Friday Finds: Daiya Cheese

by Maggie on July 2, 2010

Friday Finds is back this week with a gooey and cheesy treat.

My friend Danielle was kind enough to bring me some Daiya cheese last weekend when she came for a visit.  Can you believe it?  She’s so good to me – she also brought me an LPK Nanaimo Bar (gluten-free and vegan).

I have tried most of the dairy-free cheeses on the Canadian market and they just don’t do it for me.  Not at all.

It’s the melt factor.  These dairy-free cheeses just don’t melt.

Enter Daiya Cheddar Style Shreds (I love that name).

I can hear the skeptics, “Cheddar style?  Oh come on!”

But Daiya totally melts – check out my picture if you don’t believe me!  An avocado grilled cheese sandwich.  Yum!

And it tastes good. Really good.

We also tried it on nachos – we are big fans of nacho night around here.  This cheese was a welcomed addition.

The best part about Daiya cheese?  It’s a treat.  I don’t feel like I need to eat it every day.  We’ll eat it once in a while.  When we’re craving melty cheese.

Here’s the ingredient list:

Filtered water, tapioca and/or arrowroot flours, non-GMO expeller pressed canola and /or non-GMO expeller pressed safflower oil, coconut oil, pea protein, salt, inactive yeast, vegan natural flavours, vegetable glycerin, xanthan gum, citric acid (for flavor), annatto.

Not bad.  Daiya Cheddar Style Shreds are gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, trans fat-free and cholesterol-free.  Amazing.

When you have to give up some of the foods that you love, it’s nice to have foods like this to fall back on.  Some days you deserve a grilled cheese.  Some days you need melty and gooey cheese on your pizza.  Some days you just want something fast and seemingly normal.

By the way…

• I’m taking it easy with my Friday Finds over the summer.  Trying to get outside and play with my babes (and now my new camera!).
  • We are unplugging and leaving town for a few days. I’ll take next week off and come back with something fun! I promise. Have a great week. I’ll miss you too.
  • The Go Ahead Honey, It’s Gluten-Free roundup has been posted at Z’s Cup of Tea.  You MUST check it out – this month’s theme was Dairy-Free.
  • Disclaimer: I did not receive anything free from Daiya.  This was funded by the lovely and talented Danielle.  Thank you Danielle (and Peter).

Alisa July 2, 2010 at 10:56 am

We saw Daiya at Whole Foods, but just weren’t willing to spend the dough (not cheap stuff!) for it since neither my husband or I craves cheese. But, I sampled the new GFCF mac & cheez from Amy’s, and it was made with Daiya. Surprisingly good. My husband (who still knows the taste of cheese) was actually concerned that it had real cheese in it. To me, it seemed a little “gluey” but otherwise very good.

Have a great trip!

Iris July 2, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Can you believe I still haven’t tried daiya yet!? Every time I read a blog post raving about it, I think I’ll go buy some, but whenever I’ve seen it in the store, I haven’t been in the mood. I’ve been pretty good about eating dairy free this month though, so maybe this will be a treat for myself. :)

gfe--gluten free easily July 2, 2010 at 8:51 pm

Thanks for the great review, Maggie! Based on Alisa’s comment, I’m curious how expensive it it. I’m not sure I can even find it around here, but I would like to try it.

Have a great few days away! And, new camera? I’m jealous! ;-)

Hugs,

Ellen @ I Am Gluten Free July 3, 2010 at 5:28 pm

I love love love Daiya and am thrilled to have it as an option. Most recently, I put some inbetween two corn tortillas and then threw it in my cast iron pan and voila! Within a few minutes, I had a quesadilla, with lots of gooey, melted cheese in the middle!

Heather at Life, Gluten Free July 14, 2010 at 12:32 pm

This is weird because I checked the ingredients on the package of this cheese when I saw it at the store.. a month or so ago. It said “sunflower lecithin” but then I saw someone talked about it online (Kelly at the spunky coconut – maybe? can’t remember) and it didn’t say anything about sunflower lecithin. Sophie is allergic to sunflowers so I don’t know, I guess they changed the ingredients… Either way I don’t think we’ll try the cheese… it has safflower oil, which depending on where they source it from it could contain trace amounts of nuts or certain seeds. It looks good though :( Darn.

Miles July 19, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Hey I love your blog.
Something interesting you might look into:
I have recently stumbled upon some gluten free foods that I think all people trying to live Gluten Free lives should try. The brand is Gluten Free & Fabulous and I’ve tried the shortbread cookies and spinach pizza. They were delicious and there’s more I have yet to try. Also, they are easy to get; you can buy the product straight from the site:www.glutenfreefabulous.com . I hope this helps. Let me know what you think and keep up the great blog!
-Miles