last week post. Thanks!

~Aubree Cherie

nurse practitioner November 16, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Beneficial info and excellent design you got here! I want to thank you for sharing your ideas and putting the time into the stuff you publish! Great work!

college scholarships November 24, 2010 at 7:34 am

Thanks for an idea, you sparked at thought from a angle I hadn’t given thoguht to yet. Now lets see if I can do something with it.

veterinary technician December 14, 2010 at 7:23 am

Great information! I’ve been looking for something like this for a while now. Thanks!