Gluten-Free Flour Mix – Bean-Free

by Maggie on December 31, 2009

GF All Purpose Flour Mix from She Let Them Eat Cake.Com #glutenfree

This is my latest mix that I created thanks to some research and some experimentation.  You can find my first GF baking mix here – it is a bean flour mix and the more I used it, the more I found the bean taste was bothering me in some of my recipes.  In particular, I didn’t like it when used in pizza dough or when used in muffins.

This new mix is a one you can use in pretty much any recipe that calls for a gluten/wheat flour. I always add a little extra GF flour though.  GF flours are so fine in comparison to wheat/gluten flours so you have to make up for the weight somewhere.

Gluten-Free Flour Mix (Bean-Free)

• 2 cups brown rice flour OR sorghum flour (a grain flour)
  • 2 cups tapioca flour (a binding flour)
  • 2/3 cup millet flour (a second grain flour)
  • 3 tsp xanthan gum OR guar gum (a binder)

I store my mixes in an air-tight container on my counter or in a cupboard for approximately 2 weeks.  I usually use it all up within that time period.  I would move it to the freezer if you were going to go any longer.

I used this mix in my pizza dough recipe – recipe coming very soon.  I think it was our best dough ever.  It didn’t crumble, it didn’t taste odd, it just tasted like yummy pizza!  We were happy, happy, happy pizza eaters.

I’ve also tried this in a brownie recipe I am working on.  I just pulled it out of the oven so I’ll let you know as soon as it’s cool enough to taste!

Please do let me know if you try my mixes.  I would love to hear all about your She Let Them Eat Cake inspired adventures.  Good and bad.

Ann-Marie January 4, 2010 at 5:36 am

Ok I have my flours, although I couldn’t find brown rice flour here, only white. Now I eagerly await your pizza dough recipe :)

Morag May 10, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Thanks for this Maggie. I really don’t like the bean taste at all and have been searching for an alternative. Can I use this for your bread reciepe as well?

thanks

Mo

Spring March 23, 2011 at 10:41 am

This is my favorite combo of flours… thanks for the ratio for an all-purpose mix to have on hand.. I’m going to have to try doing that!

Spring March 23, 2011 at 10:42 am

Oh a quick question! Do you have a place that tells which recipes (or sorts of recipes) are best for your different flour mixes?

Brooke Lyon July 21, 2011 at 7:08 pm

I just wanted to thank you for your amazing recipe. I tried it out last week and it was the best banana bread I have ever eaten. My family is still shocked that I became vegan last year so I thoroughly enjoy letting them try baked goods that don’t involve eggs and dairy. You are an awesome baker Maggie!

crystal charboneau September 19, 2011 at 4:23 pm

can you use teff flour in place of the millet flour?

donna December 6, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Hi. So happy to find your site. I have wheat/gluten/rice/corn/oats allergies. I would love to try yr gluten free mix. I have a question what can i use instead of the garbanzo flour as i cannt use that either? I would appreciate any suggestions. Then i presume this mix can be subbed in for any recipe? I am new o this and so confused thanks so much for all u do and sharing with others.

donna December 6, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Hi im sorry also wanted to mention subbing the xanthun or guar gum with coconut flour? Thanks

Elizabeth Liu January 9, 2012 at 6:19 am

I love your site. I just stumbled upon it and am quite excited. I’m just now going gluten free for 5 weeks since my 6 week old has terrible cramps when I eat it (as I am breastfeeding) and I just read “wheat belly” which is an EXCELLENT book written on why modern wheat is bad for you with many studies, information and history. One thing the author mentioned however, was that starches such as tapioca, potato and others used in GF cooking raises your blood sugar more than wheat or even table sugar. Have you read any info on that or can you offer some alternatives? I’m just begining my GF journey and would love your advice.
Thanks!

Farzana March 28, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Can I sub the brown rice flour for sorghum? I am trying to avoid too much rice. It makes me constipated :-(

Farzana March 28, 2012 at 1:40 pm

I think I am gonna make your pumpkin loaf for my hubbie’s b’day !

Diana April 6, 2012 at 11:25 pm

Hi! I’m just beginning to experiment with GF baking since I recently discovered that I am gluten intolerant. I have been trying to find a good flour mix…I happen to have sorghum and brown rice flour…can I use both for the grains in the mix? I know you suggest using sorghum or brown rice and then millet, but if I can, and you think it will be OK, I want make a flour batch with what I have. THANK YOU!

Diana

Jennifer September 16, 2012 at 11:56 am

I just recently found out my daughter is allergic to wheat and gluten AND cane sugar. It’s hard for her to be vegan and now having to eliminate things like bread and sweets from her diet, for a 15 year old she thinks her life is over. I’m so happy I came across your flour recipe! Thank you! Last night I made the lentil soup that my family LOVES, and normally I make a loaf of yummy dense oat bread…but this time I made it with your flour mix. She came to the table looking at the bread and she got a sad look on her face and then said, “it’s off limits to me huh?” I was happy to tell her it’s special for her. She was very excited and EVERYBODY loved the flavor and they won’t miss the old recipe!!! Thanks again!!!

Rose October 1, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Could potato starch or something else replace the tapioca flour?

Carol December 14, 2012 at 2:42 pm

I have a family receipe for filled raisen and pineapple cookies and would like to know if I could just substitute all purpose gf flower with regular flower to make this dough. I am really new to gf and these are our favorite for the holidays. I would appreciate any help. Also, did anyone ever make gf pizzells.

Carol

Mélanie January 30, 2013 at 7:20 am

You say to use a bit more GF flour than regular wheat flour in recipes… How much more would you use? For a recipe calling for, say 1 3\4 cups of flour, would you use 2 cups of GF flour?

joanna perrin April 3, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Hi Maggie,
I’m excited to try this flour mix. I just want to ask if Tapioca Flour and Tapioca starch are the same.

Thanks so much,
Joanna

lynn October 18, 2013 at 10:03 pm

Have used ur mix in several recipes + it worked beautifully. It made great muffins, cookies + nrownies! Thanks so much.

Trisha April 5, 2014 at 10:41 am

Hello!
I was wondering if this dough can be frozen and if you had a replacement for the millet flour?
Trisha

Trish August 8, 2014 at 2:03 am

Hi Maggie!
I was wondering if you had a list of flour substitutions by flour type? Thanks!

Marilyn L August 10, 2014 at 9:01 pm

Hi Maggie… I was wondering if you could set your Print ‘button’ so that only the recipe or a picture of the recipe gets printed… I prefer not to use my color inks for pictures in “related posts’, etc. and I don’t want to print out all the comments… I usually add notes from the Comments to my printed recipe that are relevant to me. Thanks so much for sharing your efforts to help those of us who are GF… Marilyn

Marilyn L August 10, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Re: my previous comment above…apparently, this was an older post, and your newer recipes have a satisfactory Print function… thanks… M.