Gluten-Free Buckwheat Carrot Muffins

by Maggie on February 9, 2010

Make sure you subscribe to my newsletter to get your copy of 10 Easy Recipes For The Gluten-Free Beginner.

I need a chocolate detox.

Ever since we ate that Fat Pants Cake I have been in major need of a little chocolate break (I can’t believe I just wrote that but it’s true). That cake was divine but it overloaded me just a wee bit!  So much so, we haven’t finished it off.  It’s that sweet.

Luckily, my good friend M.C. gave me a great recipe; it’s the perfect recipe for chocolate detox.  Buckwheat Carrot Muffins – it’s really the exact opposite of Fat Pants Cake isn’t it?  I’ve made a few changes and we were all really happy with the results (both the babes devoured the mini versions that I baked for them).  The perfect morning treat or afternoon snack.  You must try these.

Gluten-Free & Vegan Buckwheat Carrot Muffins

1 & 1/2 cups buckwheat flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoons sea salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 & 1/2 cups grated / shredded carrot (you could use zucchini too)
3/4 cup honey or agave or maple syrup
1 mashed banana
1/2 cup sunflower oil
3 tablespoons ground flax combined with 9 tablespoons hot water (or 3 eggs)
1/2 cup raisins (0ptional)

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin pan with liners or grease with sunflower oil.
2. In a large bowl (or the bowl of your glorious KitchenAid) combine buckwheat flour, cinnamon, sea salt, baking soda and baking powder.
3. Add shredded carrot to the dry ingredients and combine.
4. In a medium-sized bowl combine honey, mashed banana, sunflower oil, and flax-hot water mixture.
5. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
6. Stir in raisins.
7. Bake for 25 minutes.  Remove from oven and let cool to the touch.
8. Place on a cooling rack and watch them disappear.

Note: I have this thing about muffins and the day after.  They’re never that good.  I think a lot of that has to do with the addition of milk (or even non-dairy milk).  But these muffins were great the next day.

What do you do for chocolate overload?  Or am I the only one who is crazy enough to combine the words chocolate and overload?

You can also find this recipe and many more ‘slightly indulgent’ recipes at Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free

Iris February 9, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Yum! I love any sort of carrot muffin/cake!

Maggie February 10, 2010 at 7:07 am

Thanks Iris. Can you eat these yet? I want to read more about your elimination diet. Can you give me the link from your blog?

meredith February 10, 2010 at 12:30 pm

What a great looking recipe! Thank you so much for sharing.

Maggie February 10, 2010 at 5:58 pm

Thank you Meredith. Buckwheat is my new fave flour right now!

Jenn/CinnamonQuill February 10, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Yes! I am making these!!! Sound perfect.

Maggie February 10, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Yay! Let me know how they turn out Jenn.

Sarah February 15, 2010 at 6:22 am

Great flavor combo… they look great. And I could use a little chocolate break myself.

Ellen @ I Am Gluten Free August 14, 2010 at 6:50 am

These are a definite must try. I stumbled on a wealth of buckwheat recently. There were dozens of boxes of it on sale for 50% off at a Hannaford’s Supermarket. I bought as many as I could carry home and then ground it in my grain grinder. The smell was UNBELIEVABLE! And the result: freshly ground buckwheat flour. I used it recently to bake some GF vegan muffins which I’ll be posting about soon. And I will definitely use it to try your recipe. Thanks!

Maggie August 17, 2010 at 8:17 pm

I wish I had the tools to make my own flours! One day for sure. Thanks for commenting.

AS December 9, 2010 at 10:17 pm

I just turned these into a cake (cause I’m cheap and didn’t want to buy muffin pans) added wlnuts, fresh grated ginger, nutmeg and some coconut. It smells scrumptious!!! I’m so thankful for an easy gluton, dairy and sugar free recipe. I’ll let you know how it tastes! However I may be too busy eating to type.

Maggie December 10, 2010 at 5:39 am

Hey AS – You must’ve been too busy eating to type :) Thanks for letting me know your changes – you’re way more adventurous than I am! I love it.

quincy June 18, 2011 at 5:54 am

Thank you so much for this recipe. It is DELICIOUS and is my new standard for muffins.
I add the ground flax (not the water) AND the eggs, cut the cinnamon to 1 tsp and add 1 tsp vanilla. Also I usually have half carrot and half apple for the shredded part, and I use coconut oil instead of sunflower oil. I back the agave off to 1/2 cup and get away with less than 1/2 cup of the oil. I don’t use the raisins.

Thank you thank you!

Maggie June 18, 2011 at 8:51 am

Hi Quincy – Sounds like you’re turning them into awesome muffins! I love hearing how people adapt the recipes to suit their needs. Thanks so much for sharing.

Patrice January 5, 2012 at 11:16 am

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe! Hands down the best GF muffin I have ever had! During the holidays, I added finely chopped raisins and fresh cranberries to 1/2 cup (ran them through my food processor) and they were so moist. Next, I’m going to experiment with adding rhubarb.

Maggie January 5, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Patrice I’m so grateful for you! Thanks for coming back to share your muffin love :) I love your additions to the recipe. Yum!

Sarah April 7, 2012 at 7:54 am

These turned out so well! I used chia instead of flax. It is such a joy to find a GF, EF, DF and corn free recipe! Thank you

Maggie April 7, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Yay Sarah! Thanks so much for sharing your success story :)

Hilary August 7, 2012 at 8:33 pm

These are fantastic! A friend and I had bought some organic buckwheat flour for some crepes, but decided to bake something else too, which is when we came across this recipe. We only added one cup of carrot, took out the banana and added in one egg, blended with 1/2 cup zucchini. Definitely a recipe to keep!

Maggie August 10, 2012 at 4:09 am

Yum! I love the changes you made Hilary. That’s the best thing about muffins, they’re so easy to switch up!

inca January 1, 2013 at 3:59 pm

These are great, but I can’t resist making changes, so I’ve tried many variations. I like to make them completely sugarfree for my toddler – I blend about a cup of soaked raisins instead, and muffins come out mildly sweet. My advice for vegans who want more iron in their diets – add grated pumpkin instead of carrot, because it contains malic acid, which supposedly improves iron absorption. Apples and plums also contain this acid. Buckwheat is high in iron, but oats are even higher, so you can switch some of buckwheat flour for oat flour. Raisins, prunes, sunflower seeds and especially pumpkin seeds are high in iron too, and they fit these muffins perfectly. When made without sugar, first bites might seem too sugarless, but you get used to the taste fast and keep wanting more. At least that’s how it was for me. When I took out sugar, I actually hoped to make muffins that were less tasty, so I would eat less myself and would leave more for my son, but they came out irresistable anyway.

Maggie January 2, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Hi Inca – Thanks for sharing your changes and tips!
Happy New Year,
Maggie

Kristin June 3, 2013 at 10:33 am

Thank you for this recipe! I’m always looking for delicious baked goods recipes that I can actually eat, being highly gluten and egg sensitive. I’m also a type 1 diabetic, and I figured the carb count (using honey, and without raisins) to be about 34 grams of carbohydrate per muffin. My blood glucose level gradually came up over two hours, and peaked around the same time as my insulin. I was thankful not to have a quick glycemic spike like I get from gluten free baked goods with loads of rice flour and sugar. I am definitely making these again, soon. I have shared the recipe with my friends from church, who devoured two dozen of these buckwheat carrot muffins yesterday morning. There were no leftovers.

Maggie June 4, 2013 at 10:18 am

Kristin thank you so much for sharing such detailed and important information! I’m so happy you found a recipe that works so well :)
Have a great day,
Maggie

Xiuz August 9, 2013 at 10:01 am

Hi, I tried this recipe today, but I eliminated cinnamon, honey, and used 3small bananas.
My paste seems to a bit dry, maybe because I removed the sugary part?

And my resulted muffin tasted strongly on the baking powder, can you please let me what I did wrongly? Maybe my mixture is not thorough enough?

Maggie August 12, 2013 at 7:58 am

Hi Xiuz – Since you removed some liquid, I think the mix would be dry. It’s hard to tell you where you went wrong when you’ve made some changes to the recipe. Sorry. Next time you could try mixing more thoroughly and adding some liquid – maybe dairy-free milk or water?
Maggie

Kathy February 8, 2014 at 7:19 pm

Great taste and texture. I added chopped pecans and cranberries and skipped the raisins. I used eggs instead of flax, motly because we have lots of eggs. Thanks for the recipe!

Maggie February 9, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Sounds amazing Kathy! Thanks so much for sharing your version.
Maggie

Maranda February 24, 2014 at 5:23 pm

I love baking with buckwheat! It has a great texture for muffins and my kids love it. I made these today with carrot and zucchini and dried cranberries and they turned out wonderfully. Thanks!

Maggie February 25, 2014 at 9:05 am

Hi Maranda – These are a great muffin. I am so glad they turned out well for you, I hope your kiddos love them!
Maggie