Quinoa Banana Muffins

by Maggie on April 4, 2010

You will thank me for these muffins, so hurry up and get the ingredients so you can make them!

I’m on a bit of a quinoa flour kick right now.  Might be because I just spent $80 on a gigantic bag!

You have to be careful when adding quinoa flour to your baked goods – they can quickly get a bitter taste (in my opinion).  Some people don’t even like the taste at all!

But quinoa is so good for you. It’s irresistible!

I’ve been using quinoa flour in my bread lately (replacing the garfava flour) and we are loving how light and fluffy the bread is.

I’m going to throw this out there: quinoa is my favourite gluten-free flour!

I’ve been wanting to convert this banana muffin recipe for a while now. Callum used to LOVE these muffins in his gluten and egg-filled days.

I originally got the recipe from my friend’s mom (we call her Linda Lou). She used to make big batches of her banana muffins and send them back to university with us. Such a yummy treat for starving students.

I was surprised at how easy they were to convert, or de-gluten and de-dairy and de-egg. The original recipe uses wheat, butter, and eggs!

Please try this recipe. I think you will love it. The muffins were delicious and light. Callum and Liv snacked on them all day.

Gluten-Free & Vegan Quinoa Banana Muffins

3/4 cup quinoa flour
1/2 cup brown rice or sorghum flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour or potato starch
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp guar gum or xanthan gum
1 tsp cinnamon
2 and 1/2 tbsp ground flax seed combined with 3 tbsp of warm water (this replaces one egg)
1/3 cup melted coconut oil
(I measured it when melted in a dry measuring cup; you could also use melted butter)
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup sugar (cane or coconut palm sugar
work well)
3 ripe bananas mashed with 3 tbsp of hot water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line muffin pans with cupcake liners or wipe with oil to prevent sticking.

Combine flours, baking soda, guar gum, and cinnamon in a medium-sized bowl.

In a small bowl combine the ground flax with the 3 tbsp of warm water. In the bowl of your mixer combine melted coconut oil, ground flax mixture, vanilla, and cane sugar.  Mix on medium speed until well combined.

Gradually add the flour mixture, alternating with the mashed banana, to the wet ingredients.  Do not over-stir.  Now would be a good time to add chocolate chips if you’re a ‘chocolate chips in muffins’ kinda person.  They would be perfect in this recipe.

Bake regular-sized muffins for 20 minutes.  Mini muffins for 10 minutes ( I did a combo – 2 trays of mini muffins for the babes and six regular-sized muffins for Pete and I).

So, are you a ‘chocolate chips in muffins’ kind of person?

You can also find this recipe and many more ‘slightly indulgent’ recipes at Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free

Iris April 5, 2010 at 7:06 am

They look delicious!

gfe--gluten free easily April 5, 2010 at 7:05 pm

I love easy, successful conversions, Maggie. I like chocolate chips in muffins, but usually try to keep them healthier. I’ve added the chocolate chips when gifting muffins though … just to make them irresistible–especially to the younger ones. And, I have yet to get quinoa flour. How big a bag does $80 buy? I need to try a small amount first though … to make sure I don’t have any issues. I like quinoa and do well with it as is though.

Heidi Kelly April 5, 2010 at 7:48 pm

Maggie, these look great, I will have to try them! BTW, that “bitter” taste you mentioned, I like to call it “barn.” :-)

((Hugs))

Heidi

Aubree Cherie April 5, 2010 at 7:49 pm

I really need to jump on the quinoa bandwagon. If only I could spend all my income on gluten free food, I’d be one happy camper!

These muffins look fantastic! Definitely light and fluffy, the best kind of muffins in my opinion.

I might just have to suck it up and head down to pick up some quinoa flour now… sigh :P

Christa April 7, 2010 at 7:06 pm

These turned out great Maggie, the texture was wonderful and I will definitely be adding chocolate chips next time. Thank you!

Shannon April 16, 2010 at 7:08 am

Oh my gosh, these are so good! I didn’t think anything could top the buckwheat carrot muffins, but I have to say these are our new favourite! Thanks for the recipe.

Emily May 9, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Mmmm Mmmm Good. I tried this recipe with an all gluten-free all purpose baking flour and it worked out! I also added the chocolate chips because I have always been a sucker for them. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!

It’s a new favourite!

Kim Corrigan-Oliver July 1, 2010 at 8:34 am

Hi Maggie, just thougt I would let you know that I am in love with these muffins and so is my little man. I have always replaced the cane sugar with coconut sugar and they are delish.

This morning I made two batches, the first batch I made as I usually do, and as always delicious. The second batch I decided to try some coconut flour that I had picked up and hadn’t tried yet. When mixing the batter they looked a little think so I did add a few more tablespoons of water. Well they are delish too! I thought coming out of the oven they looked a little heavy, but after the first bite very moist.

A hit in this house.

kelsey August 3, 2010 at 7:22 pm

Calories in the muffins?

J. Darling September 23, 2010 at 1:14 am

OMG! So we are working on figuring out our 8 month old daughter’s allergies…this was my first attempt at GF/DF baking. Thank you for making it easy and painless! The only thing that makes her happier is seeing her daddy…and I’ve only made them twice. She could tell I was making them tonight and would not stop screaming till she got one!

I LOVE YOU! Seriously it is the only thing I can get her to eat regularly…well besides nursing.

I plan on trying it with apple puree (since we have 3 trees) and maybe even pumpkin instead of the bananas, will let you know how it goes…ground up the rice and quinoa in the vita mix so it was sandy the first time till I froze the muffins but that didn’t bother the kids, consensus was I did not grind the rice fine enough.

Elizabeth November 16, 2010 at 8:00 am

I made these over the weekend but turned the muffins into mini loaves. I reduced the temp to 325 degrees and baked for about 35 minutes. So delicious! I am supposed to save the banana bread for my snack for the whole week…..but I am struggling. Should have made a double batch! :) I am not egg free, so I did use an egg instead of the substitute.

Carolyn Savage January 28, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Hey Mags – going to try these next as we LOVE banana baked goods in this house. My only Q is what temp did you bake them at? With any other “typical” recipe I’d just wing it but with ingredients I’m not used to, I don’t want to chance it so thought I better ask. I don’t think you mentioned it but maybe I’m missing it. Thanks – will let you know how they turn out.

Lynne April 16, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Made the quinoa banana muffins last weekend and added the chocolate chips. They were delicious but a little sweet. I felt that they were begging for raisins or walnuts so that is what I will try next time. Froze the muffins that we didn’t eat right away and have been eating them all week. Awesome!!!

Tabatha July 28, 2011 at 10:51 am

I’ve tried every gf quinoa muffin recipe out there. This is, by far, the best. The quinoa isn’t overwhelming, and the muffins aren’t dry, or too heavy. The only complaint is I didn’t like all of the sugar. I cut it to less than 1/4 cup. Bananas are one of the sweetest fruits, so extra sugar wasn’t needed for us. I also added frozen organic blueberries :-)

Darlene September 18, 2012 at 6:05 pm

I just wanted to say that last summer I babysat for my friends kids(ages 6 & 4) and one needs to be gluten free and the other dairy free. So it was hard to take them out for a treat to one place so they could both be happy. I found your recipe and decided to try it to see if the boys liked them. They were a HIT!! They asked me to try different fruits. So I substituted apples, strawberries and mangos for the bananas. They loved them all! Thanks for the recipe!!

Theresa September 30, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Just made these tonight and they are fabulous! Love the light and fluffy texture. Next time I’ll throw in some chocolate chips, dried cranberries or maybe blueberries.

We have to avoid gluten, dairy, soy and nuts. It was fabulous not having to substitute a thing. This recipe was so easy! THANK YOU!

Oh and I used an egg instead of flax since it’s one of the few top 8 the kids can eat! :-)

Kirsten January 10, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Hi Maggie,
Tried these muffins tonight and they were delicious! Everyone loved them. Even the doubting sister whose favourite new line is “Is this Jack’s food?” gobbled them up. Can’t wait to try more of your recipes :) Have a great weekend!

Amy May 20, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Hi!
Made these tonight modified it a bit change the sugar to agave 1/2 cup and added the chocolate chips and made 3 mini loafs cooked for 20 minutes. Might add a few minutes the next time. They will surely be a weekly recepie in my house. Thanks for this wonderful site.

megs June 3, 2013 at 8:58 am

I made these yesterday for my 14 month old babe, I wanted to try without the sugar…so I left it out and added about an eighth of a cup more flour and maybe a tbsp of apple sauce! Boy, did he love them! He devoured a full size muffin….shoving more into his mouth before swallowing what was already in there! Needless to say, I will be making them again, and the sugar was not missed!!! I sent some to daycare this morning for all the kids to share!

Catherine July 7, 2013 at 3:09 pm

I can’t thank you enough for these muffins! My daughter went off gluten, dairy and eggs about 2 months ago and these have been my “go to/make ahead/throw in the freezer for whenever we need them” muffin. I have been making them double chocolate with cocoa powder and a couple extra tbs of water because my daughter is a big chocolate girl :). Actually, both my daughters love them (even my picky “I don’t eat gluten free food” daughter). I am also in LOVE with your chocolate peanut butter power bars. Thank you, thank you, thank you…please keep the recipes coming. You have truly given me a twinkle of hope in this new daunting journey!

bob August 4, 2013 at 4:18 am

I made these tonight with a few changes: Lowered the sugar to 1/2 cup as some people commented that they were too sweet, I added a little apple puree as I didn’t have quite enough banana or coconut oil, added a little cornstarch as I didn’t have enough tapioca, and added some frozen blueberries and raspberries that needed using up. I made them as mini muffins, and took them to church for supper, and they were a hit! None left, and people who can eat whatever they like commented on how much they liked them. Thanks for a great recipe, Maggie =)

P.S. I used bananas I had previously mashed and frozen, so I looked at your banana bread recipe, and it said that 3 medium bananas were 1 cup. I used 1 cup of mashed banana for this recipe, would you agree that is right, Maggie?

Charu November 7, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Just made this one for my kiddo. He loved helping me and it turned out great. We used coconut sugar and sprinkled sunflower seeds on top and they were delicious! Thanks, Maggie for yet another great recipe! Your recipes are the only ones that I haven’t had any failures yet. That’s why I am so enthusiastic to compliment you every time.

Sophie March 12, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Hi thanks for the recipe. I used an egg and butter and put a teaspoon of physillum husks instead if the guar gum and they were delicious. The kids loved them.