Almond Dream Milkshake

by Maggie on June 8, 2010

What’s your afternoon snack?

I was chatting on the phone with my friend Danielle when she told me about the little snack she was enjoying – a dairy-free smoothie with almond butter and dates.

What?  Almond butter and dates?  Are you kidding me?  In a shake?

I knew I had to try it.  I’ve been indulging in dates whenever that lovely little sweet tooth shouts, “Hey YOU!  Sweets, now!”  Dates do the trick every time.  Quiets her right down.

There’s another problem though. I usually need a snack of some sort in between lunch and dinner and 2 dates just doesn’t cut it.  Normally I would have some crackers or some rice chips.  I know, I should have a handful of almonds.  But I don’t want a handful of almonds.  I want something tasty and something that will fill me.

And now, thanks to Danielle, I have my afternoon snack.  And it’s so packed with goodness.  Yummy, healthy goodness.  My kind of snack.

Callum and Livvie are of course hooked on this shake  too.  In fact, anyone who tries it will like it.

I call this a milkshake because it tastes like a delicious milkshake, not a healthy smoothie.  Try this.  You will wish you had my mailing address so you could send me a thank you bouquet of flowers.

Almond Dream Milkshake

• 2 cups unsweetened almond milk (any milk would do)
  • 4 tablespoons almond butter
  • 1/2 to 3/4 of a frozen banana
  • 6 medjool dates (pitted and soaked for at least 5 minutes in boiling water)
  • 3 ice cubes (more if you want a thick milkshake

1. Place all of your ingredients in a large cup (we use an immersion blender) or blender.
2. Blend until you’ve got a nice thick-ish milkshake.  Your straw won’t stand up straight but it will be nice and thick.  And creamy.  And sweet.  And.  And.  And.

Yield: 2 dreamy milkshakes

Trust me on this one!  If you don’t have the ingredients, get them!

gfe--gluten free easily June 8, 2010 at 7:45 am

That is a dream “milkshake” for sure! I’ve used dates in smoothies and loved them. And, the other ingredients. Few, but fine. I’m just imagining how wonderful this tastes, Maggie. Yum. Thanks so much for sharing it!

Martina June 8, 2010 at 8:37 am

Yummers! I’ve made this before with the addition of raw cocoa powder to make it a chocolate-y treat! (Also, I’ve added spinach, but that doesn’t make it chocolate-y…but still good and a great way to sneak green in!

Aubree Cherie June 8, 2010 at 1:16 pm

It DOES look pretty amazing! I love all the ingredients you used, so I’m sure it must be a keeper! :) I made a lot of shakes too, so I’m sure I can sneak this one in sometime :D

~Aubree Cherie

Amanda June 8, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Okay – dying to try this one… it has all of my favourite things!

Amy @ Simplpy Sugar & Gluten Free June 8, 2010 at 9:41 pm

I wonder if I could take out the banana and add coffee ice cubes? It’s been so hot in TX and I’ve been thinking about iced coffee.

Looks delish, Maggie. :) Thanks for sharing it at SIT!

Ellen @ I Am Gluten Free June 9, 2010 at 9:04 am

Yum. Love it. Try it with homemade almond butter (see my recipe for almond butter at http://iamglutenfree.blogspot.com/2010/04/buffalo-tofu-with-dairy-free-ranch.html). Thx! What a great and filling snack. Healthy, too!

Desiree Fawn June 9, 2010 at 10:07 pm

Oh wow, looks tasty!
We’ll definitely be giving this a go sometime this week!

Alisa June 10, 2010 at 10:19 pm

I make an almost identical smoothie, but with more frozen banana – I am a banana addict! Love it!!

Jenni June 14, 2010 at 3:36 pm

LOVE dates in smoothies…By the way, if you have a high-powered blender, such as a Vita Mix you can skip the step where you put them in boiling water…
Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Aubree Cherie June 16, 2010 at 5:35 am

Hey Maggie, Just wanted to let you know I linked this to my fav recipes from last week! :)

~Aubree Cherie

megs June 17, 2010 at 12:07 pm

yummy!! just made one and am very happy about it! wonder what it would taste like with vanilla almond milk….Mags, have you tried it that way before?

Lindsey June 21, 2010 at 1:58 pm

I want to get the ingredients! Tell me more about medjool dates when you have a second! XO

Lindsey July 9, 2010 at 8:09 pm

DELICIOUS!!!!

carrie @ gingerlemongirl.com May 2, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Just made a quickie version of this maggie after jenniferinga shared this on twitter. I didn’t have banana so i just used a lot of ice and added some chocolate syrup (cuz i’m addicted) and a touch of cinnamon (cuz i’m addicted lol) and had to use chopped dried dates since i had them in mypantry… still very awesome for such a simple smoothie! thank you, i needed something soothing this afternoon!