Gluten-Free Pizza Dough Recipe

by Maggie on January 4, 2010

gluten free pizza dough

We have been making our own pizza crust for a long time.  In fact, it has turned us into pizza snobs.  Don’t invite me over for a store bought crust.  Just kidding, I’m there for your company not your food.  No wait, I lie.  I’m a foodie.  I LOVE food.  Good food.

Speaking of good food, I was at my sister-in-laws for Christmas dinner.  She has a big sign on her wall above the stove that reads EAT.  I love it.  I love to eat as long as it meets my requirements: healthy and so so so yummy.  It’s wasted calories otherwise.

Pizza is one of our favourite meals because we make killer pizza in our house.  We make our own pizza dough, we pre-cook the veggies, we usually make our own sauces, and we have a pizza stone.  You kind of have to make your own pizza when gluten-free is your way.  You can buy store-bought gluten-free pizza, but it’s just not the same.  And you know it.

I’m warning you now, once you make your own crust you may have trouble doing anything but.  Here’s our recipe which has been adapted, and adapted, and adapted from the Joy of Cooking: All About Vegetarian cookbook.  Make sure you read the entire recipe and the notes.

Gluten-Free Pizza Dough

Combine the following ingredients in the bowl of your mixer (your KitchenAid if you are blessed by the baking Goddesses):

• 2 1/4 teaspoons of active dry yeast
  • 1 and 1/3 cups warm water (I don’t take the temperature of my water, I just turn the tap to hot and let it run while getting my measuring cup out)

Let this mixture sit until the yeast is dissolved and it looks lovely and poofy in your bowl.  Callum and I like watching this happen!

While you’re waiting for the yeast to do its thing, mix the following ingredients in a medium-sized bowl:

• 3 and 2/3 cups gluten-free all-purpose mix (my most successful crust used my bean-free mix)
  • 1/2 cup sorghum flour  OR sweet rice flour (set aside to add to the dough while it is mixing/kneading)
  • 1 tablespoon sea salt
  • 1 tablespoon cane sugar
  • 4 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for greasing

*You could also add fresh garlic and/or any combination of fresh or dried herbs.

1. Add the dry ingredients to the yeast mixture.
  2. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil while mixing the dry and wet ingredients.
  3. Mix on low speed until all the ingredients are combined.
  4. Knead on medium speed for 10 minutes.  You will need to stop the mixer a couple of times to wipe the sides down and add the sorghum flour as needed.
  5. After 10 minutes, remove the dough from the mixer (you should be able to do this).  Place dough in a greased bowl and let rise covered and in a warm place for at least one hour.
  6. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Place your pizza stone in the oven (if you have one, if not don’t worry).
  7. Divide the dough into 4 smaller balls and cover each ball loosely with a tea towel or plastic wrap.  Let sit for 10 minutes.
  8. Flatten each ball of dough on a piece of floured parchment paper – this is important as you won’t be able to move the flattened dough again until it’s cooked!  I usually do this with my hands or with a floured rolling pin.
  9. Pour 2 tablespoons of olive oil into a small bowl.
  10. Make fingertip dents in your flattened dough and then coat the dough with olive oil.  Let rest again for 10 minutes.  This step will ensure that your gluten-free pizza crust doesn’t dry up and flake out on you.
  11. Pre-bake each shell in your preheated oven for 6-10 minutes, depending on your choice of toppings.  Pre-baking is KEY for gluten-free crusts.  I usually remove the parchment paper after this step and place the pre-baked shell directly on my stone.
  12. Decorate pizza shells as desired (check out my pesto recipe) and bake for another 6-10 minutes, depending on your choice of toppings.  Cool on a wire rack.  My sister-in-law and her family cut their pizza with scissors.  And it works!  Who needs a fancy-schmancy pizza wheel?  Just be prepared for messy scissors.

AND NOW FOR THE ‘NOTES':

– This recipe looks complicated but it’s HOMEMADE PIZZA DOUGH for goodness’ sake.  And it’s gluten-free.  If you want fast, PIZZA PIZZA makes GF crust now.  Heehee.

– The first time you do this it might be tricky but it will get easier every time you do it.  I promise you.  My notes for the first time I made this dough (and that was with wheat flour) read:”takes a while but crust is great”.  See!  Worth it.   Yes, I write notes in all of my cookbooks.

– Lately I’ve been using sweet rice flour instead of sorghum flour.  The result is a lighter and more puffy crust.  We prefer it this way.

– It’s easier to work with smaller sized pizza dough, which is why I suggest dividing the dough into 4 balls.  If you divide it in half it might crumble or break into two pieces.

– Always remember that you’re working with gluten-free dough.  It won’t be like regular pizza dough.  Be patient.  Think positive thoughts.  Have a lovely glass of wine within reach at all times.

– You can barbeque this crust.  Oh yes you can and oh yes you should.  Just make sure you pre-bake the crust in the oven so it hardens up.  Then decorate your ‘za and place it on the top rack of your BBQ.  WATCH it so it doesn’t burn!

– I strongly recommend the pre-baking when working with gluten-free crusts.  Otherwise your shell won’t be cooked through.

– I have tried a few flour combos.  I have even made this recipe with just rice flour.  It was very crumbly and a little too gritty but it still worked.  If you don’t have sorghum flour, try something else that you do have (like quinoa, rice, millet, amaranth).  Sometimes I use sweet rice flour instead of the sorghum flour.  This makes for a slightly fluffier crust.  Looks pretty!

– Our dough is usually a little different every time, but it gets better every time we make it.

My little dude LOVES getting his hands on the dough!

– When we make bruschetta pizza we pre-bake the shell as usual and then fry them in a little bit of olive oil, flipping once.  So we don’t use cheese but we make up for it elsewhere.

Ann-Marie January 5, 2010 at 6:45 am

Thanks Mags! I will try it this week and let you know how it works out – wish me luck! AM x

mom January 13, 2010 at 8:04 am

I did try it this weekend and it was very successful!!!!! The crust was crispy and the flavour was yummy. This is definitely a recipe I will use again and again.
This recipe would be great for family and company too!
from one pizza snob to another…..

Emily January 14, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Hey Maggie,

I haven’t had a chance to make the pizza yet, but I’ve bought all the ingredients for the GF flour mix. I went to Bulk Barn and found Brown Rice flour and Tapioca flour, and I found Xantham Gum at the Canadian Superstore. A woman there told me about a natural food store called Ambrosia, which I just went to yesterday. It’s in Thornhill, and it has everything! A great bulk section of flours, nuts and seeds, a section of supplements, fresh produce, specialty items (I bought some delicious French Roast Organic and Fair Trade coffee). I mixed the flours together yesterday and I’m going to make the pizza this weekend and I’m very excited. I’m planning to make one with pesto and one with potatoes (with olive oil and rosemary). I’ll let you know how it turns out! Thanks for all the hard work you do to make GF food more accessible and yummy! And by the way, the new design looks great :)

Mikki January 22, 2010 at 6:42 pm

Hello there!
Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!! Yours is soo cute!! Love it!

I just made my very first homemade pizza crust tonight. It turned out AWESOME! I can’t wait to blog about it. I’m sure I’ll be becoming a pizza snob too. LOL!!

Can’t wait to start following your blog, but first I need to find your RSS feed… going to look now :-)

Have a great weekend!

Heidi Kelly March 11, 2010 at 11:26 am

I love it Maggie! I actually really like cheese-less pizza, even though I do not have to be dairy-free. It means I can have more pizza since I saved on the fat and calories from no cheese! :-)

Jenn/CinnamonQuill March 29, 2010 at 6:04 pm

What a wonderful looking recipe. I’d love to dig my hands into that dough. It’s been too long since we’ve had pizza. I’m going to give your recipe a try, for sure! And, I agree with Heidi Kelly up there, cheesless pizza is THE WAY. I can finally eat huge amounts of pizza without thinking I totally over-indulged. YES.

Annie April 14, 2010 at 9:23 am

Kyle made this crust for me yesterday for my birthday and it was awesome! I happened to have some Bob’s mix so he used it rather than yours. His is more of a bean mix and it did end up being a little bit crumbly so we’ll try your bean free mix next time. Other than that it was delish! Even the comments from the wheat lovers in the hosue were few and far between!

Chickiepea August 3, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Can’t wait to try this!! We had been buying a GF pizza mix, but then I started noticing a reaction to corn, so we have been pizza-less lately. Thank you!

Rose October 3, 2012 at 9:56 am

After pre-baking the pizza crust, can one let it cool and then put on the toppings and do the final bake hours later? I need to send a pizza crust to a birthday party with my daughter where they are making their own pizzas. No one else`s crust will need a pre-bake so I thought it would be best to pre-bake it at home in advance, if possible.

Pat November 17, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Thanks so much for the awesome pizza dough recipe Since we went wheat and Gluten free after reading the boo, Wheat Belly, I have been trying pizza dough recipes that I have found. I prepared a wonderful pizza today using your recipe. My hubby and I loved it and couldn’t believe it was not only wheat and gluten free but also low carb. Thanks so much. I plan to check out your other recipes too.

Kate November 18, 2012 at 3:41 pm

HELP!!! Ok, my boys love the quinoa banana muffins and the sandwich vegan bread. Here’s my first seriously failed attempt! I am now 1 and 1/2 hours and one extra trip to the grocery store into trying to make this pizza crust. I can’t get the yeast to react in the warm water. For my second and third attempt I even measured the water temp. Can I be that unlucky that the dry active yeast is dead from multiple companies/stores? (First batch was bought in bulk; the second in packets. Both with good expiration dates.) My house isn’t super warm– could that chill the mixture too much. I know that it takes 3-6 minutes for the reaction to begin. How long is the whole process to take?

Boys and I are bummed. And now I have to figure out what I can quickly throw together for a family whose members have a combination of sensitivities/allergies to wheat, soy, eggs, corn, dairy, nuts, safflower, cinnamon, sesame, and I’m probably forgetting something. :-(

Amy April 8, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Thank you for sharing this GREAT recipe! Also love your vanilla cupcake recipe. SUCH AN IMPROVEMENT over those bean-flour recipes!! This year’s birthday cupcakes and pizza taste way better and WITHOUT the gas!! Also wanted to mention i found a terrific icing recipe that has only a few ingredients: sunflower paste/butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and coconut milk; i wanted to get away from the Carrageenan in rice milk and just wanted to try to make it from scratch. Can’t wait to try out your other recipes! Mahalo and aloha from Hawai’i