Friday Finds Lip Balm

by Maggie on February 5, 2010

I am addicted to lip balm.

I used to use Vaseline and Carmex to moisturize my lips, but then I wised up when I learned about some of the ingredients in mainstream lip moisturizers (check out Less Toxic Guide for a summary).

It was really hard for me to stop using Carmex, I loved it.  I still get the shakes when I see it at the drug store.  I want to pick it up and smother it all over my lips.  However, I refuse to use it now.  It contains two ingredients on the definite no-no list: phenol and petroleum.

My babes love to use my lip balms so I need to think about them too when I’m choosing brands to buy.  They’re kids so they want to do everything adults do!

I’ve found two lip balms that I feel happy with. They acutally moisturize my lips and they won’t slowly poison me or anyone I kiss (Valentine’s Day is coming don’t you know).  Here’s my choices.

1.  Spa Sisters Lip Butter – my favourites are the Vanilla Fudge Lip Butter and the Shea Lip Butter click here to check them out.

2.  Eco Lips Pure & Simple Balms – my favourite flavours are Kiwi-Strawberry and Grape click here to check them out.

You can buy Spa Sisters Lip Butters online (they have amazing customer service) and at a few select retail locations.  You can get Eco Lips online and at most health food stores that carry beauty products.

Both lines are all-natural and gluten-free. Yes, some beauty products contain gluten.

I don’t hesitate to let my babes put some lip balm on now.

So now you need to read your beauty product labels for: parabens, phenol, petroleum AND gluten!  I know, I’ve given you one more thing to think about.  Sorry!

What do you use on your lips?  Leave a comment and share one of your favourite brands with us.

Martina February 5, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Yeah! I’m the first to comment on your lipbalm post. Dude, I have A LOT to say about the balms. I have about 5 balms on or about my person at any given time…
In my right pants pocket: Eco Lips Kiwi Strawberry (I prefer the coconut and the mint and the berry) In my planner to my left, a Bert’s Bees natural (peppermint) and a pomegranate. In my desk drawer: a desert essence aloe vera(m’eh), a BB’s honey, and a JR Watkins Beeswax Vanilla.

I have schmeared on the Carmex many a time, but for years, my go-to balm was Natural Ice mentholatum for the soothing penetrate-yness. Alas, it’s a super-duper petrochemical lip bath. Boo.

so now, my go-to balm for my waaay chapped lips is Burt’s Bees natural. All.The.Way.

Martina February 5, 2010 at 2:30 pm

One more thing…I heart lip balm so much that our wedding favours? Lipbalms… with custom labels that said “sealed with a kiss”! How cute is that?

Heather February 5, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Great finds! I use Badger Lip Balm, specifically the Unscented. I am not just a fine of flavored ones for some reason.

I also like their cocoa butter lip balm http://bit.ly/cG6xj6

Jen February 5, 2010 at 4:43 pm

I have been doing a lot more research lately about what goes into my cosmetics, thanks for this post!! Very helpful!

Heather February 5, 2010 at 7:06 pm

I love that Martina was the first to post – very appropriate.
She is my lip balm queen.
My fav is Eco-Lips Grape.

ps: I’m a Burt’s ex-patriot. Loved for a long time, but too minty!

Martina February 5, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Maggie
first, I love that you have a clear separation between lip balms and lip glosses. It seems very obvious that they are two v. different things for very different purposes, yet this fact eludes many.
I’m still old-school and liking Lip Smackers for a chemically treat. I’ll also have to say Burt’s Bees again…luv theit pot glosses. Other than that, I don’t really have too many…the BB pomegranate is kinda a glosss. Alba, eh? i’ll look into it! what flavour colour do you recommend?

Heidi Kelly February 6, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Lip Balm is my “crack!” If I were told that I was going to be stranded in the Mojave Desert and could bring only one thing: lip balm or water… I’d pick the lip balm! Carmex was difficult to wean off of for me too but I did not go very far, Blistex in the blue pot. I need something better, thank you for the suggestions! :-)

Sara February 7, 2010 at 11:30 am

We’re addicted to Burt’s Bees – the kids don’t like how it ‘burns’! Does Spa Sisters Shea Butter work on lips for kids?

Shannon February 9, 2010 at 8:44 am

Just had to comment…I recently found your website in a desire to incorporate more gluten free eating in our life. The Spa Sisters (well 1/2 of) are friends of mine…thanks for promoting them! They have AWESOME products for adults and babies!