Quinoa Brownies

by Maggie on October 1, 2009

quinoa brownies

Brownies For Breakfast

Got your attention, didn’t I?

Isn’t it a wonderful thought?

Well, your idea of brownies for breakfast may differ from mine.  These were Quinoa Breakfast Brownies brought to you by the wonderful blogger Karina from The Gluten-Free Goddess.

I know what you’re thinking.  Quinoa?  In a brownie?  That’s actually what attracted me.  Certainly you know the health benefits of quinoa by now!  Treats like these are guilt-free.  Trust me.  With Karina’s permission, I have reprinted the recipe and noted the changes I made. Here’s Karina’s recipe.

Quinoa Brownies

• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla*
  • 2 large eggs OR 6 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 to 4 tablespoons of warm water, as needed
  • 1/2 cup golden raisins or chopped dried fruit
  • 2/3 cup dairy-free chocolate chips or chopped nuts

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease two 8 x 8 pans, or a 9 x 13 pan.*
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
3. In a large measuring cup blend olive oil, maple syrup, and vanilla.
4. Combine the wet and dry ingredients with a sturdy wooden spoon until you get a sticky batter.  You can also use your KitchenAid to do this.
5. Add the eggs OR applesauce to the batter and combine well. The dough should be thick and rather sticky.
6. Add enough water to achieve a dough that sticks together when you pinch it- much like cookie dough.
7. Fold in raisins and chocolate chips/nuts
8. Spread the batter into the prepared baking pan, and using wet hands, smooth the surface evenly. Place the pan into the center of a pre-heated oven and bake until golden and set – about 22 to 30 minutes until the top is golden brown and the center is firm. Insert a thin knife to check if you are unsure to make certain the center has baked thoroughly.
9. Remove from over and cool on a wire rack. Using a thin sharp knife, cut into squares; wrap them in foil; bag in a freezer storage bag. Freeze. Delicious slightly chilled.

Yield:  15 to 18 brownies.

Unfortunately the brownies didn’t last long enough to freeze, or chill.  They lasted until about 2pm when Callum and I finished them off with a cup of tea.  Honestly, these were so good.  They looked good too – very rustic and comfy, like yummy comfort food.

I chose to make half the batch (so only one 8 x 8 pan) and froze the other half.  I love to do this with dough (muffins, cookies, and now breakfast brownies) as it lets me bake something fast when we’re having company or when we really need something delish.

And you should probably try drizzling them with melted chocolate chips – you won’t regret it!

*where I made changes to her recipe

berryliciousbanner600x122

Ann-Marie October 6, 2009 at 1:45 am

Great blog Mags! My kids are going to love you – brownies for breakfast!

Stephanie November 21, 2009 at 1:04 pm

Ok, I made these this morning. So yummy – even Northern boy ate them! I think I will make them Christmas morning with dried cherries instead of raisins!

Stephanie November 25, 2009 at 12:36 pm

I forgot to buy potato starch (as I had Sydney AND Jason in the Quarter Master with me) so I used corn starch instead.

Annie December 16, 2009 at 7:41 am

Had a little bake-a-thon yesterday and these bad boys were first on the list. So good! I could eat the whole tray. I couldn’t find quinoa flakes so I used kamut flakes instead. They seemed a tad bit crunchy in comparison to yours but still lovely.

Ann-Marie January 17, 2010 at 11:13 am

Hi Mags, Claire suggested we add mashed bananas to the brownies. Not the same consistency but still great.

MaggieSavage January 25, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Thanks AM for the mashed bananas idea. I’ve used applesauce successfully too. 6 tablespoons in place of the eggs. How many bananas did you mash?

claire January 27, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Hi,
I love the brounies!And for the bananas you need to put in two meideum siez.

love Claire

Steph August 14, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Yummy brownies! I froze half the batch right away or else I would have eaten them all myself. My kids inhaled them. Great recipe, thanks!

Carolyn Savage January 15, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Hey Mags – as you know Paul, Kaitlyn and myself all loves these. In an effort to “lighten” them up (calorie wise) here is what I did and the results are marvelous !! It came out almost “cake like” this time, very light, one might say they were fluffy!!!! Paul said it was like having apple cinnamon coffee cake.
I put only 1/2 cup olive oil (plan to try with even less next time-maybe 1/3)
Added 1/2 cup organic unsweetened applesauce. This made the batter a bit wet so I added 1/4 cup ground flax. I used 1/3 cup less sugar and had to use Turbinado (can’t find Sucanat). Next time I plan to try just one cup of sugar as I think they will be sweet enough. I left the chocolate chips in for Kaitlyn but used a little less. These are now a staple in the house thanks to you !!!

Carolyn Savage January 19, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Oh and I forgot, I put in 2 eggs but left out a yolk ! Paul took some to work – they were popular !!

Amy August 19, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Hi Maggie, after tasting this creation at Nata’s in downtown Peterborough I just had to bake them! The quinoa that I used remained crunchy after baking. I’m wondering if I used the wrong type of quinoa? – it was labeled as ‘quinoa’ at the bulk barn – does it need to be the flakes? and if so, is there an alternative to using quinoa flakes?

megs January 8, 2013 at 7:46 pm

These always turn out perfectly delicious! thanks for the recipe!

Mei July 23, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Hi Maggie:
It’s Mei here again :)
I made this on the weekend, it was greatttttttttttttttt. we all loved it, sooo good. I froze some, and has been taking out one piece everyday, my son and I would share it in the morning. thank you. Have a wonderful summer.