Pete and I no longer put cheese on our pizza.
Instead, we’ve taken to making a lot of pesto because nothing tastes better than pesto pizza. Oh. My. God. You must try it if you haven’t. Though let me warn you, once you try it, you won’t go back to canned tomato sauce and cheese and toppings. Trust me.
This is our standard pesto recipe. Normally I just wing it and throw the ingredients in the food processor. But tonight I was kind enough to measure it out for you, my dear readers. Feel free to add parmesan cheese but I really don’t think it’s necessary.
Walnut Pesto Sans Fromage
3 cloves of garlic (we sometimes roast our garlic so it’s a little easier to digest)
3 cups of loosely packed basil
1 cup of walnuts (you could also use the terribly expensive pine nut)
1/4 tsp – 1/2 tsp of sea salt
Ground pepper to taste
1/2 cup of olive oil
Place all of the ingredients, except the olive oil, into a food processor. Blend until the ingredients are almost to a paste. While the processor is running add the olive oil. Store pesto the fridge no longer than one week.
- I love to put pesto on my pizza sans fromage.
- Pete LOVES to put pesto on Mary’s Gone Crackers crackers.
- Callum likes to put pesto on toast
- We have served pesto as an appetizer on garlic bread, on a baguette, or with crackers and cheese.
- We also like to use ours as a pasta sauce. Holy yummy.
- My girl Heather puts lemon juice in her pesto and it is a really tasty change from the usual.
P.S. I LOVE watching Callum eat pesto. Holy packed with nutrition! I was proud when my mom once asked me why Callum had garlic breath.
P.P.S. When I don’t have enough basil I will use any green that has some flavour (kale or spinach work well combined with basil).
P.P.P.S The pizza dough recipe is coming. I think we’ve perfected it!
Check out more healthy and yummy recipes here.