Pete’s Protein Smoothie

by Maggie on March 7, 2010

I love milkshakes.

The kind of milkshake that is so thick your straw stands up all by itself.  Yummy.

Pete is the milkshake maker in our house – otherwise mine would be way too thick and way too much.  I tend to overindulge when it comes to shakes and smoothies.  Too much yumminess.

A few years ago Pete and I went to Brooklyn, NYC and while we were there we bought the ideal shake-making cup; totally old school silver.  We use it every day to make shakes of some sort with our immersion blender.

In general, Pete is not one to use a recipe, in fact they really stress him out!  He’d rather make it up as he goes along, and he does it so well.  Don’t know about you, buy I feel safer with a recipe!

Pete’s been making smoothies for us for a long time.  He often adds protein powder to his but I’m not a big fan.  With this smoothie I don’t think you need to add any powder as the ingredients alone make it a pretty good protein treat.

Pete just whipped this smoothie up one day after a run, and now it’s a staple in our house.  When I need something chocolatey and yummy, which is pretty much every day, this is a great treat.

Pete’s Smoothie

1 tbsp Coconut Oil

1 tbsp Nut Butter (we use peanut or almond butter)

1/2 tbsp Cocoa Powder ( I bet raw cacao would work too)

1/2 tsp Vanilla

1/2 tsp Cinnamon

1/2 Frozen Banana

1 cup almond milk (or any type of milk)

Blend all the ingredients and enjoy.

You could definitely throw some ice cream in here too – if you want your straw to stand up by itself.

This recipe makes enough for one person.  We usually double or triple it because once the babes catch on that we’re having a smoothie, they want one too!

What’s your favourite smoothie recipe?  Chocolate?  Fruit?  Please share.

p.s. Trust me on this smoothie recipe!  If you know me well enough, you’ll know that something must be yummy for me too eat or drink it :)

You can also find this recipe and many more ‘slightly indulgent’ recipes at Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free

Desiree Fawn March 7, 2010 at 10:05 pm

Mmm, we’re big on smoothies over here too. It’s pretty much the only thing that we use our magic bullet for!

Maggie March 8, 2010 at 7:03 am

Oooh, you have a magic bullet! I’ve always been very tempted by that thing. Is it awesome?

Aubree Cherie March 8, 2010 at 9:08 am

I love smoothies too! Its funny, i just bought some almond milk but have yet to try a smoothie with it. I’m gonna have to give yours a try! (Looks tasty!)

Tim Gane March 8, 2010 at 11:35 am

Hm, I actually happened to be looking for Smoothie recipes over the weekend.

This looks like a keeper :) have to give it a try this week.

Maggie March 8, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Hey Tim – Let me know what you think! Glad you checked out the post.

Stef March 10, 2010 at 9:16 am

We love smoothies too! I usually have a ‘smoothie day’ for my students near the end of the school year along with the class party.
Mine’s pretty simple and the ideas were totally stolen from the Yogen Fruz on the WLU campus.

In a blender combine:
A few ice cubes (crushed up)
1 c frozen mixed berries
1 c of fresh berries (if you have them on hand)
1 yoguart cup (I usually have vanilla or berry blend on hand)
2 c of juice of choice (I usually use orange or fruit punch)

It’s great for the morning commute to work or for an evening snack when you just aren’t sure of what you feel like and know you shouldn’t be eating anything!
Enjoy!

Maggie March 10, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Hey Stef – Welcome to the blog! Thanks for sharing your smoothie recipe. What fun the kids must have making smoothies in class! So lucky.

Iris March 11, 2010 at 7:49 pm

My favorite smoothies are simple: spinach, banana, frozen pineapple, and water. Used to be almond milk, but I’m trying to stay away from nuts for now. I did try a little pumpkin puree the other day and that added a nice thickness and flavor to it.

Maggie March 12, 2010 at 9:28 am

Hi Iris – how much spinach? And does it taste spinach-y? Would love to add in some greens but it must taste yummy still! Your little tummy is so sensitive!