Vegan Bread & Gluten-Free Bread – The Nutty Version

by Maggie on February 24, 2010

Make sure you subscribe to my newsletter to get your copy of 10 Easy Recipes For The Gluten-Free Beginner.

GF & Vegan Bread - The Nutty Version from She Let Them Eat Cake.Com

Now you have to bake a loaf of gluten-free bread.

Because I’ve got another bread recipe for you!

As I said a few weeks ago when I posted my first bread recipe, store bought gluten-free bread is either frozen yuck or too expensive.  So for the past few months I’ve been baking our own bread.

I was really happy with my first recipe but we started to get a little bored with the same bread every time (I bake it twice a week) so we needed something new.  Variety is the spice of life, non?

I used my first bread recipe as a base so this might look a little familiar.  We have made this bread many times now (by “we” I mean me and the voices in my head).   It is a forgiving bread so please feel free to play around with the flours once you feel confident enough to do so.

Vegan & GF Bread - The Nutty Version from She Let Them Eat Cake.com

Vegan & Gluten-Free Bread – The Nutty Version

1 1/4 cups warm water (100-115 degrees f)
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
5 tablespoons ground flax mixed with water to equal 3/4 cup water
3 tablespoons sunflower oil (or coconut oil)
3 tablespoons real maple syrup/agave/honey
1 1/2 cups garfava flour
or sorghum flour (or a combination)
2/3 cup potato starch
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1/2 cup arrowroot flour
1/4 cup ground walnuts or almond meal
1 tablespoon xanthan gum/guar gum
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
sesame seeds or hemp seeds for sprinkling

1. Heat water and pour into your mixing bowl.  Add yeast and allow it to proof for 5 minutes.  You will see it puff up – it’s like science class in your kitchen.
2. Add the ground flax to a liquid measuring cup.  Add water to equal 3/4 cup of a flax-water mixture.  Stir and let sit while the yeast if proofing.
3. When the yeast and water mixture has proofed, add oil, real maple syrup (or honey/agave) and flax mixture.
4. In a medium-sized bowl, thoroughly combine the dry ingredients (I usually do this while my yeast is proofing).  Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and combine.
5. Mix on medium speed for 5 minutes (if you’re lucky you have a KitchenAid mixer to do this for you!).  I usually stop my mixer once to wipe down the sides.  If you don’t have a KitchenAid I would stir for at least 10 minutes.
6. At 5 minutes in your mixer, you will have a fairly wet batter – not your typical bread dough.  Remember! It’s gluten-free bread we’re working with here.   You won’t be doing ANY kneading by hand.
7. Scrape the batter into two bread pans (8 x 4 inch) and sprinkle with seeds if desired.  Let loaves sit covered for 1 hour.
8. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
9. Bake 1 loaf for 45 – 50 minutes (check at the 45 minute mark since oven temperatures can vary so much).  The second loaf should go into the fridge covered until it’s ready for the oven. Refrigerating will slow down the yeast.  You don’t want it to over-proof.
10. Use a knife or a cake tester to check loaves for done-ness.  You want something that will go right to the bottom of the loaf to check for wet ingredients.

Make sure you try this with some almond butter or your favourite morning spread.

Pete and I made some amazing garlic bread with one loaf by cutting off all of the sides so we had some crusty bread.  It was so good.

Of course, this also makes a great sandwich bread.  I tried hummus, avocado, sprouts, and lettuce.  Hello healthy goodness.

NOTES:

Don’t cook two loaves at the same time; been there, done that.

Try rotating your loaf at the 25 minute mark 180 degrees.

I have made this bread with 1/2 cup of almond flour (instead of just 1/4 cup) and cut out 1/4 cup of garfava or sorghum.  Works just as well!

I have not made this with a bread machine (just not a huge fan of the bread machine spaceship).  If you do have one and try it please please please report back with instructions and let us know how it went.

I use silicone bread pans.

If you have a nut allergy, try subbing one of your favourite gluten-free flours.

I store mine on the counter in a ziploc bag.  Ours doesn’t last much longer than 3 days; we’re big fans of toast around here.

Do you bake gluten-free bread?  Any tips you want to share with us for guaranteed yummy success?

berryliciousbanner600x122

Heidi Kelly February 26, 2010 at 9:42 pm

Maggie!

That bread looks absolutely delicious (and nutritious too boot!). I think I will try that this weekend!

I am SO in touch with “the friends” in my head too! :-)

Maggie February 27, 2010 at 5:44 am

Thanks Heidi! Let me know what you think of it when you try it. And of course how the voices like it too!

Ellen @ I Am Gluten Free August 14, 2010 at 6:41 am

Ok then. I’m so glad I found this. Will try and report back!

Maggie August 17, 2010 at 8:17 pm

Hi Ellen – Let me know if you do try it; it’s so versatile. I made it tonight with sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, and some teff. It was delish!

Becky March 20, 2011 at 8:49 pm

I tried this for the first time tonight — I am so thankful that I found you!!! I am so happy to finally make a bread I can eat AND it tastes delicious!! I’m just getting used gluten free baking and your receipes make it so easy to adjust. Thanks for all you are doing….it’s definately brightening my days.

Maggie March 21, 2011 at 6:34 am

Hey Becky – And you just TOTALLY brightened my day! Thanks so much for letting me know. I will definitely keep doing what I’m doing :)

Janis Bryant October 29, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Made this today. This is by far the best gluten free bread I have eaten or made! I used buttermilk instead of milk, but changed nothing else. VERY. DELICIOUS! Thanks for the recipe

Maggie November 1, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Oh Janis I am so glad to hear that! I am sure the buttermilk was a fabulous touch! I used to love working with buttermilk :) Thanks for sharing your success.

Adrienne November 13, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Hi Maggie! I found your site via Whole Life Nutrition and their link to gluten free bread recipes. I clicked on yours b/c it’s also egg-free, something rare to find in the bread world, but necessary for my allergic family. I’m looking forward to trying your recipe. Thanks so much for sharing it. We’ll see how it goes at high altitude…

Maggie November 17, 2012 at 1:50 pm
Sarah January 11, 2013 at 11:21 am

Hello!

Just tried this recipe, and it is already a big hit in our house. Our family does not have allergies but we are trying to eat better, and this bread has made it easier and tastier to reach our goals! Thanks a bunch :O)

Maggie January 11, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Hi Sarah – Are you related to Jason, your emails are so similar :)
Thanks for coming back and letting us know. I’m so happy to hear it’s a hit – and that it’s making your health goals more reachable!
Maggie

Sarah January 13, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Jason is my husband and partner in crime/kitchen! I think he meant to say that our yeast wasn’t expired! It tasted wonderful, we just couldn’t get the height that your loaf has :O)

Maggie January 15, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Oh that makes more sense Sarah :) Thanks for clarifying (on the yeast and partner in crime). There’s so many variables for bread and yeast. Maybe I’ll come over and bake bread with you guys next time. Haha!
Have a great day!
Maggie

Jason January 11, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Tried this bread today! it’s wonderful tasting!, but about half the height of your pictured bread! Our yeast is fresh! any ides?

Maggie January 11, 2013 at 3:59 pm

That’s great news Jason, thanks for letting me know. I am envious of your fresh yeast. I’m guessing that has something to do with it. I’ve always wanted to work with fresh yeast, but haven’t so I’m not sure how that changes things. Do you know? Maybe together we can get to the bottom of it!

Sarah January 15, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Hello!
I’m wondering if I would be able to pour the entire amount of mix into one larger bread pan? Wondering if you’ve ever tried to do so, and if this would change the total baking time, or rising time?

Maggie January 16, 2013 at 10:50 am

Hi Sarah – I have tried it, but I found that it never really baked through – there’s always a little line along the bottom that looks slightly undercooked. I still do it though, because that doesn’t bother us. We mostly use our bread for toast. So definitely give it a shot, but bake it for about 10 minutes longer.
Hope that helps!
Maggie

Sarah January 16, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Maggie!

I used just one larger pan, and baked it for about one hour and it turned out fantastic! Thanks!

Maggie January 18, 2013 at 9:17 am

That’s so great Sarah – thanks for coming back and letting us know.
Have a great weekend,
Maggie

Missy February 24, 2013 at 12:50 pm

I just made this last night and it turned out fabulous! It is the first gluten free bread that came out looking like “regular” bread — and I’ve tried tons of bread recipes in my 3 1/2 years of gluten free baking! I was just about to give up and keep buying expensive frozen bread when I found your recipe. Thanks so much!!

Maggie February 25, 2013 at 9:17 am

Yay Missy that is great news! Thank you so much for coming back to share it with me.
Have a fabulous week (eating your bread),
Maggie

Verda March 27, 2013 at 5:06 pm

I just made this bread and it is absolutely delicious. For as small as my loaf turned out it was not heavy or dense. The texture is super great. I immediately ate three pieces while it was still warm from the oven. It even cut well while warm. I do not have silicone pans and used my metal bread pans. It baked super fast and was almost ready to come out of the oven at the 25 minute mark. I covered it with foil and continued to bake. I too am going to try baking it in a larger pan and see if I can get it to rise above the rim of the pan. How high does your bread rise I tried to judge by the picture but can’t tell? It didn’t take my husband any time at all to discover by cutting 4 pieces he could make a pretty good sized sandwich. LOL

George April 8, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Can this be made with tapioca flour only instead of the tapioca/potato starch combo?

Maggie April 9, 2013 at 8:38 am

Absolutely George! It may not be as fluffy, but it will still work just fine.
Have a great day,
Maggie

Verda April 17, 2013 at 3:27 pm

I just baked my second loaf of this wonderful bread. Since my first attempt didn’t rise as much as I wanted (didn’t hurt the taste I might say) I tried using one 9 x 5 loaf pan and it worked beautifully. I had no problem with the bread being undercooked on the bottom edge. I baked the bread on the second from the bottom rack. This recipe does brown quickly so at the 25 minute mark when I turned the pan I covered the loaf with aluminum foil and continued baking for the full 50 minutes. When I pulled it from the oven and tested for doneness it seemed a little damp so I put it back in for another 6 minutes. Perfect!!! Again I could not wait for it to cool before slicing off a nice piece. Yummy! BTW I used 3/4 C garfava & 3/4 C sorgham flour and blanched almond flour/meal. I also used a dark honey so this bread is a beautiful medium brown color.

Maggie April 19, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Hi Verda – Thank you so much for sharing your success story! I’m so glad it worked for you, I think I’ll try your version this weekend!
Have a great night,
Maggie

Jacqueline August 16, 2014 at 9:40 pm

I have had almost an identical experience as you Verda. The first and second round. I appreciate your tips on baking a 9×5 loaf!

Maggie, thank you, this bread is fantastic! Flavor, texture- everything is perfect! And I like that there is room to play around with ingredients!
I followed your recipe exactly, aside from making one 9×5 loaf instead of two 8×4. So happy I came across this recipe! I sprinkled sunflower seeds on top- so good!
Thanks again! I look forward to trying more of your recipes!

Maggie August 18, 2014 at 9:55 am

Yay! Thanks for letting us know Jacqueline. I really appreciate it. I’ve been making it as one loaf too :)
Enjoy your bread,
Maggie

Meredith September 8, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Can one loaf be frozen and used later?
Also, do you think you could bake both loaves together in a convection oven?

Maggie September 8, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Hi Meredith – You could definitely freeze one loaf for later, though I would slice it first. I don’t have any experience (yet!) with convection ovens so I can’t speak to that, I do know it didn’t work well when I tried two in my conventional oven.
Let us know how it goes!
Maggie

KATE January 7, 2014 at 6:50 pm

I CAN’T EAT FLAX, ANY SUBSTITUTIONS? ALSO, WILL I BE SEEING THE BREAD RISE (ESPECIALLY IN A 68 DEGREE KITCHEN RIGHT NOW)? WHY CAN’T I BAKE BOTH AT ONCE, JUST CURIOUS.
THANKS!!
KATE

Maggie January 8, 2014 at 12:52 pm

Hi Kate – Can you eat chia, you could use that instead? You should see the bread rise, I would try putting it into a rubbermaid bin and letting it proof in there. In my experience, making both together results in them not finishing evenly.
You’re welcome :)