Quinoa Date Squares

by Maggie on June 14, 2010

Should I change the name of my blog to She Let Them Eat Quinoa?

I love all things quinoa.

Quinoa is so so so good for you and the people you love.

And you (and the people you love) will love these healthy little date squares.  That is, if you’re a date square kind of person.

My Mom was over-date-squared growing up.  It happens to the best of us foodies.  Pete was over-pea’d.  I was over-salmon-loafed.

Due to my Mom’s over-date-squaring I was under-date-squared (are you following me?).  So I happen to love date squares.  They’re filling, sweet, and crumbly.

These gluten-free and dairy-free quinoa date squares have a great crumble.

In fact, I’m already thinking of a million other fillings or ingredients I can use with this crumble.  Rhubarb and strawberries, chocolate, caramel, blueberries.  You get the idea.

I owe the birth of this recipe to my friend Annie.  We have a lot in common: we both LOVE to bake, we both LOVE yummy food, and  we both care a lot about the food that we put into our bodies.

So when Annie sent me her date square recipe I knew it would be good.

I played around with Annie’s recipe just a little bit to get it right for the people I love (yes, that includes you) and I think you’ll really like it.

Quinoa Date Squares

1 cup water

1 small apple chopped (I used royal gala)

2  1/4 cups medjool dates (pit dates first)

juice of 1/2 a lemon (2 tbsp lemon juice)

1/2 cup melted coconut oil  (Annie’s recipe called for 3/4 cups butter)

1/2 cup maple syrup

1 tsp sea salt

1/2 cup almond flour (very finely ground almonds)

1/4 cup sorghum flour

1/2 cup quinoa flour

1/4 cup tapioca starch

2  1/2 cup quinoa flakes (Annie’s recipe called for rolled oats)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and grease an 8×8 pan.

Bring 1 cup of water to a boil and simmer chopped apples until almost soft.  Add dates and simmer another 5-10 minutes until soft.  Add lemon juice and blend with an immersion blender.

In a small bowl mix coconut oil and maple syrup.  Combine flours and sea salt in a large bowl.  If you don’t have almond flour just use more sorghum flour (Annie used brown rice flour).  Add quinoa flakes and stir to combine.

Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.

Press 2/3 of the date square crumble dough into the bottom of the greased 8×8 pan.  Spread with the date mixture and then add the remaining crumble dough.

Bake for 35-40 minutes.  Let cool on a wire rack and enjoy.

These gluten-free and dairy-free date squares make a great breakfast, or a powerful snack.  There’s no guilt with these babies.

Do you love baking with quinoa too?  Check out these quinoa-friendly recipes:

Gluten-Free & Vegan Granola Bars

Gluten-Free & Vegan Quinoa Chocolate Chip Cookies

Gluten-Free & Vegan Quinoa Banana Muffins

You can also find this recipe and many more ‘slightly indulgent’ recipes at Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free

Stephanie June 14, 2010 at 8:06 pm

Oh my, these look great! Karina over at GF Goddess makes a great quinoa blueberry breakfast bar. I don’t think I’ve ever had a date bar…I’m very excited to try this one!

Annie June 15, 2010 at 8:37 am

Maggie these look even better than the originals! I’ve never really worked with quinoa flakes but it looks like I will be now. I’ve thought about using a blueberry filling too and I bet it would be SO good (do I dare say maybe even better!?!?). Let me know if you try it out. Miss you guys!

Alisa June 15, 2010 at 10:20 am

Cute – I like the new name option :)

Those look awesome! I keep meaning to bake with dates more.

gfe--gluten free easily June 15, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Such a cute title and post, plus a divine sounding recipe! I’d stick with your current blog name. ;-) I’m trying to think was I was “over’d” growing up … so far drawing a blank. Will have to tweak this for my own reqs, but nice, Maggie. You are the queen of close-up shots. Love them!

Aubree Cherie June 16, 2010 at 5:42 am

HA! I love the ‘new’ blog title :P You crack me up!

The recipe certainly sounds tasty. I personally love quinoa too, and the addition of the fruit make it sound perfectly sweet! I hope I can try it soon :)

~Aubree Cherie

Amy @ Simply Sugar & Gluten Free June 16, 2010 at 8:50 am

Can you overnight these to Texas? I’m sure it’s possible…

I love quinoa, too. Everytime I read your blog, I feel like I’m reading something from my long-lost twin. We think the same. Seriously.

Hugs, dear.

Kim Corrigan-Oliver June 16, 2010 at 10:47 am

Looks fabulous Maggie! I am going to try them with starwberries and rhubarb right now. Can’t wait to try them.

Jenni June 16, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Oo! I’ve had this box of Quinoa flakes sitting in my cupboard for 6 months…FINALLY something to use them for! I can’t wait to make these…Thanks for the recipe!

Steph Sullivan June 17, 2010 at 8:38 am

Any suggestion on a GF alternate to the almond-flour? Syd is still doing the no-nut thing…..I know, I know……

Ricki June 18, 2010 at 8:50 pm

MAN, do those look good! I am seriously craving a date square now. . . or any of the other variations you mentioned. I can just taste that crumble topping, too. Yum.

Aubree Cherie June 23, 2010 at 5:21 am

Hey Maggie, I just wanted to let you know that I linked this to my favorite recipes from last week post :) Can’t wait to try them…

~Aubree Cherie

Amanda June 27, 2010 at 1:26 pm

I think I love these… you know me and dates. Can you please just send them to me? Already made, obviously. I have my dates soaking for my first shake, Mags. I’ll let you know how it turns out. :) xx

Emmannuelle January 26, 2011 at 7:00 am

My first gluten free adventure! I bought the ingredients to make these before boy #3 came along, and well, I haven’t been doing much baking since then! André loves to be held, and so I made them last night with him in the Trekker! I really enjoyed these squares and I really enjoyed that there is no added refined sugar, but they were sweet enough! Got to love those dates and maple syrup … yum! I have printed the almond milkshake recipe (again, before #3 came along), and I will try that one soon! :-)

Kristin @ Peace, Love and Muesli September 1, 2011 at 1:28 pm

I searched for gluten free date squares and there you were. Should of just come here first.
I am out of quinoa flakes, so it’s gonna be oats. And butter. Cause you know how I feel about butter.