Dairy-Free Sweet Cashew Cream

by Maggie on May 3, 2010

Pete and I have become slightly addicted to cashew sour cream.

I always go to Kelly at The Spunky Coconut for her recipe which she uses on pizza and other delightful dishes.  I tweak her recipe a little bit based on the ingredients we have in the house.  It’s such a great recipe and I strongly suggest you try it for yourself.

It always takes me a while to try something new like this.  It sits in my head for a few weeks (right now making my own sprouts is sitting in there) as I contemplate it.  Finally I bit the bullet and tried it.

Cashew sour cream rocks!  And it’s really easy to make as long as you plan ahead enough to soak your cashews – though I have read that if you have a really good blender (like a Vitamix) or food processor, you don’t need to soak your nuts first.

Alas, I have an 10 year old food processor that isn’t up for that challenge so I soak my cashews overnight (easy though).  Then all I have to do is throw the cashews and some other ingredients in the food processor and blend away.

Last week I found a recipe for Raspberry Sour Cream Cupcakes (OMG) and I really wanted to try to gluten-free and dairy-free them.  So I came up with a recipe for sweet cashew cream using Kelly’s recipe as my starting point (yay Kelly!).

It is a delightful little dairy-free treat that works wonders as a sour cream substitute in baked goods.  But this recipe would also be great with pancakes, waffles, or mixed in with some homemade granola.

Sweet Cashew Cream

The recipe for the cupcakes will come later!  Right now they’re more like a sweet muffin so I’m working on that angle instead. Stay tuned!

1 1/2 cups raw cashews (soaked)

3-4 tbsp fresh lemon juice

1/4 cup water

4 tbsp real maple syrup (or agave or honey)

Place the cashews in a bowl.  Cover with water and soak overnight (or at least 6-8 hours).  I always cover mine with a lid while they’re soaking.

Once the cashews have soaked, drain and rinse cashews well, then place in a food processor with the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.  I usually walk away and let the ingredients blend for 3-5 minutes, stopping once or twice to wipe the sides.

Voila!  You have sweet cashew cream.  The possibilities are endless.

I also used some of the sweet cashew cream in the frosting for the cupcakes.  It was so good.  I used my usual recipe for frosting.

You can also find this recipe and many more ‘slightly indulgent’ recipes at Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free

And this recipe is also linked to Blogger Secret Ingredient

Have you tried Cashew Cream?  What did you pair it with?

Kelly May 4, 2010 at 10:28 am

Thank you so much for the shout-out! You’re awesome! The possibilities ARE endless, aren’t they?!

May I post your photo and a link back here on my blog in the next few days? xoxo, Kelly

Maggie May 4, 2010 at 10:52 am

Of course you can! Thanks for stopping by Kelly. I’d be honoured to have a pic on your blog :)

Deanna May 4, 2010 at 10:57 am

I’m super addicted to cashew cream of all sorts, too. We’ve been eating a lot of this one lately: http://themommybowl.com/2010/03/cilantro-lime-cashew-cream/ Sometimes, we add half an avocado for a sort of sour cream guacamole effect.

I’ve not done a sweet version, though. I’ll have to try yours!

Maggie May 4, 2010 at 11:19 am

Deanna, me too – I think the addiction begins the minute you taste it! Yours looks delish. I adore avocado! Thanks for stopping by Deanna.

Aubree Cherie May 4, 2010 at 11:05 am

Oh yum! This sounds amazing. I also can’t wait to see what you come up with for the cupcake. The whole package sounds pretty irresistible.

And not that this will sway you either way, but I’ve done my own sprouts a lot before and its definitely worth it! Sprouts from the grocery are really expensive and they aren’t always that fresh. Sprouts right out of the jar are hard to beat I think!

You should definitely submit this to the Blogger Secret Ingredient Challenge with Cashews :)

~Aubree Cherie

Amanda May 4, 2010 at 11:36 am

I just love the two words ‘cashew’ and ‘cream’… put them together… sounds even better! ;)

gfe--gluten free easily May 5, 2010 at 11:42 am

Since I’ve returned to eating dairy free, this cashew cream of Kelly’s is more appealing than ever. Thanks for reminding me of it and sharing your sour cream recipe. Great looking cupcake, Maggie!

Alisa May 10, 2010 at 11:52 am

I simply love cashew cream. It is a staple in my house. That frosting version looks marvelous!

Maggie May 10, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Thanks Alisa! I think I am addicted to cashew cream. I’m finding myself thinking of old recipes that will be new recipes once I add some cashew cream. And now I can try oat milk thanks to you!

Megan December 12, 2010 at 4:40 pm

This is such a great idea, Maggie. I recently discovered your blog and really enjoy your recipes!

Maggie December 13, 2010 at 7:19 am

Hey Megan – Thanks! It’s pretty darn yummy!

Debbie April 16, 2013 at 5:52 pm

I found your above recipe for Sweet Cashew Cream. OMG!!! It is crazy good!
About a month ago I got blood work results that confirmed I cannot have ANY dairy products. Since I just about lived off it, it was devastating. It was a sweet gal who works at Whole Foods who told me about cashew cream when I asked her about the quality of their non-dairy sour cream offerings. So, I just made a batch of the Sour Cream one you referred to, and a batch of yours. I added a little bit of vanilla extract, and used honey and a bit of Stevia to sweeten it. It turned out AMAZINGLY good. It’s a very thick frosting texture. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I am learning so much right now, and this has been my most exciting discovery so far!!!! Hallelujah!!!!

Maggie April 17, 2013 at 7:30 am

Yay! Thanks so much for coming back and letting me know Debbie. I know all about dairy-free discoveries :)
Have a great day,
Maggie

Bunny September 23, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Do i drain the water off the nuts before blending? thanks

Maggie September 23, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Yes Bunny, sorry! This is an older recipe. My recipe writing skills have improved :) I updated the post to make it clear – it’s important to drain and rinse well. The soaking removes enzyme inhibitors which makes the nuts easier to digest. Hope this helps!