Go Ahead Honey, It’s Gluten-Free Scones

by Maggie on April 26, 2010

I love scones.  Sweet.  Savory.  It doesn’t matter.

They are a perfect morning treat any time of the year.

With Mother’s Day coming up, wouldn’t these be a delightful addition to a breakfast in bed tray (along with a little bit of bubbly of course)?

My ideal breakfast in bed tray would look like this: a dish of strawberries and raspberries, a smoothie, french toast with real maple syrup, a sweet scone, and a glass of bubbly to celebrate me!   Yes, bring on the carbs!  But it’s Mother’s Day and I like carbs!

I have taken these sweet little scones (gluten-free and gluten-full) to many a brunch.  Regardless of how you serve them, they will disappear quickly!  Betcha can’t have just one!

Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free & Egg-Free Sweet Scones

(Adapted from a Canadian Living recipe)

1 cup millet flour

3/4 cup brown rice/sorghum flour

1/2 cup tapioca flour

2 tbsp cane sugar (you can make a sugar-free version by omitting the cane sugar)

1/2 tsp guar/xanthan gum

3 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp sea salt

1/2 cup room temperature coconut oil (not melted)

1/2 cup dried fruit or fresh fruit

1 cup unsweetened almond milk mixed with 1 tsp vinegar (any milk would work)

2-3 tbsp additional almond milk, for brushing

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.  Line a tray with parchment or a silpat.

In a large bowl combine the flours, sugar, guar gum, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt.  Using a pastry blender, cut in the coconut oil until the mixture resembles mainly small crumbs.  Stir in the dried fruit.

Add vinegar to the 1 cup of almond milk to create a dairy-free buttermilk.  Stir and let sit for a minute.

Add almond milk and vinegar mixture to the dry ingredients, using a fork to combine the ingredients.

Knead the dough ten times on a floured surface.  If your dough it too sticky, add some extra brown rice or millet flour to make it easier to work with.

Pat the dough into a 2 cm thick round.  Using a 6 cm round cookie cutter (or a cup), cut out rounds.  Place on prepared baking sheet.  Repeat with any remaining scraps of dough.

Brush tops of the scones with almond milk and bake in 425 degree oven for 12-15 minutes.  Transfer to a rack to cool.

Serve with jam or butter.  Makes 8-10 scones.  These are best served on the day they’re made, but don’t worry because they don’t take too long to make.

I have submitted this scone recipe to the monthly round up of gluten-free recipes called Go Ahead Honey, It’s Gluten-Free.  The theme for this month’s round-up is Breakfast in Bed.  Thank you to Naomi for hosting!

You can also find this recipe and many more ‘slightly indulgent’ recipes at Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free

What does your ideal breakfast in bed tray look like?

mom April 26, 2010 at 10:47 am

My ideal breakfast in bed tray would consist of some of these scones (warmed please), orange juice, a bowl of fruit and a cup of Nespresso coffee. (oh and some bubbly of course) :)

Lari Langley Taylor April 27, 2010 at 6:47 am

Question – if I wanted to make them gluten-free, but not dairy free, do I use butter instead of coconut oil? We use almond milk instead of cows milk already… And what is guar gum? What does it replace in a regular scone recipe? Do you know?

gfe--gluten free easily April 27, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Wonderful, Maggie! I’ll plan on making these for our group’s tea next month. I love that they are gf, df, and easily made sugar free. :-)

Thanks so much … great timing as I’ve been planning in my head for this event!

Iris April 27, 2010 at 8:03 pm

I like carbs too. :)

Any suggestions for what to use instead of coconut oil? I’m mildly allergic. These look like something I would make…

Aubree Cherie May 3, 2010 at 5:32 am

These look tasty! I’ve not had a scone for a really long time! Thanks for the comment about omitting the cane sugar. Do you recommend adding something else as a sweetener, or does the addition of fruit make it sweet enough? Thanks!!!

~Aubree Cherie

Chelsey May 3, 2010 at 9:02 pm

Good job on making them gluten free/ dairy free. They look light, fluffy and delicious. Wouldn’t they go perfectly with a cup of chai?!

Shall we?

Cheers!

Ellen Allard May 4, 2010 at 6:58 am

I can’t wait to try these. I’ve made at least 6 different gluten free scone recipes and none of them were satisfying – they were all too dry. These look wonderful, at least from the picture. Thank you!!!

Ellen

Jenn May 4, 2010 at 11:21 am

Wow these are gorgeous!!

Gail May 4, 2010 at 2:17 pm

I can’t believe it I have been searching all weekend for a good scone recipe, being in the U.K in the summer, on holiday, you have to have cream teas which include the scone so I cannot wait to try these.

Thanks

What other flour would you sub for millet?

Gerald July 31, 2010 at 1:06 am

I am giving a series of English tea parties here in Lausanne, Switzerland.

I would love to find someone who could make and supply scones.

Can you help?

Thanks.

Sophie December 30, 2010 at 2:53 am

I made these tasty scones & used dried blueberries in them,..they were awesome & so tasty too, Maggie!

thanks!

saleha seedat December 10, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Hi
Thanks for sharing the recipe. I’ve made this twice using a different GF flour mix(2 parts flour:1 part tapioca), followed the rest of your recipe but the scones don’t rise like wheat flour scones do. Is this how GF flour scones bake or am I doing something wrong?
I’d appreciate any tips.