Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free & Egg-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies

by Maggie on November 16, 2009

This one is for my most excellent sista-in-law who is in need of some super healthy treats for her babes.

Callum and I headed into the kitchen this afternoon during Livvie’s nap.  He has become my master mixer and is easily coerced into baking on this premise.

“Callum, how can I bake without you to do my mixing?”
“Okay Mommy, but can I have some chocolate chips?”

I definitely did not eat dark chocolate chips at the age of three.  And I don’t think I had the negotiation skills either.  We are in for some interesting arguments over the years!

Ann-Marie is looking for some low-sugar treats so I took this as a challenge and here’s what I came up with.

There are many spots for modifications to be made so don’t let this recipe scare you off.  Read my notes and see how these babies can easily be your babies too.

Vegan and Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 1/3 cups of GF mix (I used the same mix that I used for my shortbread cookies)

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/4 cup agave

1/4 tsp sea salt

1/4 cup real maple syrup

1/2 tsp molasses

1 tsp vanilla

1/4 cup coconut oil – melted

1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Line a cookie sheet with parchment.

In the bowl of your mixer, combine the flour, baking powder and soda, and sea salt.  In a separate bowl combine the agave, maple syrup, molasses, and vanilla.  Add the coconut oil and combine.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined (don’t forget to add the chocolate chips).

Drop spoonfuls of the cookie dough onto the parchment – leave 1-2 inches between.  My dough was pretty goopy.  Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.  Let cool on the tray for a couple of minutes and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely – unless they get eaten first.  Nothing better than warm cookies…

Yield: Just over one dozen cookies

Notes:

Use brown rice flour if you don’t have a mix kicking around.  I’ve done this and they’re pretty yummy this way too.

Add more agave if you don’t have maple syrup – just keep in mind that agave is quite sweet.

You could use canola or olive oil, or any type of oil for that matter.

I often double this recipe and then freeze half of the dough for future use.  I do this by placing spoonfuls of dough on a plate, freezing them for 20-30 minutes, then placing the balls in a freezer bag.  They make a delicious treat right out of the freezer too.

Enjoy.

Ready to go in the oven

Ready to go in the oven

Just out of the oven, notice mine didn't spread much

Just out of the oven, notice mine didn't spread much

Ann-Marie November 18, 2009 at 2:23 am

Thanks Mags – I love you! We will try these this week xx

Stephanie November 18, 2009 at 11:22 am

Hey, here is a challenge. Can you develop a list of the most commonly used ingredients in your recipes. By which I mean, the “pantry essentials” for the no-gluten baker? You know, the kind of list I can take into the Quarter Master and say “I need these things…..” Haha!

MaggieSavage November 18, 2009 at 6:30 pm

AM – I love you too!! I’ve been thinking about you and your girlie all week. I’m working on a GF , low-sugar pastry since I know La Suissies LOVE their pastries.
Miss Stephanie – that is a glorious idea!! I am on it. I’ll work on it tonight and see what I can come up with. Thanks for checking in.

Annie November 19, 2009 at 2:24 pm

Delish! I made these cookies using brown rice flour with a little added xanthan gum and used twice the maple syrup since I was out of agave. I must say I was a little sceptical when I saw that there was neither butter nor egg in this recipe but was VERY pleasantly surprised with the outcome. Just as good as the traditional white flour and sugar kind minus the guilt!

MaggieSavage November 19, 2009 at 7:42 pm

Yes, don’t you love the “minus the guilt” factor!!! Glad they worked out well for you.

Nancy @ TheSensitivePantry February 20, 2011 at 2:52 pm

I might just go make a batch of these now. It’s always nice to have a good chocolate chip cookie lying about the house…just in case you get a craving.

Maggie February 20, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Hi Nancy – There’s just something comforting about knowing there’s a chocolate chip cookie in the jar if you need it! And really, one can never have enough cookie recipes!

Emily Stewart September 30, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Maggie, how many cookies does one batch make?

Maggie September 30, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Hey Emily – It’s a small batch, so just over a dozen? I’ll add it to the recipe. I posted this in the early days :) I often double it. Thanks for reading xo

Julia February 3, 2012 at 5:25 pm

I have to admit, I was a little skeptical of these cookies at first… with the consistency of the mixed goopy dough. I was thinking I was going to end up with another cookie soup (as in past attempts with vegan, GF baking). But I am smiling now… having just pulled these cookies out of the oven… can hardly wait for them to cool enough so I may eat them! Thanks for the recipe :-) I used the mix from your sugar cookie recipe which I had leftover from holiday baking.

Maggie February 4, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Yay, thanks Julia! I’m so glad you enjoyed them. Thanks for sharing on our facebook page too :)

Erin January 11, 2014 at 5:52 pm

My biggest concern when it comes to baking is egg free and nut free (my daughter is allergic to both). Will your recipes work if I use a regular, all purpose white flour along with the other ingredients you have listed? Just thought I’d check before I jumped in and gave it a shot. Thank you for what you are doing here. I certainly makes life easier for those of us who are having to learn to live without things in our diets. Especially things that seem to be everywhere! lol!

Maggie January 13, 2014 at 9:06 am

Hi Erin – I’m not sure if it would work or not since I haven’t tried the recipes with gluten-full flours. You’d have to experiment.
Let me know if you have any other questions!
Maggie

Erin January 11, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Just made these. I used regular all purpose flour. They were pretty tasty! I don’t care for molases so I think I’ll leave that out next time. My kids loved them. My 7 year old said “It’s like heaven fell down and turned in to cookies!” and “I can taste angels in them!”

Maggie January 13, 2014 at 9:06 am

Oh Erin, that’s so sweet! Hooray! So glad they worked out for you.
Thanks for letting us know!
Maggie