What’s your afternoon snack?
I was chatting on the phone with my friend Danielle when she told me about the little snack she was enjoying – a dairy-free smoothie with almond butter and dates.
What? Almond butter and dates? Are you kidding me? In a shake?
I knew I had to try it. I’ve been indulging in dates whenever that lovely little sweet tooth shouts, “Hey YOU! Sweets, now!“ Dates do the trick every time. Quiets her right down.
There’s another problem though. I usually need a snack of some sort in between lunch and dinner and 2 dates just doesn’t cut it. Normally I would have some crackers or some rice chips. I know, I should have a handful of almonds. But I don’t want a handful of almonds. I want something tasty and something that will fill me.
And now, thanks to Danielle, I have my afternoon snack. And it’s so packed with goodness. Yummy, healthy goodness. My kind of snack.
Callum and Livvie are of course hooked on this shake too. In fact, anyone who tries it will like it.
I call this a milkshake because it tastes like a delicious milkshake, not a healthy smoothie. Try this. You will wish you had my mailing address so you could send me a thank you bouquet of flowers.
Almond Dream Milkshake
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk (any milk would do)
- 4 tablespoons almond butter
- 1/2 to 3/4 of a frozen banana
- 6 medjool dates (pitted and soaked for at least 5 minutes in boiling water)
- 3 ice cubes (more if you want a thick milkshake
1. Place all of your ingredients in a large cup (we use an immersion blender) or blender.
2. Blend until you’ve got a nice thick-ish milkshake. Your straw won’t stand up straight but it will be nice and thick. And creamy. And sweet. And. And. And.
Yield: 2 dreamy milkshakes
Trust me on this one! If you don’t have the ingredients, get them!