Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Dream

by Maggie on July 20, 2010

Ice cream!  Can you believe it?

Gluten-free, dairy-free and egg-free ice cream.  Also known as gluten-free and vegan ice cream.  Also known as oh my goodness this is good ice cream!

When I told Callum that we were making ice cream this is how Part 1 of our conversation went:

Me: Callum, do you want to make ice cream tomorrow?

Callum: Is it almost tomorrow Mommy?

Me: One more sleep Callum.

And here’s how Part 2 of our conversation went:

Callum: Mommy, it’s tomorrow so can we make ice cream right now?

Me: Callum, it’s 5am.  We’ll make ice cream later.

Callum: When’s later?

Me: Callum, if you want to make ice cream today you need to  go back to sleep.

End of conversation.

Once later arrived, Callum and I had a great time making ice cream.  It was way easier than I thought it would be.  And Callum could really get involved with this recipe.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream

• 2 cans of cold full fat coconut milk (14 oz cans)
  • 1/2 cup all-natural smooth peanut butter
  • 1/3 cup raw cacao powder
  • 1/3 cup maple syrup
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla

1.  Add all of the ingredients to your blender or food processor and mix until well blended. You could chill this mixture if time permits (I didn’t have time but my coconut milk and maple syrup were in the fridge beforehand).
2. Pour into your ice cream maker and follow your ice cream maker’s instructions.

This is the Ice Cream Maker I used to have a it worked great, but you have to churn it. Last year I got this one from Cuisinart and it does all the work itself.

Makes approximately 4 cups of delicious ice cream.

By the way…

• You could pour this mixture into popsicle molds and enjoy Chocolate Peanut Butter Popsicles!
    • Seriously, get yourself an ice cream maker (I know, one more appliance).  Or just make it without an ice cream maker, freeze it and stir the mixture every half hour or so.
    • My friend Shirley, from Gluten-Free Easily shared on great tip on a recent post for Blueberry Honey Pie (yum!)- always store some coconut milk in the fridge, that way you can have ice cream whenever you want!
    • Not sure if you want to invest the time to make ice cream?  Check the label of your favourite brand.  I bet homemade ice cream has less ingredients!
    • And do you have Kelly’s Ice Cream Book yet?  You need it! Dairy-Free Ice Cream: 75 Recipes Made Without Eggs, Gluten, Soy, or Refined Sugar

I plan on experimenting with flavours over the summer.  What’s your favourite flavour?

Deanna July 20, 2010 at 6:25 am

Yum! I love love love chocolate and peanut butter together. It is probably my ultimate sweet flavor combination. This may have to be my next batch of ice cream.

We do a lot of the cashew-based ice creams. Have you tried that yet? I bet your kiddo would like those, too.

Aubree Cherie July 20, 2010 at 8:44 am

Ooo, this looks good! I’ve made it this way before too and I love it! So glad you were inspired :) I love that its so simple.

~Aubree Cherie

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free July 20, 2010 at 10:44 am

This ice cream sounds so good. I just got back on my ice-cream making kick after making Nancy’s (Sensitive Pantry’s) Lemon Basil Ice Cream!
This one looks like it will be next on my list! Yum!! My oldest son’s favorite combo is choc., peanut butter, and bananas. He will go crazy for this one!

Heidi Kelly July 20, 2010 at 11:34 am

Oh Maggie, this looks delicious! I think I will finally breakdown and buy an ice cream maker… now, where to put it? :-D

Amy @ Simply Sugar & Gluten Free July 20, 2010 at 5:07 pm

Mags, my dear – I’ve been stir-freezing away. Things like pineapple mint, raw vegan vanilla cashew ice cream, quick maple walnut ice cream…and of course Joe’s favorite – Vanilla. I could have an entire fridge full of delish ice cream and if there’s no vanilla he goes to the store. Seriously.

Thanks for linking up. You add so much to my days. Hugs!

Annie July 20, 2010 at 8:31 pm

This looks SO good! I really really wish I was eating some right now. And by the way your pictures are getting better and better all the time. I’m thinking your job description is now stay at home mom/on hold high school teacher/gluten free blogger/food photographer. Those are four pretty sweet professions Maggie. You rock!

gfe--gluten free easily July 20, 2010 at 9:50 pm

Heavenly, Maggie! I wanted to make this ice cream as soon as I read your post earlier, but darn it I was at work and then I had to go to the grocery store, etc. … Life just gets in the way of all the fun stuff some time! ;-) Too cute on your conversation with Callum. Making dairy-free, vegan ice cream is so easy. Thanks for sharing my tip! It also comes in handy for plain old smoothies. I used a little chilled coconut milk this morning for a cherry, banana, spinach, and romaine smoothie. It was divine. Thanks so much for this recipe, Maggie!

Hugs,

Lindsey July 21, 2010 at 7:47 am

You must have been as excited about making ice cream as Callum was, or you would have known better than to tell your toddler about such incredibly thrilling plans while they were still a sleep away! :)

This recipe looks and sounds delish…you can tell Callum that I am asking for an ice cream maker for our mutual birthday. The only problem with that plan is I just don’t know if I can wait another month to try this tasty treat!

Oh, and I put a link to this page as a comment on an article about the health benefits of coconut milk. ;) http://www.thatsfit.ca/2008/12/08/dear-healthy-foodie-is-coconut-milk-fattening/1#c29428070

mitzimi @ the-ice-cream-maker.com July 21, 2010 at 8:55 am

Sounds delicious – I love peanut butter ice cream and haven’t tried it yet with coconut milk. Must be a winning combination!

Since several people have mentioned they’re considering getting an ice cream maker, you might find helpful the articles on how to choose the best kind of ice cream maker for you, ice cream maker ratings and reviews and the ice cream recipes at The-Ice-Cream-Maker.com

Sophie July 22, 2010 at 5:54 am

Hello Maggie!!

I so love this tasty chocolate & peanut butter coconutmilk ice cream,..looks truly tasty!

Ricki July 22, 2010 at 8:52 pm

I really enjoyed a rhubarb swirl flavor I made recently; and today I had mint with brownie bits (yes, anti candida, believe it or not!). YUM. I adore peanut butter but can’t have it yet–when I can, you can bet this will be right at the top of my list of “to make.” :D

Lisa July 23, 2010 at 8:14 am

Chocolate and Peanut Butter, our favorite. Thanks for the idea!!!

Desiree Fawn July 24, 2010 at 12:21 am

Awe, what a cutie! I can remember being that small and thinking that even just ONE more day was an excruciating amount of time to wait!

As for my favourite ice cream — green tea! I’ve only had it at sushi restaurants, but it’s amazing. (Actually, reminds me a little of Chantilly’s whoopie pie!)

Jake November 23, 2010 at 5:41 pm

What size (oz) are each can of coconut?

Jake November 24, 2010 at 12:04 am

Thanks. Going to try. I do not like the consistency of “ice cream” when done from a frozen banana base. So, I will give this one a try.

Lindsey August 31, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Just christened my new ice cream maker with this recipe. Love it, and you! XO
(Even Mr. We Don’t Need Another Small Appliance is now officially convinced! :)

Catherine September 1, 2011 at 9:58 am

Ben and I just tried this recipe as a popsicle. We just put them in the fridge and can’t wait to try them! Thanks so much! I love your recipes!

Angel March 18, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Hi,

I was just wondering what type of coconut milk you use. I made a cherry vanilla ice cream last night ant the coconut milk I used had such a strong after taste I couldn’t eat it. I was thinking maybe the coconut milk went bad and took a look at the can and it was still good. Not sure what the problem was, but the taste of the canned coconut milk I used was awful. I think it was Post.

Another Maggie April 19, 2013 at 9:32 am

Have you ever tried this without the peanut butter? Just wondered if it would still be good.

Lisa August 1, 2014 at 10:53 am

Is that 1/3 cup cocoa and 1/3 cup maple syrup?