Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free and Egg-Free Oat Macaroons

by Maggie on November 24, 2009

These babies are so delish and nutritious too – what more can you ask for in a treat?

They are traditionally called macaroons, but I’ve revamped them a bit for those of us who are not big fans of shredded coconut.  For me it’s the texture of shredded coconut.  And I feel like I need to spend too much time chewing something that’s not all that tasty (the shreds).

I got this recipe from my friend Annie who calls them Annie’s Fabulous Macaroons -and baby, they are fabulous.  They are also very easy.  I consider them a health food – just look at the ingredients and try to argue with me.

Fabulous Gluten-Free & Vegan Macaroons

2/3 cup of agave syrup or maple syrup

1/4 cup of vegan butter (Earth Balance or Coconut Oil)

5 tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder or raw cacao powder

1/2 cup of almond butter or cashew butter

1 cup of gluten-free oats or 1 1/4 cup quinoa flakes

1 tsp of vanilla

Combine the butter, agave, and cocoa over medium heat in a medium-sized saucepan.  Bring to a boil and let boil for three minutes (stirring to prevent the mixture from sticking to the bottom of the saucepan).

Remove from heat and stir in the remaining ingredients.  Drop heaping tablespoons onto parchment paper and chill for 60 minutes to set.  If you (really, really, really) want to eat them sooner (I do, I do, I do) put them in the freezer to set.

NOTES:

Annie uses butter or canola oil where I used vegan butter.

Annie (being a lover of shredded coconut) uses 2/3 cup of rolled oats and 1/3 cup of coconut.

This recipe makes 16 macaroons.  I have tried doubling the recipe (for obvious reasons) and they just don’t set the same.

Christa November 25, 2009 at 9:09 am

oh i am all over this

MaggieSavage November 25, 2009 at 11:08 am

Christa I love you and your loyal readership!! Please let me know how yours turn out.

Susan November 27, 2009 at 12:08 pm

Sounds yummy! I may have to give these a try – although, I have to admit, I have never heard or seen agave before. Details on where to find it?

MaggieSavage November 27, 2009 at 12:39 pm

They are yummy – a good treat to make during nap-time :) You can get agave at Loblaws (well, Keith can!). In the health food section. But feel free to use maple syrup. Works just as well. Let me know if you do make them!

Roxanne June 27, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Yes, it is 11:09 and I needed a quick “take to work snack” for tomorrow so I checked your blog. I wanted a gluten-free alternative due to a few allergies at work and this is what I made. I used Quinoa flakes instead of quick oats and they turned out really well. Thanks for always inspiring me!!

Maggie June 28, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Mmm Rox, this is a really lucky and yummy work snack! Wish I worked with you :) And you know I am serious. xoxo

Wendy December 3, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Hi…your blog is filled with awesome-ness :)
Any idea how much quinoa flakes to use, if I use coconut in this recipe?

Maggie December 4, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Thanks so much Wendy – come back any time :) I would try 3/4 cup quinoa flakes and 1/2 cup coconut. I’ve never made it this way, but that’s what I would do if I were in your shoes! Let me know how it goes.