Buckwheat Quinoa Sandwich Bread

by Maggie on April 19, 2010

I am having fun playing with my original bread recipe.

The thing is, I make bread for us at least once a week so I tend to get bored making the same recipe every time.  Variety is the spice of life, non?

So I’ve started playing around with our bread.  I’ve been using more quinoa flour and less bean flour.  I much prefer the quinoa flavour to the garfava flavour.

My latest combination is a dense bread, a little more weighty than the other bread recipes.  It doesn’t rise quite as much, but it has depth and a glorious flavour.  If you have yet to bake your own gluten-free bread, I think it’s time!

Remember, most gluten-free, egg-free, and dairy-free bread recipes are more like batters.  You won’t knead these with your hands so you must have a mixer of some sort (a very good reason to buy a KitchenAid mixer don’t ya think?).

I shouldn’t have to beg you to try baking your own gluten-free bread.  But please, please, please bake your own gluten-free bread.  It’s so worth it and it’s not that hard!  The hardest part is the donation of your time. You have to stay home for three hours so you can let the bread rise and then bake the bread.  The making part is easy.  Trust me!

Buckwheat Quinoa Sandwich Bread (Gluten-Free, Egg-Free & Dairy-Free)

This time I wanted to try buckwheat flour (have you tried the buckwheat muffins?)  The result was delightful and very wheat-y, if you will.  This makes a great sandwich bread and doesn’t taste at all like the frozen gluten-free cardboard bread you’re used to eating.

• 1 1/4 cups warm water (100-115 degrees f)
  • 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
  • 5 tbsp ground flax seed mixed with water to equal 3/4 cup water
  • 3 tbsp sunflower oil (any vegetable oil should do, I’m going to try coconut oil soon)
  • 3 tbsp real maple syrup/agave/honey (I usually use maple syrup)
  • 1 cup buckwheat flour
  • 1/2 cup quinoa flour
  • 2/3 cup potato starch
  • 1 cup tapioca starch
  • 1/4 cup almond meal
  • 1 tbsp xanthan gum/guar gum
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 1/2 tsp sea salt

1. Heat the water and pour it into your mixing bowl.  Add the yeast and allow it to proof for 5 minutes.  You will see it puff up.  It’s reassuring to see that poof.  If you don’t see it, start over!
2. Add the ground flax to a liquid measuring cup.  Add water to equal 3/4 cup of a flax-water mixture.  Stir and let sit while the yeast is proofing.
3. When the yeast and water mixture has proofed, add the oil, real maple syrup (or honey/agave) and the flax mixture.
4. In a medium-sized bowl, thoroughly combine the dry ingredients (I usually do this while my yeast is proofing).  Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and combine.  Mix on medium speed for 5 minutes (if you’re lucky you have a KitchenAid mixer to do this for you!).  I usually stop my mixer once to wipe down the sides.  If you don’t have a KitchenAid or another type of mixer, I would stir (by hand) for at least 10 minutes.
5. At 5 minutes in your mixer, you will have a fairly wet batter – not your typical bread dough.  Remember! It’s gluten-free bread we’re working with here.
6. Scrape the batter into two bread pans (8 x 4 inch).  Let the loaves sit covered for at least 1 hour.
7. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Bake 1 loaf for 45 – 50 minutes (check at the 45 minute mark since oven temperatures can vary so much).  The second loaf should go into the fridge covered until it’s ready for the oven. Refrigerating will slow down the yeast.
8. Use a knife or a cake tester to check loaves for done-ness.  You want to go right to the bottom of the loaf to check for wet ingredients.
9. Let loaves cool in pan for at least ten minutes (until pans are cool enough to touch) on a wire rack, then carefully remove from pan and let cool completely on wire rack.

UPDATE: Want to use a bread machine for this recipe?  Read Ellen’s comments below (in the comment section) and you can!

Have you tried baking gluten-free bread yet?  What’s holding you back?

Laurie @ DomesticProductions April 20, 2010 at 7:49 am

I need to try this out, haven’t made actual gf bread, only quick bread. I really like the flours used. Thanks for sharing.

Maggie April 20, 2010 at 8:05 am

Great! Thanks for commenting Laurie. Please come back and let me know how it turned out.

Heidi Kelly April 20, 2010 at 10:12 am

Maggie,

Those are some beautiful photos! I could just take a bite from a few thousand miles away! :-)

Maggie April 20, 2010 at 6:24 pm

Thanks Heidi – I’ll bring you a loaf some day! I have photo envy of you too – love your play-by-play shots :)

Iris April 20, 2010 at 5:56 pm

Can you believe I’ve still never made a gluten free bread? I would really like to try this recipe once classes are done and I have more time.

Maggie April 20, 2010 at 6:24 pm

Iris! You need to bake some bread. It might change your life!

Holly April 20, 2010 at 6:00 pm

Looks amazing. Just started eating gluten free and it’s harder than I thought it would be. Can’t wait to try this bread out!!!

Maggie April 20, 2010 at 6:25 pm

Thanks for stopping by Holly! I hope you come back and let us know how your bread turns out.

Lindsay at Kitchen Operas April 21, 2010 at 9:09 pm

Mmm, I just tried and posted about a gluten-free quickbread this week with Quinoa and Buckwheat, sounds like great minds think alike ;)

I was wondering how the same flavours would work in a “real”, yeasted bread that requires rise time… and you’ve answered my question. I will have to try this out, thanks!

Maggie April 22, 2010 at 9:39 am

Hi Lindsay – Thanks for commenting! I will have to look at your recipe for the quickbread. We love this combo in the yeasted bread – I just made more last night!

JT April 22, 2010 at 8:14 am

I’m game for trying this on an upcoming order. Not sure about my buckwheat tolerance but ready to try.

Maggie April 22, 2010 at 9:40 am

Hi JT! Okay, let me know when you’re ready!

Aubree Cherie April 27, 2010 at 8:21 am

I’m always on the lookout for a great sandwich bread, this looks excellent! All my tried recipes so far have egg, this’ll be a fun one to add to the ‘try’ list.

Also, I linked to this recipe with my Top Ten Recipes of Last week!

~Aubree Cherie

Shannon April 28, 2010 at 5:41 am

Any chance this could be made in a bread maker on a gluten free setting?

Maggie April 28, 2010 at 6:18 am

Hi Shannon – I don’t know about using a bread maker. It’s so easy doing it without though. I know Amy from Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free has a bread machine recipe. Maybe check her instructions and see if you can apply it to this bread recipe? I would love it if you tried it and then left a comment – or I could even add your instructions to the original post. Thanks Shannon!

Ellen Allard May 4, 2010 at 7:25 am

I think you could easily make this in a bread machine. Check the instructions for your particular machine to see in what order the dry and wet ingredients are added. In my machine, for example, I add the liquids first, followed by the dry ingredients. If I were making this bread recipe, I would proof the yeast in the 1 1/4 cups warm water (in a measuring cup or small bowl). Once it’s proofed, add to the bread machine pan with the flax mixture (5 tbsp ground flax mixed with water to equal 3/4 cup water), 3 tbsp sunflower oil and 3 tbsp real maple syrup/agave/honey. Mix with spatula to combine. I would mix the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and then add them to the machine (1 cup buckwheat flour, 1/2 cup quinoa flour, 2/3 cup potato starch, 1 cup tapioca starch, 1/4 cup almond meal, 1 tbsp xanthan gum/guar gum, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 1/2 tsp sea salt). You don’t have to mix the wet and dry ingredients as the machine will do that for you. Choose your machine setting, push start, and you’re set to go. I tend to babysit the machine while the machine mixes and kneads the dough (batter). If any of the mixture sticks to the sides of the pan, I take a wet spatula and coax it from the sides of the pan into the dough that’s being mixed. And when it’s done kneading, just as it’s beginning the rise setting, I take the wet spatula and smooth out the top of the dough (batter). That’s it!

Maggie May 4, 2010 at 7:47 am

Wow! Thanks so much for writing this great set of instructions. I’ll edit the post to point future readers to your comments. Thanks so much Ellen.

Marci Webb July 26, 2010 at 6:18 pm

I tried to write you, Maggie but got “error” I am asking which Kitchen Aid mixer model you recommend. Marci

Marci Webb July 26, 2010 at 6:26 pm

I love this the recipe for Buckwheat Quinoa sandwich bread, but can’t get it to rise like it should. Any suggestions? Which Kitchen Aid mixer model do you recommend for this bread?
Marci

Maggie July 26, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Hey Marci – I have a KitchenAid Artisan (cherry red!). Is your bread rising at all? It won’t rise like wheat or egg breads because of the lack of both. Also, the buckwheat flour weighs it down a little. I would say mine gets to be about 2 inches once baked. Does that help? Let me know and thanks for checking in!

Marci Webb July 27, 2010 at 6:49 am

Thanks, Maggie, for your input! I’m going out for an Artisan today! I am intolerant to all grains so haven’t had a ‘sandwich’ for 12 years. aaugh! This recipe is a Godsend! I had tried using my Cuisinart to mix it and it made the batter too fine: 1 inch bread! Hand mixing worked better, but ugh! Appreciate your fast answer, so now I can go get a mixer and try again! I’m going to try Arrowroot to replace potato starch as I don’t do well with that either. Any other suggestions?
Marci

Maggie July 30, 2010 at 6:29 pm

So? Did you get the artisan? Have you made the bread yet? I find the recipe is really flexible. I play around with the ingredients all the time. I’ve tried eliminating some of the starch with more almond flour and coconut flour. Makes for a denser loaf but still pretty darn yummy. Let me know!

Emma December 20, 2010 at 3:25 pm

hello!
I was looking for gluten free quinoa and buckwheat bread recipes and found this amazing recipe! I have a few question though…
I am on a restricted diet and I can’t eat some of the ingredients.
I have read that tapioca starch can be replaced by arrowroot
what could I replace potato starch with ? or could I just add a bigger amount of arrowrot to compensate for both starches.
I also was wondering if the oil and the flax seed mix were added just for flavour or if they actually have an important function in the recipe (texture of end product etc). I have heard a seed called chia could replace flax seed +water when the flax seed mix is intended to be used as a thickener?
I’m guessing the honey/agave are added as nutrients for the yeast….I’m pretty sure it’s not possible but I’ll ask anyway: Can this bread be made without yeast using other leavening agents?
It is so hard to find “real-like-textured-bread” that is yeast free :S

Anyway, sorry for writing so much and asking so many things xD I absolutely loved the recipe and the pics :) :D keep up the awesome job.

Maggie December 20, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Hi Emma – Definitely replace the tapioca with arrowroot flour. You could try replacing the potato starch with corn starch or more arrowroot (I’ve never tried this though). Flax replaces the eggs so you definitely need some sort of egg replacer. You could try chia too, I’ve never used it as an egg replacer, however I do know that you use much less. I have no idea if it can be made without yeast as I’ve never done that. Sorry! Let me know if you try! Thanks.

Rachelle June 13, 2012 at 9:57 pm

I’ve been making this bread for a year and have tried many subs…… corn starch works in place of potato starch. Chia seeds have worked even better than flax for me.

Maggie June 14, 2012 at 4:47 am

Awesome! Thanks for letting us know Rachelle. I love using chia seeds too! Enjoy and thanks again for your comment :)

Bry January 10, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Thank you for this delicious recipe! I baked it last night – my first venture into making gluten free bread (that isn’t a desert bread – my weakness!) and it came out beautifully! I replaced the potato starch with arrowroot starch (can’t stomach potato) but followed everything else exactly. I’ve gotten so used to the over-priced cardboard-tasting gluten free breads available to buy that when I used this bread for a lunch sandwich it was the most delicious and satisfying sandwich I’ve had in years! Yum!

My only complaint was that the bread loafs came out very short – great for mini sandwiches, but next time I may try using only one loaf pan for normal sized bread slices.

I’m grateful for recipes that are dairy and egg free as well as gluten free so I will be looking for more of your recipes to try! Thanks again!

Maggie January 11, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Hey Bry – Thanks so much! I am so glad it worked well for you. Hooray for mini-sandwiches! I found that the loaves were often uncooked when I used only one loaf pan, but let me know if you try it and have success. Thanks for the note.

Janice January 14, 2011 at 10:21 am

Maggie,
THANK YOU!! My son is grain, egg and dairy intolerant and we just discovered yesterday that he can have buckwheat and quinoa. Today you are our baking angel! He was crying the other day because he said that everyone eats the same things at school for lunch except for him, but today I’m going to surprise him with a pb and jelly sandwich thanks to you! I’m so excited. Thank you again! I’m going to explore more of your blog now.

Maggie January 14, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Hi Janice – Thank you so much for the note. You totally made my weekend :) I am so happy for you and your son! Yay! I’m so glad you shared this with me. Thanks so much!

Nita March 12, 2011 at 4:34 am

Hi Maggie
Thank you so much for this lovely recipe which I had tried out today and it turned out great. Since I did not have xantam gum, I replaced it with milled flaxseed mixed with dried ingredients … I have a grain allergy and have been looking for something to replace my and cereals in the morning for more than 5 years … and now, with this recipe, I can still have bread in the morning. However just out of curiosity, what if I reverse the quantity of quinoa and buckwheat flour, what would the texture be?

BTW, I’m from Malaysia and will definately share this recipe with my friends.

Cheers. Nita

Maggie March 12, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Hi Nita – Thanks so much for sharing the recipe – and for coming to let me know how yours turned out. Yay! Reversing the quinoa would definitely work, I play with this recipe all the time. It really just changes the color and the flavor. It might be a little lighter too. Glad to hear it still works without the gums. I’ve been trying to use gums less so now I know it works with the bread recipe! Have a great weekend!

Cara August 30, 2011 at 1:03 pm

I made two loaves today and just had some toasted with peanut butter. I did not have any flax and could not get to the store so I substituted gf oats. I absolutely love this bread and the texture is fantastic. Also, unlike some other gf breads, this one smelled heavenly when it was baking. I will definitely be baking this again very soon !

Maggie August 31, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Yay Cara! Thank you so much for coming back to share your success with this recipe. I am so happy you loved it. If you didn’t have flax, did you use eggs? Or just the oats? I am curious!

manisha September 20, 2011 at 10:34 am

What can I replace the almond meal with? My daughter is allergic to nuts.

Maggie September 20, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Hi Manisha – Feel free to use more buckwheat instead of almond flour. This recipe is pretty flexible as long as you don’t play with the starches and the gums too much. Let me know how it turns out and how your daughter likes it!

Sy October 24, 2011 at 11:18 am

Can you make the quinoa bread without all of the starches you mention (potato/tapioca). I am trying to really reduce the amount of starch in my breads. Are there substitutes?

Maggie October 24, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Hi Sy – I’ve tried to cut down on the starches, but not completely. You could use all tapioca and the end loaf wouldn’t change too much. You could also try reducing it little by little each time you make the recipe. That’s how I would do it. As for subs, I would try brown rice flour, more quinoa, millet, perhaps garfava. The end result will be a more dense loaf with less rise. If you’ve never baked gf bread before, I would follow the recipe the first time – just so you know what to expect. Then you can play with it from there. Hope this helps! Have a great day.

Elad February 24, 2012 at 9:05 am

Woke up today with an unusual craving for bread (exam period, go figure) and stumbled upon this recipe and your amazing blog. The bread came out beautifull! I used chikpea flour and additional qinoua flour instead of the starches, btw.
Can’t wait to try more of your recipes.

Maggie February 24, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Thanks so much for sharing your subs and success Elad! That’s awesome. I’ve made it without the starches too, it’s much more dense but it still works! Enjoy!
Maggie

Stephanie Vincent May 2, 2012 at 2:38 pm

I have been g.f. for about a year to try and help myself after developing rheumatoid arthritis. Thanks for the inspiration to finally make gluten free bread. I was somewhat of an expert on whole grain bread making, but this is a totally different animal. (My first attempt a few months ago was a very expensive brick, from a cookbook that sounded good) Made your buckwheat quinoa bread and it turned out great, taste and texture of “real” bread! I used coconut oil and maple syrup. Also made it in one loaf pan , a ceramic one- the one the gluten-free goddess recommends (one of my other favorite gluten free sites) Thanks for all your hard work and good ideas, they’ve been really helpful and inspiring to me!

Maggie May 2, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Hi Stephanie – Have you found the gf diet has helped with your rheumatoid arthritis? I have a friend who has it and I’ve been trying to convince her to try a gf diet.
You’re right, gluten-free bread is such a different animal. I LOVED kneading gluten-full bread dough. I miss that part of living gluten-free.
I’m thrilled that this bread recipe turned out for you! Thanks so much for sharing. And I’m honored to be up there with The Gluten-Free Goddess! She was my first favorite gf blog :)
You should also try The Perfect Bread recipe – it’s a great loaf too. I always play with the flowers in my bread recipes as I like to experiment and try new flavors. The end result will obviously change a little, but you still get a good loaf of bread. I’m sure you’re on your way to mastering gluten-free bread!
Happy baking Stephanie!

Stephanie Vincent May 3, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Thanks for the feedback! My next loaf will be The Perfect Bread. Yes, going gluten free has helped with the RA. Your friend should really try it, because anything is worth feeling better when you’re miserable with RA. My cousin, who had Grave’s disease, an autoimmune thyroid disease, told me about being g.f. and the seeming connection with gluten intolerance and autoimmune issues. Makes sense to me. I also have cut dairy out and try to eat meat very rarely. Also want to be sugar free, but dang, that’s the hard one! I like your recipes because they have no dairy, eggs, refined sugar, or gluten. Thanks again for all your efforts. P.S. I enjoyed awesome toast this morning, thanks to you!

Gail July 14, 2012 at 8:16 am

I made this bread this week and can’t believe how lovely a flavor it has and how much it resembles sandwich bread. It has been almost two years now since eating gluten free. Not a celiac but just chose to eat gluten free and feel so much better for it and I have lost 20 pounds and kept it off. I have to say that I loved my bread and miss that the most and have tried so many of these sandwich bread recipes and they never really taste the same. This week I ate this bread with egg salad and it was the best. Better than wheat even. Buckwheat rocks!!

Maggie, I must say that this is as close as it gets and so much better than wheat without the rise. WOW!

For everyone that reads these comments, it is true! All these other folks said it was great, but I was still skeptical because of the many, many loaves of bread I have baked, and was always disappointed.

I have been constantly looking for a buckwheat bread recipe that didn’t have wheat flour in it, and can’t believe what seems like hundreds of times I have Googled buckwheat bread this hadn’t come up, but this week it did. I love it!

I did make a few changes. I added buckwheat in the place of the almond, and I used arrowroot in the place of the tapioca starch and Maggie I used coconut oil instead of sunflower oil. The next time, which will be next week that I make this bread I am going to try the bread machine recipe. I think I am going to cut back 1/2 tsp on the salt as I could taste the salt only because I don’t use extra salt when I bake because I have high blood pressure. I took the quinoa and ground it fresh in my coffee grinder and I used Canada No. 1 Light maple syrup.

I will let you know how I make out with the bread machine.

Thanks so much for this awesome bread recipe. Now for the Buckwheat muffins!

Maggie July 16, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Gail!
Thank you for the detailed comment and the feedback! I am so glad you’ve found a bread you can love – and I’m thrilled with your adaptations! Did you use quinoa seeds or quinoa flakes?
Congrats on your weight loss! That’s amazing!
Enjoy!

Gail August 3, 2012 at 9:04 am

I used quinoa seeds in my recipe for the bread. Thanks again.

Carolyn July 25, 2012 at 6:15 pm

We now make this bread about three times a week. The whole family loves it. I stuck pretty closely to the recipe – I do use organic molasses instead of the syrup / honey. I also make a single loaf. I’ve found that it rises really well, has a nice moist / airy texture and a delicious taste. Looking at the loaf there is a really thin layer where it hasn’t totally risen but that doesn’t detract from the bread at all.

I just noticed the bit about leaving the loaf to sit for an hour before baking – I’ve never done that. I’ve just put the batter into the loaf pan and straight into the oven. The bread works so well I don’t think I’ll tamper with my method.

Thanks for the recipe.

Maggie July 27, 2012 at 2:24 am

Hi Carolyn – Thanks so much for the detailed comment! I’m sure it will help others who want to try it. I love the idea of using molasses, I’m sure the flavor is amazing!

Carolyn August 1, 2012 at 4:41 am

Hi Maggie

I’d like to post a link on my blog to this blog entry if you don’t mind?

Carolyn

Maggie August 1, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Of course, thank you so much for asking Carolyn!

Ann July 31, 2012 at 5:49 am

I’m beyond excited to try this recipe b/c I’ve scoured the internet for a recipe that was simple and had easier to find reasonably priced ingredients (and not too many of them). Your recipe sounds like a Godsend. I have a thyroid condition, fibroid tumors and I’m pre-diabetic which makes my diet pretty restrictive (ideally I need to be gluten free, dairy free, phytoestrogen free, and low glycemic) which has made finding a good tasting bread recipe that is easy to make nearly impossible. Being a bread/food lover, these recent diet restrictions have become a nightmare though it ironically forces me to eat super healthy, but unfortunately I’ve often cheated in the bread dept. b/c the gluten free breads at TJ or Whole Foods are disgusting and Bob’s Red Mill premade GF whole grain bread mix is expensive and has caraway seeds which I do not care for .

QUESTIONS:
1. Of the people who made substitutions, is there any way to find out what amounts they used? Flax seeds have the most phytoestrogen of all foods, even more than soy whereas chia is free of estrogen. I would love to know how much chia to use since you said you need to use less than flax. Or did the person sub the same amount? Plus chia turns jellylike when wet, is that OK or will it make the bread too mushy? Or better yet, I have a powder egg replacer (dirt cheap on Iherb, eqivalent to 66 eggs for about $8) – how much of that can I use?

2. How much arrow root to use in place of starches? Same amount? Anything better to use than either since they are both pretty high glycemic index foods?

3. If I were to use Stevia liquid instead and 6-9 stevia drops = 1 Tbs of sugar, I’ve counted it into a tsp and about 20 drops equal 1 tsp. Do I increase the water amount by the difference or reduce how much in flour to compensate for that difference? I have not mastered how to adjust for changes that Stevia (powder or liquid) entails.

Thanks for bearing with my newbie questions.

Ann July 31, 2012 at 5:50 am

Oops, sorry forgot to ask. Was that 1 T of either guar gum OR Xanthan gum or 1 T of both? Thank you.

Maggie July 31, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Hi Ann – It’s either/or, not both :)

Gail August 3, 2012 at 8:37 am

Hi Again Maggie,

I got to make your buckwheatquinoa bread in the breadmaker last weekend, and thought I would let you know how it turned out like I promised you I would. It was even better than without the machine because it rose like real sandwich bread, I think it is a more stabilized heat source for rising of the bread than just leaving in a warm spot on the counter. Our house is for the most part of the year quite cool. One thing I noticed is that the bread texture inside had much smaller pores than the one I baked without the machine, and a friend of mine who bakes wheat bread on a weekly basis said that is a sign of a good loaf of bread…I wouldn’t know if that is the case. I was so excited, and the taste was wonderful and it was nicely moist to boot which it did not lose by the next day by the way. I used a different buckwheat flour this time from the Upper Saint John River Valley in Maine (I live close to the US border), and it had a little different taste from the first brand that I used, but I still love buckwheat! The next day I cut it up and froze the remaining slices, and I just ate a slice of it as I was getting ready to send this. It was not one bit dry after freezing like I find others to dry out.

I was telling a friend about your buckwheat bread recipe as she has family members who are newbies to the gluten-free diet.

I followed Ellen’s instructions in regards to following your own bread machines manufacturer’s instructions on adding the wet or dry in the order that they suggest. Mine was like hers–wet in first. I did what she recommended in proofing the yeast in the warm water, and then after the yeast was proofed I added the flax mixture, oil and maple syrup all to my machine first; then the dry ingredients. You don’t have to mix anything like she says, choose setting and start the cycle. ..so easy and I got the best bread I have had in the past two years. Thanks Maggie, you have a WINNER!!!

NOTE: Maggie I noticed on my first try making this bread (I forgot to mention to you in my first e-mail) that I couldn’t get my yeast to rise and the date on the pkg was for 2013. I tried again an hour later, and was wondering why it wasn’t rising with the heat in the house from the day and it was getting late and then all of a sudden the light came on…. I need sugar to proof my yeast!!! I should have known that, but you know your buzzing around getting things organized and I followed the instructions, and it says, “to heat water and pour into your mixing bowl. Add the yeast and allow it to proof for 5 minutes.” Could you possibly add sugar and the amount in that line for people like me that don’t make bread too often, and end up wondering why their yeast did not rise. And the same with Ellen’s instructions she says, “if I were making this bread recipe, I would proof the yeast in 1 1/4 cups of warm water in a measuring cup…….) Maybe sugar and the amount should be added here too. Maybe it is there, and I am not reading it correctly.

My adjustments were the following:

I did use coconut oil again in the recipe instead of sunflower oil, I used 1 1/4 cups buckwheat (replaced the almond flour with buckwheat); ground my own quinoa flour in my coffee grinder; used 2/3 cups arrowroot in place of the potato starch; and did use 1 cup tapioca starch this time. Last time I had lots of arrowroot, and so used all arrowroot. I like arrowroot. I used all Canadian Maple Syrup even for the yeast proofing (1 tbsp). I did use xanthum gum, and the flax mixture, but I think next time I will try the chia seed.

I think this covers everything I did. Maggie, I am so happy that I found this recipe you really have no idea. I am a bread lover and always have been, and to find this buckwheat recipe it is like winning the jackpot. Thank you so much.

Everyone give Maggie a big round of applause!!!

Have a great day everyone!

Maggie August 3, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Gail you’re the sweetest! Thanks so much for this AMAZING comment. I’m sure it will help lots of people. I think I need to make this bread again so I can take a better picture! I’ve never needed/used sugar to proof my yeast, but that’s good to know. Thanks for sharing Gail. Really, you made my day! Come back soon :)

bob April 3, 2014 at 12:21 am

I also had the same problem with the yeast not proofing, until I remembered about adding a sugar to the yeast! I haven’t baked yeasty bread in a couple of years. So I added the 3 Tbs of 100% maple syrup to the water and heated them together to the right temperature, then it worked properly.

bob April 3, 2014 at 12:21 am

I also had the same problem with the yeast not proofing, until I remembered about adding a sugar to the yeast! I haven’t baked yeasty bread in a couple of years. So I added the 3 Tbs of 100% maple syrup to the water and heated them together to the right temperature, then it proofed properly.

Tracy August 24, 2012 at 10:36 am

Hi,

Love your blog and recipes – have you tried any version without yeast? Just curious because I have issues with yeast so I’m trying to find a good GF/Vegan recipe without yeast.

Thanks and cheers!

Maggie August 26, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Hi Tracy – I haven’t tried a version without yeast yet, but I would love to! I just need a little more nerve :) Iris from The Daily Dietribe has a gluten-free, dairy-free, and egg-free bread without yeast on her blog. I’ve tried it and it’s delicious!

Coral February 23, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Hi, Maggie!

Thank you for creating this recipe! My daughter, who can’t eat any grains, has been haunted by her yearning for bread. What a treat this will be…
The only question I have is how many eggs your faux-egg flax mix is equivalent to? We can do eggs, and I’m eager to keep as much protein as possible (as well as a good rise) in this bread.

Again, I am so thankful for your hard work on behalf of us all!

Maggie February 23, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Hi Coral – You’re so sweet, thanks for the gratitude.
I would try 2-3 eggs. Or enough eggs to equal 3/4 cup. My son has been able to reintroduce some eggs too, which is a relief for him!
Let me know how it goes!
Thank you so much for reading.
Maggie

Coral March 5, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Maggie!
We used the eggs, substituted 1/4 c Amaranth flour for the almond flour, and this bread is truly the most like a wheat bread that we’ve ever made. And I’ve been making alternative bread for six years! Slices beautifully, toasts up with a real crust and chewy bread that is almost better than the wheat-prototype. We are stoked! Again, what a great achievement!

All out happy thanks,
Coral

Anissa August 5, 2013 at 2:40 pm

i made this today and my bread came out hollow :( i used arrowroot to replace all starches because i dont use corn. i also used coc oil…could that be what caused it??? please let me know
thanks!

Maggie August 5, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Hi Anissa – That’s so bizarre. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a hollow loaf before. I am wondering if it was down to the arrowroot flour? I’ve never used 100% arrowroot flour in a bread recipe (there’s no corn starch in this recipe though). There are just so many variables with bread that it’s difficult for me to guess at what might have gone wrong. Did you bake it in two pans? I have made bread with coconut oil, but it was melted. Let me know if you have any more questions.
We’ll get to the bottom of this!
Maggie

Anissa August 5, 2013 at 2:42 pm

oh also, after baking for 50 min, it was still doughy on the bottom??? i mustve done something wrong….

Jennifer Knorr August 22, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Hello :)
My name is Jennifer and I have ms. I Maintain a strict diet do to a lot of the ms Symptoms. I am trying to make a Gluten free bread using buckwheat and Quinoa but! A lot of things I can’t eat are things that are nut based any oil or Flaxseed. Do u think the bread will be ok if I skip these Ingredients or what do u think would be a good Substitute?
I Appreciate any Advice you can give me. Lol it’s been about a year sense I have had any type of bread or even Toast lol.
Sincerely,
Jennifer Knorr.

Maggie August 23, 2013 at 11:17 am

Hi Jennifer – You definitely can’t skip those ingredients, otherwise the bread won’t turn out. You have to be careful when baking gf breads. Can you tolerate chia and other seeds? You could try ground pumpkin seeds instead of the almond flour and chia instead of the flax. Let me know if those ingredients are safe for you to eat and we can go from there.
Thanks for reading!
Maggie

Claudia November 30, 2013 at 10:13 pm

Hi Maggie,
I just made your bread, with minimal substitutions, but it sank in the middle. I placed the batter in one 9×5 loaf pan instead of two 8×4 pans because I don’t have the smaller size pans. I’m wondering if that’s the reason. Also, I baked it for 60 minutes because my knife was a bit moist when I took it out at 50 minutes.
The substitutions I made were: I used more quinoa flour because I didn’t have enough buckwheat, I used more tapioca because I can’t eat potato, I only had 4 tbsp of flax so I added one tbsp of chia seeds (maybe I should have ground them), I used rice bran oil instead of sunflower and I used instant yeast instead of active dry yeast (I’ve researched this and found that I can sub the instant for the active dry and don’t need to proof it – I’ve made other breads with instant yeast with no issues).
I’m frustrated because the other people who replied to your post have made substitutions, including you, but mine still sank. Would you have any idea why or any suggestions? I would appreciate it!
Thanks!
Claudia

Maggie December 2, 2013 at 9:35 am

Hi Claudia – Bread is such a beast that once you get into substitutions and pan changes, so much can happen – or not happen! First of all, you’d definitely need to cook it for longer in that pan size. I’ve used more quinoa flour and no buckwheat, so I don’t think that was it. I doubt it was the chia seeds either. I’m not familiar with rice bran oil, or its properties so I really can’t speak to that change. I like to use coconut oil and I find that’s an easy change to make. I also can’t speak to the yeast change, I have used instant before, but the recipe called for it so it wasn’t a change. Not much help! If I were to guess, it would be the yeast and the pan change – perhaps try cooking it longer and not opening the over door to test it.
Have a great day Claudia,
Maggie

Jeanie January 25, 2014 at 10:57 pm

This bread rocks! I only had a large tin, so used all of the batter in it. It is moist and large enough for sandwiches. Can’t wait until it cools down! Thanks!

Maggie January 27, 2014 at 9:45 am

Yay Jeanie – How does it taste? Thanks so much for coming on and letting us know that you tried it. I really appreciate it.
Have a great week,
Maggie

Marisa February 8, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Hello!
I can’t find tapioca starch..can I use corn starch instead? What about the xantham gum, is it totally necessary?
Marisa (Portugal)

Maggie February 9, 2014 at 2:06 pm

Hi Marisa – I think you could use corn starch instead. Or potato starch. Xanthan gum is important! Can you find guar gum, it’s quite similar to xanthan? Or you could use psyllium seed husks (1 tablespoon). Ground chia or flax seeds would work too, just not as well so your bread might come out a little more crumbly. Again, I’d use about 1-2 tablespoons of flax or chia. Let me know how it goes!
Maggie

Eric February 12, 2014 at 12:36 pm

The shopping list is daunting for someone new to baking gf breads. (Up-front costs are high, too). I know that it is possible to purchase pre-mixed all-purpose gf flours that contain most of the other ingredients (minus the buckwheat / quinoa).

Have you experimented with any of these with this recipe and are you willing to share? I am not really impressed with many of the store-bought brands of gf breads — lackluster – like wonderbread, and $$$. Would prefer to bake my own…

Thanks.

Maggie February 12, 2014 at 1:43 pm

Hi Eric – Welcome to the world of baking gf breads! Try this post for a perhaps less daunting list It uses a mix. Let me know if that helps. If you really want to try this recipe, you might try using all buckwheat flour instead of quinoa and all potato starch instead of tapioca.
Have a great day,
Maggie

bob April 3, 2014 at 5:57 am

I made this bread following most of the instructions. I subbed hazelnut meal for the almond, and instant dry yeast instead of the active (I don’t know where to buy that one here, and have used instant dried before on other recipes). I used two pans and baked them at the same time, rotating part way through. Is there a scientific reason behind not baking both loaves at the same time? Have you tried it that way? I noticed the loaves took a little longer being baked together. Also, I used dough hooks when mixing the batter, as I was unsure. What attachment do you use to mix the dough on your mixer?
And when they are cooling, do you cool them in the pans, or flip them onto a wire rack after 10 minutes or so?

Although the loaves rose an inch or two during their rise phase, they sunk back down a bit during baking. I’m not sure whether it was my yeast though, it didn’t proof as high as it usually does. Yet it still had a good softness to it, lots of little bubbles, and a crunchy crust. The flavour was mild, but pleasing (I was worried about it being too sweet with that much maple syrup). I would definitely make this one again, and as eggs are not an issue I am going to try the recipe with them in next time.

Maggie April 3, 2014 at 7:53 am

Hi Bob –
Welcome back :)
I’ve never seen or used hazelnut meal so I can’t speak to that sub. Nuts vary so much in wetness (oil/fat content) and in texture. I have never tried instant yeast in this recipe, but I use it in my Perfect Bread recipe and it is an entirely different method than what I describe here with active dry yeast. I’m not a scientist, but I know from experience and trial and error that baking them together didn’t product the same loaves as baking them separately. I had to bake them longer, and they didn’t bake through.
Since the recipe is more like a batter, I don’t use my dough hooks. I just use the paddle, for pretty much everything, but especially batters. I let mine rest in the pan on a wire rack for at least ten minutes, and then transfer out of the pan to cool completely.
I haven’t baked bread in months but I’m thinking of getting into sourdough, which is exciting!
Bread baking, especially gf bread baking, is such an interesting adventure. Sounds like you’re having fun and that’s great to hear!
Maggie

Lena July 1, 2014 at 8:42 am

Well, this is a landmark day! Just came out of the oven and I now have to stop myself from eating half a loaf in one sitting! Since I have learned gluten, dairy and eggs are not in my future, I have looked for ways to ensure proper nutrition and food satisfaction. I haven’t had bread in a very long time and now I can add it back in! I too looked for ways to use what I had and decrease starch, so I used coconut flour in addition to the flours there, and ended up using only 1/2 cup tapioca overall. I see I can experiment more. Yes, it is very dense without the starches and not like commercial breads, but those are not what I enjoy anyway, and the rich taste full of all of those wonderful flours is just my thing.

I would like to know if anyone has ever tried amaranth flour and did you make it somehow yourself or buy it already ground?

Huge thanks, Maggie, for helping us to feel more free in this restricted world of having to be “free” of certain foods!
Lena

Maggie July 3, 2014 at 4:48 am

Wow Lena, this is great news! I love that you added some coconut flour – so brave :) I like dense bread too, it is what I was eating and loving before going gluten-free so I can totally relate. I think you could use amaranth flour. My son is sensitive to it so we don’t use it at all, I can’t tell you how to prepare it. I have seen it already ground into a flour though.
Thanks for the support Lena!
Maggie

Lena July 5, 2014 at 10:13 pm

Round 2 for this recipe and I’m enjoying this new life with bread! This recipe’s ingredients and proportions are perfect as is or with modifications. Just tried combo of quinoa , buckwheat, teff and coconut flours. I used half the tapioca and omitted the potato. However, I read someplace to try tapioca starch in place of flax (thyroid issues have me limit flax ). Next time I’d like to try chia. I also used coconut oil and pressed sunflower seeds into the top. I can’t imagine using another bread recipe, this one has many lives. Much gratitude!