Gluten-Free and Egg-Free Bagels

by Maggie on June 2, 2010

Have you ever made bagels before?

Really, they’re much easier to make than you think.  Especially after diving in the first time.  They get easier every time.

It’s just like baking bread.  Just pour yourself a big coffee or a lovely glass of wine before you dive in!

And imagine being able to bite into freshly made gluten-free bagels that YOU made?  It’s really one of life’s greatest foodie pleasures.

I’ve been tweaking this recipe for a couple of months now.  I’ve done a little gluten-free bagel research, I’ve tried a few different combinations, and I’ve finally come up with a recipe that is easy and ready for you!

You can also get this bagel recipe on Amy’s lovely blog Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free.  Amy is one of my blogging heroes.  She actually asked little ol’ me to do a guest post on her blog.  Once I picked my jaw up from the floor, I totally agreed.  You can check it out here.

Gluten-Free, Egg-Free Bagels

Adapted from Canadian Living Cooks

1 tsp cane sugar

1 cup warm water

1 tbsp active dry yeast

5 tbsp of ground flax mixed with 6 tbsp water (subbed for 2 eggs)

1 tbsp sunflower oil

4 – 5 cups my all-purpose bean-free mix

2 tbsp cane sugar

2 tsp sea salt

1 tsp baking soda

Poaching Liquid:

16 cups water

2 tbsp cane sugar

Glaze:

1/4 cup sesame seeds

1/4 cup non-dairy milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)

In the bowl of your kitchenaid, add warm water and 1 tsp of cane sugar.  Stir to dissolve sugar.  Add 1 tbsp yeast.  Let sit for 10 minutes, until the yeast is doing that poofy thing.

Using a whisk, add the flax and water mixture and oil.  Whisk until combined.

Using your mixer, or by hand, stir in the following: two cups of the flour, 2 tbsp cane sugar, 2 tsp sea salt, and 1 tsp baking soda.

Mix until well combined.  If you’re using your mixer: using the kneading hook, knead dough for 10 minutes adding enough of the flour to make a dough that is not too sticky.  You should be able to knead this dough by hand if you wanted to.

If you’re kneading by hand (which I have done with this dough): place dough on a well-floured surface and knead for 10 minutes incorporating as much of the flour as required.

Place dough in a well-greased bowl and cover.  Let rise for 1 and a half hours (dough should double in bulk).

Divide dough into 12 even-sized pieces (bigger than a golf ball but smaller than a tennis ball).  Roll pieces into balls, placing under a dish towel as you go.  Flatten each ball and then, using your index finger, poke a hole in each ball and gently stretch the hole so it is about 2 fingers wide.  At this point the balls should start looking like bagels.

Place bagels on a well-greased cookie sheet and cover for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400 degrees and prepare the poaching liquid by boiling the water.   When it comes to a boil, stir in the sugar.  Slip bagels in 3 at a time and cook over medium heat for 1 minute.  After 1 minute, flip and cook for another minute.  Remove and set on cookie sheet.  I used a slotted spoon for this.

Place sesame seeds on a plate and put milk in a small bowl.  Using a pastry brush, wipe each bagel with milk and then press firmly in sesame seeds.  Return to baking sheets and cook for 20 minutes, flipping after 10 minutes.  Transfer to cooling racks and let cool.

Make sure you also check out these girls and their bagel adventures:

Adventures of A Gluten-Free Mom

Creative Cooking Gluten-Free

Have you been on a bagel adventure?  Do tell!

Amy @ Simplpy Sugar & Gluten-Free June 2, 2010 at 7:06 am

Maggie – I am thrilled to have you share your talent with my readers. I have adored you from day one and am looking forward to our friendship as it grows. You have a lot to offer the gluten-free blogging world so please keep doing what you do best. Many hugs.

Maggie June 3, 2010 at 7:00 pm

Amy – thanks so much for your comment. I love working with you and can’t wait to meet face-to-face one day soon!

Heidi Kelly June 2, 2010 at 8:13 am

Beautiful Maggie! I love the sesame seed topping you added. I have been wanting to make more bagels with an “Everything” topping, those were my favorite back in the day.

xo

Maggie June 3, 2010 at 7:01 pm

Heidi – Thank you! The sesame seed topping was so easy. You could use poppy seeds too. I’d love to do a cinnamon variation as well. Possibilities are endless!

gfe--gluten free easily June 2, 2010 at 10:26 am

Awesome job, Maggie! As I commented over at your post on Amy’s blog, I haven’t missed bagels, but now I want one. Badly!

Maggie June 3, 2010 at 7:01 pm

Shirley – I’m glad I brought back your bagel love :)

Alisa June 2, 2010 at 10:42 am

So great that you made these gluten-free! I really need to try making bagels one of these days.

Maggie June 3, 2010 at 7:02 pm

Thanks Alisa – It was so much easier than I thought it would be. It just takes a good chunk of your day. So worth it though!

Sophie @ yumventures June 3, 2010 at 6:09 am

I have been hunting for a good gf bagel recipe! I can’t wait to try these :)

Jenn June 6, 2010 at 3:55 am

I made these last night, they were awesome! Blog post to come shortly – I made a sundried tomato & Italian herb version :)

Maggie June 6, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Yay Jenn! Thanks so much for stopping by and letting us know. Can’t wait to see your variation. Let me know when it’s up and I’ll link to your post in this one.

Susan July 14, 2010 at 9:59 pm

Wow! I love your blog so much! I found you through Amy’s blog, which I found through GFGoddess’ blog, and I am just so happy about it. You rock!

I have missed bagels so much since going Gluten Free! I was wondering, can you substitute the sugar with Agave Nectar or Honey? Just curious. I would think you could, but I am not super recipe substitute savvy.

Maggie July 19, 2010 at 7:12 am

Thanks so much Susan, I’m glad you found Amy and I. I adore Amy and her blog. Karina’s too of course! I think you definitely could sub out the sugar. I haven’t tried it but I would love it if you report back once you do. Have a great day!

Zoe September 27, 2010 at 11:01 pm

I thought I recognised your blog! I mentioned these on my old blog, but I still haven’t tried them. But I will, a bagel would be so amazing!

Maggie September 28, 2010 at 5:18 am

Thanks Zoe! I am glad you came back and I hope you try the bagels. They’re a bit of a production the first time through, but soooo worth it!