We celebrated something really big recently.
My husband Pete had his first book published by Penguin! He co-authored the book with two of his colleagues, it’s called The Wealthy Freelancer.
Last week we celebrated with a yummy pizza dinner and I made my new gluten-free and vegan chocolate cake recipe that I’ve been working on for a while. Naturally I called it TWF Chocolate Cake (The Wealthy Freelancer)!
I used my new favourite icing recipe thanks to Jenn at The Cinnamon Quill. It was a great complement to the chocolatey, yummy cake.
My original hope was for these to be brownies but they just wanted to live as an easy and fool-proof chocolate cake.
TWF Gluten-Free & Vegan Chocolate Cake
3/4 cup my all-purpose bean-free mix .
1/3 + 1/4 cup sorghum flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup sucanat (or coconut sugar)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp arrowroot powder
1/4 cup non-dairy chocolate milk (I used almond)
3 tbsp maple syrup
1/3 cup oil (I use coconut)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and oil/grease an 8 x 8 pan.
2. In your mixer combine the flours, cocoa powder, baking powder, sucanat and sea salt.
3. In a small bowl, combine the arrowroot powder with the non-dairy milk.
4. Add the maple syrup, oil, and vanilla and mix to the milk mixture.
5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and combine.
6. Stir in the chocolate chips.
7. Spoon batter into prepared pan and sprinkle with coarse cane sugar (turbinado). Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes. Check with your handy-dandy cake tester.
Let cool on a wire rack before icing with this yummy homemade cane sugar icing.
You could use only the mix (so 1 1/3 cups) but I like to add the sorghum especially.
The chocolate chips won’t melt so they’ll be little bites of yummy.
There’s xanthan gum or guar gum in my all purpose mix so you don’t need to add more to the cake batter.
You don’t have to use chocolate non-dairy milk but why wouldn’t you?
*If you’re interested in checking out Pete’s book you can do so at Amazon by clicking here.*
Print This Post